Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal's performance in the future wimbledons (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=303179)

Clay lover 12-22-2009 03:46 AM

Nadal's performance in the future wimbledons

Well, Nadal's future hardcourt success is currently under heated discussion:twisted: and it is getting a little old for me.

I just want to hear your opinions on his future performance in Wimbledon. We haven't been able to see Nadal on grass this year (I mean REAL matches) and I wonder how well he can perform when he is back next year at the grass season.

On one hand, we can say that the big hitters have already got Nadal's number and they can translate their hardcourt success against Nadal on to the grass surface. But on the other hand, one could also argue that Nadal has traditionally struggled on fast hardcourts anyway and this is irrelevant to his grasscourt success, and he may well pick up his confidence and step up his game as a three-time finalist and 08 champion on his favourite surface (that's what he says).

I presonally don't have a clue. That's why I am asking for your opinions. However, I certainly do HOPE that he will come back to be a strong grasscourt player next year so that things will be interesting again:)

batz 12-22-2009 03:54 AM

Rafa will be a threat on grass for some years to come.

pame 12-22-2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay lover (Post 4214057)
Well, Nadal's future hardcourt success is currently under heated discussion:twisted: and it is getting a little old for me.

I just want to hear your opinions on his future performance in Wimbledon. We haven't been able to see Nadal on grass this year (I mean REAL matches) and I wonder how well he can perform if he is back to his full health next year during the grass season.

On one hand, we can say that the big hitters have already got Nadal's number and they can translate their hardcourt success against Nadal on to the grass surface. But on the other hand, one could also argue that Nadal has traditionally struggled on fast hardcourts anyway and this is irrelevant to his grasscourt success, and he may well pick up his confidence and step up his game as a three-time finalist and 08 champion on his favourite surface (that's what he says).

I presonally don't have a clue. That's why I am asking for your opinions. However, I certainly do HOPE that he will come back to be a strong grasscourt player next year so that things will be interesting again:)

Well, if he performs well, he's back to full health; if he performs poorly, then he's injured/exhaused/not healthy/suffering from hair loss -- at least so goes the ********* mantra :-?

Clay lover 12-22-2009 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pame (Post 4214071)
Well, if he performs well, he's back to full health; if he performs poorly, then he's injured/exhaused/not healthy/suffering from hair loss -- at least so goes the ********* mantra :-?

lol. you are right. Ill just take that section away to avoid controvery:)

clayman2000 12-22-2009 06:25 AM

All I know is that Nadal is currently riding a 12 game grass win streak.

As for his play on grass, I think he will always be better there then on hard courts. Plain and simply their are more upsets at Wimbledon because of the surface. As per normal, Rafa should be able to get to the QF simply because of his rank and consistency. Then instead of having to play Gonzo -- Del potro like he did at the USO, you end up with a Berdych or a Gasquet.

And also grass is no longer a fast surface. If you look at the 09 Wimby final, it was as much a tactical battle from the ground as it was a serving fest. The surface is slow and low bouncing. This helps consistent hitters like Nadal.

If Murray or Djokovic or Davydenko played Nadal on grass id pick Nadal even now.

NamRanger 12-22-2009 06:44 AM

Davydenko would get clobbered by Nadal for sure; but if he runs into a redhot grass player like Roddick or Hewitt then he could be in for alot of trouble.

ksbh 12-22-2009 06:50 AM

He'll almost certainly win more Wimbledon championships. My money was on him this year and I think had he decided to play on with his injury, he would still have had a pretty good shot at it!

mandy01 12-22-2009 06:50 AM

I think Nadal will always be a favourite for Wimbledon.He's reached three finals there,winning one and I think he really worked on his game so that he would do well there.Interesting times ahead.

NamRanger 12-22-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbh (Post 4214323)
He'll almost certainly win more Wimbledon championships. My money was on him this year and I think had he decided to play on with his injury, he would still have had a pretty good shot at it!

I don't know he would have had to gone through Hewitt, Roddick, then Murray all who were playing well (especially Hewitt and Roddick, both who were red hot). And then after ALL of that, he would have had to go through a Federer who served absurdly well.

mtr1 12-22-2009 06:59 AM

I think he will reach the second week for a few more years, but as others have mentioned the likes of Roddick and other seasoned grass courters could pose difficulties. I also think that Murray could take Nadal on grass.

Cesc Fabregas 12-22-2009 07:01 AM

He'll win it next year.

Gen 12-22-2009 07:02 AM

If he can get his game together, he has a good chance. Grass is good for his motion, he slides on it no worse than he does on clay. The most difficult thing on grass is serve return, because big servers have a ball on this surface. Rafa is the best returning player on the tour. Grass is not so good for big hitters as hard, because it's uneven, sleeky and hitting hard produces too many unforced errors.

dh003i 12-22-2009 07:05 AM

It all depends on what form he regains. If his best form is behind him, then he won't reach the finals again unless lucky. If he can regain his form of 2008 or even 2007, then he is of course a favorite to get to the finals. But it isn't at all clear to me that Nadal has played better on grass than Roddick played this year, for example. So if Roddick is playing that well, that will pose a great challenge to him. Even Murray could pose a challenge.

Del Potro is unknown.

dh003i 12-22-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen (Post 4214351)
If he can get his game together, he has a good chance. Grass is good for his motion, he slides on it no worse than he does on clay. The most difficult thing on grass is serve return, because big servers have a ball on this surface. Rafa is the best returning player on the tour. Grass is not so good for big hitters as hard, because it's uneven, sleeky and hitting hard produces too many unforced errors.

I don't think he is "sliding" on grass...maybe slipping. If a player can slide at Wimbledon, that's a disgrace.

srinrajesh 12-22-2009 07:11 AM

He should definitely win 1-2 wimbledons in the future...strange that he is not able to transfer his style of play on to fast hard courts as well... his biggest win apart from slow hard AO was the olympic gold in shanghai ...

anyway i think next year could be the year nadal could complete career slam..

dh003i 12-22-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinrajesh (Post 4214377)
He should definitely win 1-2 wimbledons in the future...strange that he is not able to transfer his style of play on to fast hard courts as well... his biggest win apart from slow hard AO was the olympic gold in shanghai ...

I think he had his best chance last year. He should be able to beat Murray on HC, but he didn't. This year, Del Potro just out-classed him.

From now on, he will have to be lucky to win the USO, to even get to the finals. Next year will be his best chance for sure looking forward. But prospectively, we'll be able to say the same thing every year.

clayman2000 12-22-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtr1 (Post 4214345)
I think he will reach the second week for a few more years, but as others have mentioned the likes of Roddick and other seasoned grass courters could pose difficulties. I also think that Murray could take Nadal on grass.

Being honest with you, Murray didnt look very good on grass. yes he won Queens and SF of Wimbledon, but who did he beat. Once he ran into Roddick, who needed 5 sets to beat Hewitt and stuggled mightily against Melzer and Chardy, he was done.

I think the grass helps his 1st serve, and his FH pass, but thats really it. Roddick really hurt Murray but approaching on the BH side. Also, Murrays 2nd serve sits in perfect smaking territory on the grass.

Thats just my opinion

rommil 12-22-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinrajesh (Post 4214377)

I disagree. If he keeps following the same scheduling path and not make some changes to his game, he will not win the US Open. It was hard for him during his best year so far, it has gotten a lot harder for him from now on.

Davy_for _GOAT 12-22-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayman2000 (Post 4214414)
Being honest with you, Murray didnt look very good on grass. yes he won Queens and SF of Wimbledon, but who did he beat. Once he ran into Roddick, who needed 5 sets to beat Hewitt and stuggled mightily against Melzer and Chardy, he was done.

I think the grass helps his 1st serve, and his FH pass, but thats really it. Roddick really hurt Murray but approaching on the BH side. Also, Murrays 2nd serve sits in perfect smaking territory on the grass.

Thats just my opinion

Agree. Whom did Murray beat on grass? Wawrinka, Blake and Ferrero. He beat Gasquet last year as well, and Roddick long time ago.

He hasn't really demonstrated anything special on grass so far. My opinion at least. For one, he's not even close to Fed, Nadal or even Roddick in good form.

djokovicgonzalez2010 12-22-2009 07:34 AM

Murray may win Wimby, though I doubt it. Nadal is done, mentally and physically. I've seen some signs he's scared. Still, wait for the Capitala. Nadal could meet Davydenko in SF (hard court, I know sry.)