Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head Elite Pro (CAP) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308567)

Dino Lagaffe 01-24-2010 09:10 AM

Head Elite Pro (CAP)

I decided to post a picture of my CAPped Elite Pro. Very nice racquet, both to look at and to play with...

Head Elite Pro (CAP)
Weight: 352/12.42
Flex: 52
SW: 324

khw72004 01-24-2010 09:14 AM

One of the best playing rackets, IMO

Tennis Man 01-24-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 4319428)
I decided to post a picture of my CAPped Elite Pro. Very nice racquet, both to look at and to play with...

Head Elite Pro (CAP)

I played with it this morning. This is one of my favorite racquets ever.

How was the CAPping experience? Did you have adjust the grommets to CAP it? I didn't but retrowagon recommends it. I still wonder how it works? :)

Dino Lagaffe 01-24-2010 09:56 AM

Tennis Man, I agree, it's a terrific racquet. According to my stringer the CAPping process went smoothly, so the answer is no adjustments.

MichaelChang 01-24-2010 10:06 AM

For HEAD rackets made in the same era, the Elite Pro seems to be the rarest racket to acquire one these days.

Dino Lagaffe 01-24-2010 12:16 PM

Yeah, I love the PT600, PC600 and PT630s, but this is one sweet stick. I guess availability today reflects sales back in the day. How was it positioned price wise compared to other racquets at the time?

Bud 01-24-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 4319428)

Head Elite Pro (CAP)

That's a funky background :)

Ross K 01-24-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 4320040)
Yeah, I love the PT600, PC600 and PT630s, but this is one sweet stick. I guess availability today reflects sales back in the day. How was it positioned price wise compared to other racquets at the time?

How does it compare to the great sticks you've mentioned performance-wise?

Dino Lagaffe 01-24-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 4320060)
How does it compare to the great sticks you've mentioned performance-wise?

To me the Elite Pro feels like a nice combination of the PT630 and the PC600. It has the more muted/less crisp feel of the former and is as maneuverable and scalpel-like as the latter.

I ought to bring them all to the court at the same time to compare them properly. This is from memory only.

Dino Lagaffe 01-24-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 4320047)
That's a funky background :)

It is, isn't it? :wink: I had promised Jimbo to put some pictures up of the Rossignols and just did it as quickly as possible. I'd probably pick a lighter background and add some more angles for the next photo shoot.

retrowagen 01-25-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 4320159)
To me the Elite Pro feels like a nice combination of the PT630 and the PC600. It has the more muted/less crisp feel of the former and is as maneuverable and scalpel-like as the latter.

I think this is a good assessment. The 1988 Elite Pro is my everyday racquet - I still play my four remaining examples weekly, and still play tournaments with them. I began using these in 1988, so I've been with them for a while.

They compare favorably, I think, with the Head Graphite Pro of the same vintage in terms of stiffness, feel, comfort, and stability, but are more manoeuverable and do cut through the air more quickly. On the serve, they feel slightly more sword-like and a good player can use that extra degree of deftness to more easily make minute adjustments on the serve while in motion. The 1988 EP is less stiff and slightly more head-light than the concurrent Prestige Pro or the later PC600 (before HEAD lightened that frame up). It does have a softer feel overall than the Prestige mids (with the same 18x20 pattern) of various years. I played the PT600 for a little while, hoping that that model might replicate the feel of the 1988 EP, but by comparison that model felt sluggish and mushy. I later tried the PC600 for a couple years, but by comparison, it felt harsher and had far less ball feel.

HEAD (Austria) only made this model for one year, 1988. In 1989, it was replaced by a model of the same name, but vastly different "widebody" mold. Wilson had caught HEAD unaware with their marketing of the Kuebler-designed "Profile" frames the year prior, which sparked the Widebody craze and effectively killed traditional high-performance racquets (at least in the lucrative US market). Hence, the green/black Elite Pro "thinbeam" is extremely rare today.

The original white grommets and half-CAP bumper also were prone to brittleness and disintegration within two or three years of new. I retrofitted black full-CAPS (the TK52a from the iPrestige Mid, in my case, although any full-CAP TK52 variant can fit) in two different formats: trimmed (to match the original half-CAP dimensions of the original configuration of the frame), and full-length. There is a "notch" on the frame's mould where the half-CAP would end (at roughly 10 and 2 o'clock positions), and the beam beneath was bulked up slightly to make the frame smoother looking. The original Prestige Pro and subsequent Prestige Mids - all fitted with full-length CAPS - did not have the "notch." The only other HEAD frame to have the half-CAP and the "notch" was the 1988 Elektra Pro (the more flexible sister to the Elite Pro). I discovered when stringing up a full-length CAP on the Elite Pro that the CAP puckers in to the deeper groove in areas below the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, making it extremely tough to pull string. It also looks a bit odd. Since I like the original weight and balance of the stock EP, I trim my new full CAPS down to half-CAP size when retrofitting them.

The frames themselves are a bit on the fragile side. One good throw down on the top of the hoop is enough for a fatal cracking - unfortunately as a hot-headed player back when these were readily available, I killed roughly half a dozen of them in this fashion, regretted now... Also, as with other "thinbeam" HEAD models, care must be taken when stringing, as the shape of the head can deform if strung hybrid or with varying tension between mains and crosses. Really, this is the kind of a frame that begs for a full multi or natural gut bed, and rewards the user.

A special frame!

Colpo 01-26-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 4320040)

In the USA, Head positioned the Elite in-between the Prestige and the Elektra Pro, figure about a $20 spread between each model. The 1988 Prestige Pro listed for $200-220, so figure $180-200 for the Elite, and so on. Head didn't stick with this series for very long, introducing its double-wedged Elites and Elektras with the '89 model year.

(Quick Prestige/Elite memory: Recall hitting up a Raleigh-Durham area Sports Unlimited store during summer '90 where they had literally RACKS of unsold Prestiges and Elites for $99/each. I mean RACKS! People were sleeping on these models because you had to follow the pro game avidly to know that every male Head pro was using the PP 600 then. Bought 2 US-made PP there - just a bananas, rubber-core-like feel! Later saw similar deals that same summer in a couple places in CA. No doubt, summer '90 was THE TIME to stock up on those models, as Head's adverting for them a year or two before didn't match up with the amount of product it put out to stores hence vast unsold backlogs.)

retrowagen 01-26-2010 12:57 PM

^ Good post. In 1988, it seemed like absolutely nobody (at least in the USA) was interested in what HEAD was selling, so popular were the original Wilson Profile widebodies. All the HEAD touring pros were either using the Graphite Pro (notably Dave Wheaton), or the Prestige Pro (i.e., the Sanchez bros. and many other Euro professionals). Tim Mayotte was the odd man out with the Graphite Master he was using. The only HEAD pro I recall using the 1988 Elite Pro was Conchita Martinez.

I do recall seeing racks of 1988 Elite and Elektra Pros for sale in Northern Calfornia Copeland's Sports chain stores, circa 1990-1991. I also found a small horde of dusty 1988 Elektra Pros at a small mom & pop sporting goods store (mostly ski stuff) in Turlock, CA circa 1998! I checked back there last year, but alas, they were gone.

Tennis Man 01-27-2010 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colpo (Post 4331369)
Bought 2 US-made PP there - just a bananas, rubber-core-like feel!

You must be kidding. It can't be that bad. It's a Prestige Pro. :confused:

Unfortunately, I can't confirm. I have just one of them in near mint condition and I haven't strung it yet.

tandayu 01-27-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 4331672)
^ Good post. In 1988, it seemed like absolutely nobody (at least in the USA) was interested in what HEAD was selling, so popular were the original Wilson Profile widebodies. All the HEAD touring pros were either using the Graphite Pro (notably Dave Wheaton), or the Prestige Pro (i.e., the Sanchez bros. and many other Euro professionals). Tim Mayotte was the odd man out with the Graphite Master he was using. The only HEAD pro I recall using the 1988 Elite Pro was Conchita Martinez.

I do recall seeing racks of 1988 Elite and Elektra Pros for sale in Northern Calfornia Copeland's Sports chain stores, circa 1990-1991. I also found a small horde of dusty 1988 Elektra Pros at a small mom & pop sporting goods store (mostly ski stuff) in Turlock, CA circa 1998! I checked back there last year, but alas, they were gone.

Copeland's Sports, thank you, I tried to recall this name for long time. Jan 1987,
I bought grap master and saw white txp with black cap, many of it unsold , must be too small head size, look at Prince, only couple frames left

Dino Lagaffe 01-27-2010 11:46 AM

Thank you, all the posters in this thread! Very interesting stuff. This is these boards at its best; nice and knowledgeable people sharing info and comments about a common interest. Great! :)

(I felt a need to share this with you as there is so much negativity, locked threads and trolling around...)

vsbabolat 01-27-2010 06:15 PM

Here is one of my Elite Pro:

tandayu 01-28-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 4339587)
Here is one of my Elite Pro:

very nice still has original grommet, leather grip . I have to ask, what qc ( quality control) 5 meaning? Was it like Hanes of Fruit of the Loom sticker?

retrowagen 01-28-2010 07:26 AM

Yes, those say "QC Kontrolleur #" which in German means Quality Control Inspector <number>. Just like the underwear inspector's sticker!

Colpo 01-28-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis Man (Post 4336844)
You must be kidding. It can't be that bad. It's a Prestige Pro. :confused:

Unfortunately, I can't confirm. I have just one of them in near mint condition and I haven't strung it yet.

Sorry for any confusion, but "bananas" and "rubber core feel" are intended as maxxed-out praise!