Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   For tennis coaches/pros - Challenges you face in earning a living (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308658)

greginvan 01-24-2010 05:14 PM

For tennis coaches/pros - Challenges you face in earning a living

Hi folks, I wanted to ask some of you folks who do tennis coaching for a living - whether on a full time or part time basis some questions. Would really like to hear your thoughts on these. Big thanks in advance!

1. How do you usually promote your coaching services? (e.g., online, flyers, signs on courts, online ad, craigslist, word of mouth, ad in the newspaper)

2. What has been an effective way to attract clients? Based on your experience, what's more effective - stuff you've done online or stuff you've done offline?

3. Do you get paid on time for your services? How do you usually collect fees from your clients?

4. How do you communicate notices to your clients (e.g., email, phone, text message, a group page (like a facebook page)?

5. What do you think is the area where you'd like to get some help on?

(e.g., promoting your services to get clients, collecting on time, managing your registration and programs)

I wanted to see what tennis coaches are experiencing in terms of earning a living and the challenges you face. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Feel free to add any other thoughts you may have.

Thanks in advance!!! :)

El Diablo 01-24-2010 06:23 PM

Biggest problem I hear from friends who coach -- benefits. (No health insurance, no retirement,.....)

Tempest344 01-24-2010 06:52 PM

Rain, Unless you own a business expect a low income, when I worked as a coach we were right near a school so that helped as we would coach the kids before and after school

greginvan 01-24-2010 07:47 PM

Thanks!

You both speak of the deeper problems. And perhaps other coaches can add to your thoughts.

From a peddling-your-service point of view, what obstacles did you guys encounter?

Did you have a hard time attracting enough paying clients? If so, why do you think this was so? Was it because you didn't have a way to reach interested tennis players or perhaps there weren't enough players who were interested? Or there were tons of coaches in your place and a few players?

TMCW140 01-25-2010 04:48 PM

1. How do you usually promote your coaching services? (e.g., online, flyers, signs on courts, online ad, craigslist, word of mouth, ad in the newspaper)
Usually word of mouth, but did some flyers for schools during the school holidays
2. What has been an effective way to attract clients? Based on your experience, what's more effective - stuff you've done online or stuff you've done offline?
3. Do you get paid on time for your services? How do you usually collect fees from your clients?
Usually, they book and pay before hand
4. How do you communicate notices to your clients (e.g., email, phone, text message, a group page (like a facebook page)?
emails and phonecalls
5. What do you think is the area where you'd like to get some help on?
larger groups, especially with kids can be a handful!

Sorry, would go into more depth, but off to bed!

greginvan 01-25-2010 11:06 PM

Thanks for your reply. I hope you won't mind if you can elaborate some more if you have the time. Your responses are giving some insight on what coaches currently do . . .and what problems they're experiencing.

Any other coaches want to share their experiences?

TMCW140 01-26-2010 01:02 AM

Hey, sorry, in the UK, so was nearly 2 o'clock in the morning!
Basically, i work at a big tennis centre, so we distribute leaflets and what have you in the build up to school holidays, and use the website and word of mouth for the other target groups. Been going for a long time now, so have built up a large awareness in the area. When i do individuals, they are organised beforehand, where they usually pay. Most things are sorted out before hand but i give them my mobile and email, just in case. The only major problem i usually have is over subscription to course, obviously, when you've got more players than court space, there are issues!