Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Polarized/Non-Polarized question? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=316427)

AJK1 03-07-2010 01:37 PM

Polarized/Non-Polarized question?

Is this term an actual term used by Pro racquet customizers or is it just something that posters on these boards came up with?

LPShanet 03-07-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJK1 (Post 4451833)
Is this term an actual term used by Pro racquet customizers or is it just something that posters on these boards came up with?

Yes, those that are aware of the technique often use the term. If you call any of the techs at the USRSA, for instance, you'll find that most of them know it. However, if you try it on your local pro shop stringer, he may or may not know it.

RJYU 03-07-2010 02:09 PM

Pro racquet customizers do not use the terms "polarized" or "non-polarized." Also, we never use the term "pallets" for handles that are molded. We have no idea why people have started doing that.

aimr75 03-07-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJYU (Post 4451895)
Also, we never use the term "pallets" for handles that are molded. We have no idea why people have started doing that.

yeah i always associated pallets with the handles that are attached in halves, like the Head handles, not molded handles

[d]ragon 03-07-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Pro racquet customizers do not use the terms "polarized" or "non-polarized." Also, we never use the term "pallets" for handles that are molded. We have no idea why people have started doing that.

What terms do you use for where weight is concentrated? Thanks

[d]ragon 03-07-2010 03:20 PM

Also Ron, could you please shoot me an email: deebin at gmail
I have a question about Indian Wells. Thanks alot!

LPShanet 03-08-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I'd certainly defer to Ron's opinion, as he is a much great authority in this area (pro racquet customizers) than I. However, I've been involved in conversations where the Bosworths used the polarization terms. Also, the term is used extensively in "The Physics and Technology of Tennis" by Howard Brody, Rod Cross & Crawford Lindsey. All are recognized authorities on tennis physics and not TT posters. Obviously, no such term is helpful unless you have more (and quantitative) information about how the weight is distributed.

Ron, what terms do you use when referring to racquets with similar weights/swingweights, where the main difference has to do with whether the weight is concentrated at the throat, versus putting it at the tip and handle?

RJYU 03-08-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPShanet (Post 4453851)
Interesting. I'd certainly defer to Ron's opinion, as he is a much great authority in this area (pro racquet customizers) than I. However, I've been involved in conversations where the Bosworths used the polarization terms. Also, the term is used extensively in "The Physics and Technology of Tennis" by Howard Brody, Rod Cross & Crawford Lindsey. All are recognized authorities on tennis physics and not TT posters. Obviously, no such term is helpful unless you have more (and quantitative) information about how the weight is distributed.

Ron, what terms do you use when referring to racquets with similar weights/swingweights, where the main difference has to do with whether the weight is concentrated at the throat, versus putting it at the tip and handle?

Well, not sure what terms the Bosworth's use, but Nate worked for them for many years, and now I've worked for Nate for 10 years, and I've never heard him use the term polarized or nonpolarized in all those 10 years.

Now going back to the original question, it was all about terms that pro customizers use. The guys that wrote the tennis physics book aren't pro customizers. They are certainly smarter than me, and could boggle my mind with all their physics knowledge, but as far as I know, they aren't "hands on" customizers by any means.

As far as the terminology we use in the office, its all very simple. We state exactly where the weight will be concentrated or added. For example, its quite common in the office for the following sentences to be heard:

"He wants more weight in the handle."

"We need to put a few more grams at the tip."

"Hmm... how about we move the lead to the sides?"

"Should we go to Mcdonald's, Subway, or Wendy's for lunch today?"

Mdubb23 03-08-2010 03:49 PM

^^Burger King.

On a more serious note, Ron, thanks very much for the information. Do you guys use the term "hairpin" for an uncustomized handle?

RJYU 03-08-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdubb23 (Post 4454494)
^^Burger King.

On a more serious note, Ron, thanks very much for the information. Do you guys use the term "hairpin" for an uncustomized handle?

Yes, we use the term "hairpin" or "peg" for an unmolded or unpalleted frame.

AJK1 03-08-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

I thought so.......

aimr75 03-08-2010 06:09 PM

Ron, just an off topic question, there are some photo's of federers racquets with different lengths of lead tape on each frame, are you simply accounting for the variances in each frame coming from the factory and just matching each?

RJYU 03-08-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimr75 (Post 4454828)
Ron, just an off topic question, there are some photo's of federers racquets with different lengths of lead tape on each frame, are you simply accounting for the variances in each frame coming from the factory and just matching each?

I'm not going to go into any real details as to our methods, but to answer your question simply: Yes.

aimr75 03-08-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJYU (Post 4454845)
I'm not going to go into any real details as to our methods, but to answer your question simply: Yes.

no thats fine, i was just after a simple yes/no.. thanks

Rabbit 03-08-2010 07:05 PM

So, then Ron....the rumors about Priority 1 using a flux capacitor are false then? ;)

Tour90 03-08-2010 08:22 PM

quick question ron, are the leather grips made by priority one available to the public? the leather grip you supply seem to have very little dye in them compared to the wilson leather that bleeds into white over grips. thanks

larry10s 03-09-2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tour90 (Post 4455112)
quick question ron, are the leather grips made by priority one available to the public? the leather grip you supply seem to have very little dye in them compared to the wilson leather that bleeds into white over grips. thanks

any bleeding from a leather racquet ive experienced stops after some usage

aphex 03-09-2010 06:46 AM

lol, even federer can't get matched racquets from wilson...

PED 03-09-2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJK1 (Post 4454691)
I thought so.......

I will add that at RPNY, a molded handle will run you roughly $125 while a pallet based replacement (say from a Head shape to a Wilson shape) will cost you on $75. There is a difference and that's likely where the term came from.

I would assume that most of Ron's customers can swing the extra $ for a molded one ;)

PED 03-09-2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex (Post 4455747)
lol, even federer can't get matched racquets from wilson...

You gotta have 20 slams to qualify for that program ;)