Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Customer Service Tennis Tutor/Sports Tutor (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=316640)

filsdepatrick 03-08-2010 01:41 PM

Customer Service Tennis Tutor/Sports Tutor

Just wanted to pass along my experience recently with Sports Tutor in Burbank CA, the folks who sell and service the Tennis Tutor ball machine. I think this level of customer service should definitely influence the decision to purchase, as it makes a huge difference in the long run, and I can't say enough about how great my experience has been.

I was given a tennis tutor ball machine by a neighbor. After purchasing a new battery for it, it still didn't work, so I called Sports Tutor hoping to merely get some advice on where to take it to get it fixed. Instead, Peter Martinez spent probably an hour on the phone with me, helping me try various tests to locate the source of the problem. I should also say at this point that based on the serial number of my machine, he was able to tell me that it was manufactured between 15-17 years ago.

As part of the troubleshooting process, he shipped to me in Oakland a new power supply/charger and didn't charge me anything for it-- not even for the shipping. When that didn't get me going again, he asked me to remove and send to him the control panel. He tested it there in Burbank, and determined that the power switch, and elevation switches were worn-out, so he replaced both and sent it back to me... again without charging me anything, not even for the shipping.

I have NEVER experienced this high a level of customer service for anything I've purchased before, much less for an item I received for free that is 17 years old and quite obviously out-of-warranty. I also asked Peter if he could supply me a few parts (replacement hopper flaps, rubber feet for the unit) which I was more than willing to pay for; again he shipped me all these items at no charge.

He explained in response to my incredulity that Sports Tutor considers themselves a premier customer service company, and that it is part of their value-added to try to help their customers get the most out of their ball machines.

When it comes time for me to purchase a new ball machine, you can be sure where I will go.

Paul

ODYSSEY Mk.4 03-08-2010 03:26 PM

well, i guess i know where ill be buying from.

Azzurri 03-14-2010 06:40 AM

Yep, this guys are fantastic to deal with.

Bolivian10s 03-17-2010 02:05 PM

Dammm that's awesome, kudos to Sports Tutor !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by filsdepatrick (Post 4454241)
Just wanted to pass along my experience recently with Sports Tutor in Burbank CA, the folks who sell and service the Tennis Tutor ball machine. I think this level of customer service should definitely influence the decision to purchase, as it makes a huge difference in the long run, and I can't say enough about how great my experience has been.

I was given a tennis tutor ball machine by a neighbor. After purchasing a new battery for it, it still didn't work, so I called Sports Tutor hoping to merely get some advice on where to take it to get it fixed. Instead, Peter Martinez spent probably an hour on the phone with me, helping me try various tests to locate the source of the problem. I should also say at this point that based on the serial number of my machine, he was able to tell me that it was manufactured between 15-17 years ago.

As part of the troubleshooting process, he shipped to me in Oakland a new power supply/charger and didn't charge me anything for it-- not even for the shipping. When that didn't get me going again, he asked me to remove and send to him the control panel. He tested it there in Burbank, and determined that the power switch, and elevation switches were worn-out, so he replaced both and sent it back to me... again without charging me anything, not even for the shipping.

I have NEVER experienced this high a level of customer service for anything I've purchased before, much less for an item I received for free that is 17 years old and quite obviously out-of-warranty. I also asked Peter if he could supply me a few parts (replacement hopper flaps, rubber feet for the unit) which I was more than willing to pay for; again he shipped me all these items at no charge.

He explained in response to my incredulity that Sports Tutor considers themselves a premier customer service company, and that it is part of their value-added to try to help their customers get the most out of their ball machines.

When it comes time for me to purchase a new ball machine, you can be sure where I will go.

Paul

That's very nice of them to do that for you, of course that doesn't surprise me. As long as I can remember I've also received excellent service from them to. I bet if they were Sony or some other company they would charge you up the yazoo.

f1 tech 03-18-2010 07:05 AM

I agree. Great service!! My charger broke and they sent me another one even after the warranty expired.

jazzyfunkybluesy 03-18-2010 07:11 AM

Ron at Sports Tutor is great. Very friendly, professional and does a good job on the normal wear and tear service issues that I have had.

Bolivian10s 03-22-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyfunkybluesy (Post 4479943)
Ron at Sports Tutor is great. Very friendly, professional and does a good job on the normal wear and tear service issues that I have had.

Yup. I've spoken to Ron too. There are all great! I might call them to see how much will they will charge me if I can upgrade to the new Multi Function remote control on my PLus Player, looks pretty cool.

jwhite 12-06-2011 02:54 PM

tennis tutor customer service

The customer service is awesome with this conmpany. I bought used tennis tutor 2 and the elevation button kept popping out. They sent me new switch no charge. I will never own another brand. Tennis tutor is the best.

Pro_Tour_630 12-06-2011 07:56 PM

same here Ron is the man, only i sold my TT to a student of mine who wanted it badly. It was converted to an external battery which is very convenient. thanks Ron. Now I am stuck without a ball machine :(

jonestim 12-07-2011 09:20 AM

I just got off the phone with Ron. Mine is a 3.5 year old machine that was having some charging issues. With his help I was able to diagnose the problem and am getting it fixed no charge. Great customer service. Highly recommend buying a Tennis Tutor machine.

corbind 12-08-2011 01:05 AM

Man this thread just made my day. So often people whine about this or that. How often do you see the opposite like this where people take considerable time to post about the GOOD things that happen! From reading this...I love TT!

mctennis 12-09-2011 07:52 PM

I've talked to Tennis Tudor staff a few times and always received excellent advice and service. I've had their machine for years and I would never buy anything but a Tennis Tudor machine just from the service aspect alone.

2ndServe 01-28-2013 05:20 PM

if anyone is thinking about a ball machine there is only 1 choice imo. Their service is 2nd to none.

v-verb 01-28-2013 06:02 PM

Good to hear about them - googling them now.

dman72 01-30-2013 09:01 AM

I had a similar experience with them 4 years or so ago. I bought a used TT machine out of some guys garage for $200.

It needed a battery and a new panel. After I got on the phone with TT, I had a new panel and new throwing wheels.....for basically nothing.

I know that other ball machines can be significantly cheaper than TT, but these things don't last forever, and when you need to fix them...you can't beat TT. One of the best companies I've ever dealt with.

retrograde 01-30-2013 08:54 PM

The TT's could use some up-dating ... larger wheels and more ergonomic handle would be nice. If it can't be easily wheeled to a public court (path's not all smoothly paved) I can't use it no matter how nice or reliable.

TT also needs to get some weight information up on their website and some PDF spec sheets.

And those ancient 80's era "short shorts" videos could be updated as part of a website update.

jam54 02-01-2013 11:27 AM

I agree it would be an improvement if the Tennis Tutor machines had an expanding handle for taller people, but if you are going from the parking lot to the court, the wheels seems plenty smooth.

I've called Tennis Tutor regarding repairs and information on (or not on) their site. They purposely do not put detailed specs on their site as most people don't need such information. As far as parts list or instructions they tell me, and I agree, that they prefer to deal with the customer directly so they can properly troubleshoot a machine. It makes sense when they say if customers attempt to self-diagnose their machine and order parts it often leads to confusion, improper parts ordered and more work. This is why Tennis Tutor is so admired for their customer service. They know how to take care of their machines and their customers. I know mine is humming along just fine! :)

WillyT 02-09-2013 01:18 PM

I've had similar experiences as others with TT. A relative loaned me a non-working 15-year-old one for the summer last year. I was able to clean it out, replace the batteries, lube everything and got it working smoothly. The thing is built like a tank. Called TT for some advice on a broken center pivot -- they offered to send me an upgraded (larger) pivot bolt, but I just got one at the hardware store. They even sent me all new hopper flaps and pivots, no charge, not even for shipping ("that's something we do"). These guys obviously put a high priority on customer service, warranty or not. Pretty rare these days...

tennisnut33 02-09-2013 04:43 PM

I'm sure everyone by now must believe Tennis Tutor has fantastic customer service. I wanted to take a moment to concur that their customer service is indeed fantastic. I have a TT model 3 that I bought new back in 1993 when I was stationed in Fla. Over the years I've had to replace the batteries and eventually sent it into TT to have the throwing wheels replaced. The machine was just not consistently throwing the balls at the same depth even with new balls. Following TT's tune-up of the machine, the ball feed motor lost control and was throwing out a ball almost every second. When I called TT, they discussed the problem with me and decided to send me a repalcement control panel vs. sending the machine back. This new control panel was sent free of charge. The next problem I had following replacing the control panel was that the machine would only run for about 45 minutes before beginning to beep. The was happening even though the batteries were replaced only 5 months before sending it to TT. I did find connection issues with the new panel's charge connector. I was able to correct that to maintain a charge status with the Smart Charger and the battery life was nos at 2 hrs before beeping. BTW....your control panel is suppose to begin beeping once your batteries voltage reaches 9.8 volts. James was more than willing to go over my findings and decided to send me another replacement panel since the results didn't point to the batteries. One other concern of the 1st replacement panel was that the charge LED would never indicate a RED condition even after the machine shuts down and only beeping without throwing wheels moving. I've now replaced the 2nd control panel and running another load test with the batteries. Now keep in mind that I have the ball speed at 5.5, ball feed at 3.5 and oscillator off during each battery load test. These are the settings I normally have the machine front placed right at the baseline. My original control panel was all through hole components and TT control panels now have surface mount components. I'm not convinced that the new panels perform the same as the older ones just yet. Just in case my machine still doesn't have the expected 3-4 hour life span before it reaches the 9.8V level to begin beeping, I've taken advantage of the additional space just behind the throwing wheels and welded another battery bracket to add 1 more additional 7.2 AH 12V battery. I'm hoping to have at least 3 hrs of play time with the next load test. I may just repair my old panel if still not satisfied. Hopefully this info helps others.

corbind 02-09-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisnut33 (Post 7202923)
I'm sure everyone by now must believe Tennis Tutor has fantastic customer service. I wanted to take a moment to concur that their customer service is indeed fantastic. I have a TT model 3 that I bought new back in 1993 when I was stationed in Fla. Over the years I've had to replace the batteries and eventually sent it into TT to have the throwing wheels replaced. The machine was just not consistently throwing the balls at the same depth even with new balls. Following TT's tune-up of the machine, the ball feed motor lost control and was throwing out a ball almost every second. When I called TT, they discussed the problem with me and decided to send me a repalcement control panel vs. sending the machine back. This new control panel was sent free of charge. The next problem I had following replacing the control panel was that the machine would only run for about 45 minutes before beginning to beep. The was happening even though the batteries were replaced only 5 months before sending it to TT. I did find connection issues with the new panel's charge connector. I was able to correct that to maintain a charge status with the Smart Charger and the battery life was nos at 2 hrs before beeping. BTW....your control panel is suppose to begin beeping once your batteries voltage reaches 9.8 volts. James was more than willing to go over my findings and decided to send me another replacement panel since the results didn't point to the batteries. One other concern of the 1st replacement panel was that the charge LED would never indicate a RED condition even after the machine shuts down and only beeping without throwing wheels moving. I've now replaced the 2nd control panel and running another load test with the batteries. Now keep in mind that I have the ball speed at 5.5, ball feed at 3.5 and oscillator off during each battery load test. These are the settings I normally have the machine front placed right at the baseline. My original control panel was all through hole components and TT control panels now have surface mount components. I'm not convinced that the new panels perform the same as the older ones just yet. Just in case my machine still doesn't have the expected 3-4 hour life span before it reaches the 9.8V level to begin beeping, I've taken advantage of the additional space just behind the throwing wheels and welded another battery bracket to add 1 more additional 7.2 AH 12V battery. I'm hoping to have at least 3 hrs of play time with the next load test. I may just repair my old panel if still not satisfied. Hopefully this info helps others.

I'm glad you posted -- buy you're on the verge of having created the longest forum paragraph! :oops: Perhaps that could be broken out into 4 to 6 paragraphs so we can read it without going crazy. Nevertheless, hope you don't have to fix the TT yourself.