Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Völk PB10 Mid Club - please join :) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=317834)

ClubHoUno 03-16-2010 06:32 AM

The Völk PB10 Mid Club - please join :)

I searched and could't find a club for this great frame - a frame which in my view will turn into a true classic once it has been discontinued.

I tested a PB10 Mid for a month before I decided to order a pair of this racquet. Got both from TW EUROPE and they will arrive tomorrow. Both were weight, swingweight and balance matched and they were spot on except for half a gram difference in static weight (Thanks Greg for all your help :) )
That's what I call GREAT quality control.

I prefer this racquet on faster courts and for doubles. I enjoy the swingweight and overall combination of feel, touch, power and control in one package.

I will have mine setup with Babolat VS Team 17 mains @ 52 lbs and then Luxilon Alu Power crosses @ 48 lbs in one of them and WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 crosses @ 48 lbs in the other one and then decide, what I prefer (I own a reel of both strings).

Will decide if I want a Babolat or Völk leather grip on my frames.

I use a Gamma Supreme White overgrip on top of the leather grip.
The dampener of choice for this racquet was obvious for me - a black and yellow Babolat Custom Damp :p

Not sure if I want to add some lead at 9 and 3 on this frame yet.....

Look forward to hear how other PB10 Mid club members have their PB10 Mid frame/frames setup :D

jazzyfunkybluesy 03-16-2010 06:34 AM

I have 2 of these racquets. I haven't tried tensions that low but I will. Thanks for the reco.

Jinx 03-16-2010 08:47 AM

PB10 with X1 17 main @ 55 and Alu Power Rough Cross @ 52

TourTenor 03-16-2010 11:01 AM

I have been using this stick with 17 gauge Bab VS Team mains and 17 gauge PHT crosses ... both at 52 lbs. I like the extra serving pop I get from stringing them a tad on the loose side. This setup offers a great mix of feel, power and control. Also, the strings last and are locked in (little movement). :cool::cool:

MUZZA1973 03-16-2010 01:09 PM

I'm about to purchase this racquet even without demoing.I can't get me hands on a demo here in Oz.
After reading so many terrific reviews,i'm gonna take the risk and purchase one.The specs are everything i want.
Still a little unsure of string type and tension being such a flexy frame and all.Will perhaps consider a poly in a hybrid but not a full poly due to a history of elbow complaints.
Any suggestions?

stronzzi70 03-16-2010 01:35 PM

I have two PB 10 MID strung with Luxilon Timo 122 and Volkl Leather grip Brown..... What I can say, this is racquet is just amazing....I think with leather Grip I feel the racquet less flex and a little more stiffer.

JGads 03-16-2010 02:01 PM

Apologies if this is a little off topic, but has anyone compared this stick to a BLX 6.1 95? Seem similar spec wise, though the Volkl is a bit more extreme headlight so I imagine it's just whippier. Also like the thinner beam. Demo'd the PB10mid before and thought it might be a little too demanding for me, but having grown a certain liking for the 6.1 95 and seeing just how similar it is spec wise, I think I may give this Volkl one more chance to win my heart.

svlin 03-16-2010 05:25 PM

I am still settling on strings...but currently my favorite setup is Volkl Gripper at 55M and Weiss Cannon Silverstring at 53C.

I run two Tourna Tac XL over the DNX black grip and have 2 grams of lead at the top of the handle and 3 grams in the throat. I have tried TW leather, but I couldn't get used to the pallet shape.

MUZZA1973 03-16-2010 07:39 PM

I've settled on MSV Focus Hex with the option of using it as a full bed or with Gaucho Gut in the crosses.
Anyone used one or both of these strings and at what tension/s?

jayserinos99 03-16-2010 09:53 PM

I'm currently using the pb10 mid with MSV Hex Black 1.10 at 50 although now it's been getting warmer I'll move up to 53. I'm just settled on this setup; great spin and touch. Unfortunately I'm not much of a string breaker so I tend to cut out the strings when the tension drops too low to control. I was thinking of doing a full gut job but not with Gaucho, but with some of my last remaining sets of BDE Perf 17 just to see how it will play.

ClubHoUno 03-16-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svlin (Post 4475184)
........I run two Tourna Tac XL over the DNX black grip and have 2 grams of lead at the top of the handle and 3 grams in the throat. I have tried TW leather, but I couldn't get used to the pallet shape.

The only worries I had with this frame was the Head sort of like grip shape, and this is one reason why I consider keeping the stock grip and put a Gamma Supreme Overgrip on top that........ If I install a leather grip, my worries are that I will be able to feel this kind of odd grip shape even more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayserinos99 (Post 4476040)
I'm currently using the pb10 mid with MSV Hex Black 1.10 at 50 although now it's been getting warmer I'll move up to 53. I'm just settled on this setup; great spin and touch. Unfortunately I'm not much of a string breaker so I tend to cut out the strings when the tension drops too low to control. I was thinking of doing a full gut job but not with Gaucho, but with some of my last remaining sets of BDE Perf 17 just to see how it will play.

It's still cold here, outdoor season is still 1.5 months away, so I've decided on going low in tension in my first attempt with these 2 new frames.
Probably will up the tension a bit, when spring comes.

You still have the 4 or 5 Wilson Pro Staff Tour racquets I sold you 2 years ago Jay ?

zix66 03-17-2010 12:40 AM

Hi!
I'm currently using the PB10 Mid with Tecnifibre Black Code (17) at 55 lbs.
I can't compare my specs to others cos' I'm rookie :)
But I willing to order Volkl's Cyclone,V-FUSE(hybrid) & Synthetic Gut ...

jayserinos99 03-17-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClubHoUno (Post 4476123)
The only worries I had with this frame was the Head sort of like grip shape, and this is one reason why I consider keeping the stock grip and put a Gamma Supreme Overgrip on top that........ If I install a leather grip, my worries are that I will be able to feel this kind of odd grip shape even more.

It's still cold here, outdoor season is still 1.5 months away, so I've decided on going low in tension in my first attempt with these 2 new frames.
Probably will up the tension a bit, when spring comes.

You still have the 4 or 5 Wilson Pro Staff Tour racquets I sold you 2 years ago Jay ?

Yep. Still got them. The grips are a bit big so I may bring them in to a shop to have them sanded down to L3 or between L2/L3.

As for the odd grip shape, ever thought about adding athletic or duct tape to change the shape a little bit? How about just adding Attiva pallets for a really rounded grip shape (think Prince/Yonex)?

Tkenshin 03-17-2010 10:12 AM

ClubHoUno,

you had the Babolat Pure Storm Ltd Gt before right? How does it compare to to the Volkl PB 10? I have BPSL GT, and its really great, but lately I was looking at the Volkl PB10.

ClubHoUno 03-17-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayserinos99 (Post 4477167)
Yep. Still got them. The grips are a bit big so I may bring them in to a shop to have them sanded down to L3 or between L2/L3.

As for the odd grip shape, ever thought about adding athletic or duct tape to change the shape a little bit? How about just adding Attiva pallets for a really rounded grip shape (think Prince/Yonex)?

I may try that........ Saw Wilander do something like that to his Wilson K Blade 98 grips

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkenshin (Post 4477283)
ClubHoUno,

you had the Babolat Pure Storm Ltd Gt before right? How does it compare to to the Volkl PB 10? I have BPSL GT, and its really great, but lately I was looking at the Volkl PB10.

I get a bit more power from the PB10 MID, better pace on serves, just as good touch on volleys, better pace on groundies from the baseline and a little extra forgiveness even though the head is equal or smaller. Spin is also better because of the 16x19 string pattern compared to the 18X20 on the Ltd. GT. The Babolat PS GT Ltd. was an awesome racquet, but preferred BLX 95 6.1 18X20 and Völk PB10 Mid to the Ltd. GT.

I change racquets a lot, so never know what I will do next - but the PB10 Mid is a true classic, no matter what happens :)

Tkenshin 03-17-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClubHoUno

I get a bit more power from the PB10 MID, better pace on serves, just as good touch on volleys, better pace on groundies from the baseline and a little extra forgiveness even though the head is equal or smaller. Spin is also better because of the 16x19 string pattern compared to the 18X20 on the Ltd. GT. The Babolat PS GT Ltd. was an awesome racquet, but preferred BLX 95 6.1 18X20 and Völk PB10 Mid to the Ltd. GT.

I change racquets a lot, so never know what I will do next - but the PB10 Mid is a true classic, no matter what happens :)

Thanks, I might give this one a try.

rlau 07-06-2010 03:58 AM

Is this club still alive and kicking ;-)

I may be getting a PB10 Mid as a replacement for my C10 Pro, as it appears to be pretty much impossible to get new grommets for that one.

bumfluff 07-06-2010 04:02 AM

Have a demo of the PB10 mid on its way to me as well as the Midplus. Can't wait to try them out...

Zeb 07-06-2010 07:30 AM

Should be receiving a new PB10Mid tomorrow - looking to string it up with VS Touch Gut (16g) in the mains and Weiss Silverstirng (16g) in crosses both at 55lbs.

I still have the PSL GT, BLX 95 and BLX 90 so will be spending some time comparing these sticks against my new PB10Mid.

Gee 07-06-2010 09:07 AM

Tomorrow I'll receive my Völkl PB10 Mid from TW Europe.

First I 'll string with my regular Head RIP Control 17g Black at 24/23 kg (53/51 lbs).

So may I already join the club? :)