Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Best stringing machine under $1500 for home stringer :) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=317849)

ClubHoUno 03-16-2010 09:08 AM

Best stringing machine under $1500 for home stringer :)

I used to have access to a Babolat Star 5 machine, but not so anymore.

I would like to have a smaller cheaper stringing machine at home and my budget limit is around $1500 or in that region.

I'm new to stringing and will start slowly by experimenting a bit on some of my older racquets - hope I don't destroy them :)

I spend circa $300-400 yearly on having my racquets strung and I would like to slowly learn to string my own racquets and also string for some of my playing buddies (for free of course). So I will not make a living out of this, I just want a reliable solid good machine to get the job done.

I'd rather spend a couple of 100 bucks more to get a better machine that I still will love to use in 3-4 years time, than to go cheap on a cheap machine now and then later have to buy a new more advanced and more reliable machine......

I need a machine, which is available in Europe, because I'm from Scandinavia :D

Please be nice, as this is my first post ever in the 'Stringing Machine' forum :)

I use VS Team 17 nat gut in the mains in all my racquets, and have seen videos of how you have to be more precise and gentle, when you string natural gut.

Thanks to all in advance for advice !

The rookie
Club Ho Uno

decades 03-16-2010 09:21 AM

I would say the neos 1500.

Nellie 03-16-2010 09:48 AM

I really like the Stringway MS 200 - it is really overbuilt but you would get great results.

http://www.stringway-nl.com/en/index.html

Rabbit 03-16-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decades (Post 4473606)
I would say the neos 1500.

Let me add my endorsement. The 1500 is brand new, but has the proven components of the Neos. What it has in addition is 360 degree rotation and dbl action clamps. I'd near about sell you my machine (Neos) and buy one of these.

drakulie 03-16-2010 10:19 AM

^^^I'll also endorse what rabbit and decades advise. Not only that, but you could buy a wise tension unit, and you have a top line constant pull machine.

pstar 03-16-2010 11:33 AM

I would take a look at the Stringway ML100, with the T92 single action clamps.
Not the fastest machine to string on, but very good quality indeed.
I live in Norway and ordered mine from Stringway in the Netherlands.
Great customerservice all the way from mr Stringway himself, Fred Timmer.

Cfidave 03-16-2010 11:44 AM

The Stringway MS 200 would be a contender, but you would want to look into what must be done to make a tension change. It is not as simple as turning a dial.

Lakers4Life 03-16-2010 03:27 PM

He can probably get a LaserFibre machine in Europe, rather than a Stringway. Though my vote goes to a Prince Neos 1500 or a Gamma 6004. I don't know what the price is in Northern Europe, do they even use Euros there?

Virtua Tennis 03-16-2010 03:36 PM

Better off with a Gamma progression II or Alpha Revo 4000 and add a Wise electric tension head. If you can get it delivered to you.

Once you goto a constant pulling electronic machine nothing compares anymore.

When I switched out from crank machines to electronic machines word of mouth and the overall quality of my work gave my business a 30% increase.

andtapes 03-16-2010 03:44 PM

Gamma Progression ESII

mdqm 03-16-2010 03:58 PM

hey clubhouno
see the tyger stringing machines, in europe some models are similar to silent partner here(usa)good machines.

LttlElvis 03-16-2010 04:03 PM

Klippermate.

Wait..... was that $150 or $1500 ?

parasailing 03-16-2010 04:21 PM

ClubHoUno - Welcome to the stringing machines forum, I see you often posting your insights in the strings section.

You are in the right forum, these people here offer great advice and they don't bite. :)

I would say go with an electronic constant pull unit model. The crank machines people have suggested are good machines but you were spoiled using a Babolat Star 5. Will you be able to go back turning a crank as opposed to pushing a button?

One additional note: Some of these machine listed might not be available in your country.

Snipergene 03-16-2010 05:41 PM

Another vote for the Prince Neos 1500.

Mansewerz 03-16-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstar (Post 4473988)
I would take a look at the Stringway ML100, with the T92 single action clamps.
Not the fastest machine to string on, but very good quality indeed.
I live in Norway and ordered mine from Stringway in the Netherlands.
Great customerservice all the way from mr Stringway himself, Fred Timmer.

I'd like to endorse this (sorry Drak and rabbit :p).

The stringways are actually quite fast. On a ML90 (a slower version with the slower clamps), my fastest time is 25 mins. I'm sure the ML100 is even faster with t92 clamps. But if you want more speed, get the MS200. Real sick looking machine, and who doesn't love the footpedal? :D

Chicken Neck 03-16-2010 09:55 PM

Alpha Apex II. 1000 frames without a hitch.

pstar 03-17-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansewerz (Post 4475094)
The stringways are actually quite fast. On a ML90 (a slower version with the slower clamps), my fastest time is 25 mins.

Hey Mansewerz thats very impressing :shock:.
I usually need 45 mins on my ML100.

ClubHoUno 03-17-2010 04:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies :D

I think I may have to up my budget a bit, since I'm going for a solid constant pulling electronic machine.

How much will one of the good cheaper electronic machines cost me - I have limited my search to Europe because most shops in the US simply will not ship stringing machines to Europe because of too high shipping costs.

I buy tennis and golf gear all over the world - yen, , $ what ever - I'm buying where the service is good and the price is right :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 4474586)
He can probably get a LaserFibre machine in Europe, rather than a Stringway. Though my vote goes to a Prince Neos 1500 or a Gamma 6004. I don't know what the price is in Northern Europe, do they even use Euros there?

We still use 'Kroner' in Scandinavian countries. But I buy stuff all over the world, problem is that tennis shops in the US won't sell a stringing machine to a guy from Europe because of too high shipping costs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtua Tennis (Post 4474634)
Better off with a Gamma progression II or Alpha Revo 4000 and add a Wise electric tension head. If you can get it delivered to you.

Once you goto a constant pulling electronic machine nothing compares anymore.

When I switched out from crank machines to electronic machines word of mouth and the overall quality of my work gave my business a 30% increase.

I think I will have to spend a little bit more and get an electronic machine - any recommenations ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LttlElvis (Post 4474739)
Klippermate.

Wait..... was that $150 or $1500 ?

$1500 - but my budget is now $2K since I want a pretty good elctrical machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 4474792)
ClubHoUno - Welcome to the stringing machines forum, I see you often posting your insights in the strings section.

You are in the right forum, these people here offer great advice and they don't bite. :)

I would say go with an electronic constant pull unit model. The crank machines people have suggested are good machines but you were spoiled using a Babolat Star 5. Will you be able to go back turning a crank as opposed to pushing a button?

One additional note: Some of these machine listed might not be available in your country.

I take all your advice and will go for an elctrical machine. Budget for that is now $2K. Is that enough ?

barry 03-17-2010 06:09 AM

I would go with the Prince Neos 1500 with a Wise 2086. The portability of the Wise is amazing, it fits almost all machines, and you would have backup should the tensioner ever fail. Integrated Electronic machines are nice, but often you have to ship the entire unit in for repair or do some major surgery to get the failing component out. I am sold on the modularity you get with the Wise.

Also the new Gamma 6900 looks pretty good for a rotational gripper machine.

Cfidave 03-17-2010 09:22 AM

Would be intersting to know if the Neos 1500 plus Wise retains 360 degree rotation.