Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Poll: Racquet-hand/grip wrap method (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=318)

dje31 02-23-2004 08:59 AM

Poll: Racquet-hand/grip wrap method

Lefties: Do you reverse wrap your grip? I've been doing this for years, whenever I buy a new racquet or re-grip. Racquet grips come wrapped from the factory for righties. If you're a lefty, do you reverse it? Do any righties reverse it and use it left-hand style?

jayserinos99 02-23-2004 09:02 AM

Being a lefty, I didn't know I was wrapping my grips wrong until a teammate on my work team told me. I guess it doesn't really matter for me as long as the grip is tacky enough to not slip out of my hands.

dje31 02-23-2004 09:08 AM

Well, you could certainly argue that going against the grain may in fact increase grippiness, which is why I also wonder if any righties reverse theirs.

I never re-wrapped mine until I got that Gamma Hi-Tech Overgrip with the huge raised ridge. It was almost unusuable going against the grain. Felt pretty darn good going the right way, though.

Rabbit 02-23-2004 09:31 AM

The leather grip is always put on right handed, when I put a Tournagrip over that, it's left handed.

superloop 02-23-2004 11:19 AM

I am a righty and I have been wrapping my overgrips the lefty way for years.
Recently, I tried doing it the righty way and it felt really weird.

Does anyone know if there are overgrips that are tapered on the end to be wrapped the lefty way?

Grimjack 02-23-2004 11:33 AM

Never really thought about it. As a righty, I guess maybe I wouldn't have noticed, but mostly, I've always just wrapped in the direction the taper starts you off in. Didn't really occur to me that if I'd gone the other way that it would feel in any way different.

Huh. :?

uk_skippy 02-23-2004 11:40 AM

When gripping for other players I always wrap accordingly; Lh for lefties and Rh for righties. A few lefties I've gripped for didn't think about the way it was wrapped until I should them. Now they stick to the Lh way.

dje31 02-24-2004 07:19 AM

Man, am I really the only lefty freak around here? Or just the only one who voted? Rabbit, you only count halfway... ;)

I'd be curious about the two righties that wrap theirs LH style. Super freaks!

@wright 02-24-2004 07:42 AM

I'm a righty and I have intentionally wrapped lefty sometimes, i like the way it feels. Your fingers don't sink into the grooves if you have multiple overgrips on like they do if it's right wrapped.

joe sch 02-24-2004 07:43 AM

One more variation of this is 2 handed grips ... since each dual hand is acutally pulling (pronating) in its natural direction, I have actually wrapped a long 2 handed leather grip with individual sections in the correct orientation, ie R-R + L-L. This setup felt more natural. I actually had posted one of these rackets, a donnay borg pro on a prior year discussion and one of the sharp posters noticed, may have been Rabbit ?

dje31 02-24-2004 07:54 AM

You know, joe sch, I almost brought this up, but didn't want everyone to think I was some kind of OCD nitwit...not that I'm not...or that there's anything wrong with that...

jasonmiller 02-24-2004 01:07 PM

I'm a righty, wrap overgrips lefty, leave factory grips righty, but if I replace the base grip I wrap it lefty too.

ibemadskillzz 02-24-2004 05:18 PM

It doesn't matter how you wrap a grip, you will play the same.

NoBadMojo 02-24-2004 08:08 PM

Don't feel bad all..my racquets have a top and bottom (or up and down if you will)..depends on which groove in the grip my trigger finger feels best in.....so when my strings fray 2 mains over from center, i rewrap the overgrip so the other side is up and i wear out the mains two over on the otherside..i get more stringlife out of my gut that way..how bad is THAT? ack..Edo