Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Wilson Hybrid Grips - Opinions? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=320203)

JackB1 03-30-2010 06:11 AM

New Wilson Hybrid Grips - Opinions?

Anyone have any comments on the new Wilson Hybrid grips that come with the new BLX line? The Hybrid Pro is half leather and half synthetic. Is this as harsh as typical leather grips? I tried the Hybrid Performance, but didn't like it that much because it gives you little "channels" in between the wrappings, like a "contour" grip. It's possible I didn't overlap enough though and that's what caused this.

Some grips I have liked include the Head Hydrosorb, the Babolat Syntec and the Prince Resipro. I might change out my 3 BLX grips for one of those, but I like to keep the same brand grip as the racquet for some strange reason :)

Barricade V 03-30-2010 12:49 PM

I'm also very interested in this grip. Seems like a good idea, but don't know how it will actually play...

ClubHoUno 03-30-2010 03:21 PM

I normally ALWAYS change the stock synthetic grips to Babolat Leather grips, when I buy new racquets, but when I got my new BLX 6.1 18X20 racquets, I heard they came with a hybrid of leather and synthetic with a cotton layer in between and had to test them out.

I chose to keep them, because they made the racquet feel soft, but I still was able to feel the bevels in the handle and I get better protection against TE/GE trouble from this soft leather-synth hybrid grip.

I still use leather grips under an overgrip on my Babolat and Völkl racquets though, but most likely will keep using the Pro Hybrid leather-synth grips on the BLX racquets, of course with an overgrip on top of that........

ClubHoUno 03-30-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 4517393)
Anyone have any comments on the new Wilson Hybrid grips that come with the new BLX line? The Hybrid Pro is half leather and half synthetic. Is this as harsh as typical leather grips? I tried the Hybrid Performance, but didn't like it that much because it gives you little "channels" in between the wrappings, like a "contour" grip. It's possible I didn't overlap enough though and that's what caused this.

Some grips I have liked include the Head Hydrosorb, the Babolat Syntec and the Prince Resipro. I might change out my 3 BLX grips for one of those, but I like to keep the same brand grip as the racquet for some strange reason :)

Probably a stupid question Jack, but since you already own the BLX racquet, how come you just didn't test the grip, that came stock on the BLX, when you bought it :)

robJAR 03-30-2010 08:06 PM

For me they felt like the benefits of a leather grip with a little more added comfort.

-robJAR

JackB1 03-30-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClubHoUno (Post 4519388)
Probably a stupid question Jack, but since you already own the BLX racquet, how come you just didn't test the grip, that came stock on the BLX, when you bought it :)

I did, but I was wondering what others thought of it. I usually don't like leather grips, since they aren't usually too soft and I like a little comfort from my grip.
I thought the Hyprid Pro was OK....not as harsh as full leather grips, but also not as soft as most synthetic grips. I replaced one of them with a Hybrid Performance grip, which is half cotton and half synthetic and that was better, but I didn't like the "channels" feel in between the wraps. It also made the grip a little too fat. Today I tried one of my favorite grips....the Prince Resipro and that felt better to me than either of the Wilson hybrid grips. So I think I am going to stick with the Resipro's for now. The Hybrid pro isn't bad...just not so great for me personally.

JackB1 03-30-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robJAR (Post 4520756)
For me they felt like the benefits of a leather grip with a little more added comfort.

-robJAR

agree.....but just a "little" added comfort. I need a little more :)

armsty 03-31-2010 12:11 AM

I don't like it. I use it though with two overgrips because you can't feel the difference under 2 overgrips.

Jim Hendricks 03-31-2010 04:10 AM

I was really looking forward to trying it but had a couple of leather grips lying around I put them on before I played with it. I've always preferred leather grips. The syns seem to get smaller over time.

The_Question 03-31-2010 05:59 AM

The hybrid pro is basically 2 layers of overgrips over leather, so to me, it feels like I've a standard thin leather grip with 2 layers of OG on top of it, without increasing/change the grip size...

Chezbeeno 03-31-2010 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 4517393)

I thought the hybrid pro was half synthetic half cotton or something like that, I have 2 4 3/8 that I put leather and two overgrips on and then I have one 4 1/2 with the hybrid pro and one overgrip, they feel almost identical

JackB1 03-31-2010 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chezbeeno (Post 4521903)
I thought the hybrid pro was half synthetic half cotton or something like that, I have 2 4 3/8 that I put leather and two overgrips on and then I have one 4 1/2 with the hybrid pro and one overgrip, they feel almost identical

No....the "Hyprid Pro" is half cotton/half leather
the "Hybrid Performance" is half cotton/half synthetic
the "Hybrid Comfort" is half foam/half synthetic

One negative is that the cotton sticks to the racquet when you try and take it off, so once you put the grip on a racquet, you can't remove it and reuse it. I prefer the Prince Resipro or the Gamma Tech on the BLX95. I would like to try the "Hybrid Comfort" but I am afraid it will make the grip feel too thick.

matchmaker 12-22-2012 11:49 AM

Old thread, but just bought one at a shop and I must say it is as hard as leather, you can take that as a compliment if you like leather, if not, you are better off using another synthetic grip. This is not really synthetic if you look at the composition (half leather, half PU) and it is very thin.