Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Has anyone heard of using magnets for tennis elbow???? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=320441)

jimanuel12 03-31-2010 07:22 AM

Has anyone heard of using magnets for tennis elbow????

i have heard that they really work.
a friend of mine had a really sore knee, he tried the magnet and wore it for an entire day and the soreness went away and has not returned.
he is a runner - he runs about 3 miles every day.
has anyone else heard of this??

charliefedererer 03-31-2010 07:40 AM

The use of magnets has been around a long time as a possible source of healing for sports injuries.

But there is little scientific evidence it really works, and it certainly doesn't make sense to me that weak magnetic forces could really help an injury.

Oftentimes with soreness, it would have improved anyway by the next day, even if nothing had been done.

And then there is the "placebo effect".
How much pain we percieve can be amplified by the anxiety and uncertainty of an injury.
If one really believes a remedy will help, it will relieve some of that anxiety, and restore some hope and confidence that things will improve. This is why in almost every study, some people will genuinely feel better about a remedy, even if it has no real reason why it should work.
This is human nature.
So if your friend has a problem next time I am sure he will anticipate the magnets helping, and indeed he probably will "feel" better about using them, even if they don't really exert any kind of actual force to help the injured area. But they really will have made him "feel" better.

decades 03-31-2010 07:46 AM

you can use magnets on anything. It's the number one crackpot remedy for anything that ails you.

LeeD 03-31-2010 07:50 AM

and RobertWagner will tell you to adopt LightTechnology, infra red light blinking onto your injury to accelerate healing time...on late nite TV ... :)

Joeyg 03-31-2010 07:51 AM

Do you mean Extenz doesn't really work?

ollinger 03-31-2010 09:20 AM

Proponents of magnets suggest that their effect is to disrupt transmission of pain impulses in sensory nerves. If this were the case, and it seems unlikely, it means you could be making your elbow damage worse by playing and causing futher injury but simply not realize it.

SystemicAnomaly 03-31-2010 11:24 AM

I'm don't put much credence or faith in magnet therapy. Altho', the science behind acupuncture and Kinesio-type tapes (like KT tape) are not well known either, I'm inclined to go with these approaches instead.

mikeler 03-31-2010 11:38 AM

I giggle when I see people wearing the magnetic braces. Have you tried ultrasound and electrostimulation yet? It worked for me and several other folks at my club. Not an overnight solution but one that will help you make strides over the course of a few weeks.

ollinger 03-31-2010 02:36 PM

Most of these things are subtle forms of hypnosis, i.e. focused attention. A study done about two decades ago at Columbia U. med school found that the response to acupuncture in a group of patients correlated almost perfectly with their scores on standard tests of hypnotizability.

SystemicAnomaly 03-31-2010 08:05 PM

Here are some alternate theories on the science behind acupuncture:

Scientific_theories_and_mechanisms_of_action

Ripper014 03-31-2010 08:46 PM

I have no idea if magnets work or not. I know people that swear by them... for tennis or golf. But they also say... it depends on the person, for some there is some positive effects... and for others not. All I can say is try it... if it is for you then go for it.

ollinger 04-01-2010 08:42 AM

SA
The link notes that both acupuncture and the placebo response are associated with elevated endorphins, so it offers no support that acupuncture is any more than a fancy placebo. The rest of the section discusses a bit of the physiology of pain, with no particular reference to acupuncture.

SystemicAnomaly 04-02-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 4526304)
SA
The link notes that both acupuncture and the placebo response are associated with elevated endorphins, so it offers no support that acupuncture is any more than a fancy placebo. The rest of the section discusses a bit of the physiology of pain, with no particular reference to acupuncture.

Just because acupuncture and placebos can both elevate endorphin levels does not indicate that acupuncture is merely a placebo effect. Tennis, running, aerobics and other strenuous exercise as well as pregnancy and breast-feeding can also elevate endorphin levels. We certainly would not say, "aha, a placebo effect!" in these cases. Capsaicin and certain products (Choco Energy, 5-hour Energy, 6 Hour Power, ProEndorhin to name a few) can also promote the release of endorphins.

The link merely offers suggestions as to possible explanations for the mechanisms of acupuncture. Certainly, more investigation is required to test out these (or other possible) theories.

ollinger 04-02-2010 04:41 AM

ANYTHING is a POSSIBLE explanation. I was noting that none of those possible explanations seems to be supported by any evidence.

ollinger 04-02-2010 05:16 AM

Keep in mind also that most things that do harm to the body release endorphins, not necessarily a good thing. Physical trauma releases endorphins, which enable you probably to tolerate more trauma than is good for you. All of the proposed mechanisms for acupuncture also offer no explanation for other claims made for it, such as treating various illnesses.

LuckyR 04-02-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimanuel12 (Post 4522128)
a friend of mine had a really sore knee, he tried the magnet and wore it for an entire day and the soreness went away and has not returned.

Using magnets is silly, there is no reason they would work, medically. However I have had good luck with crystals and sleeping under a pyramid.

Kevin T 04-02-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 4529258)
Using magnets is silly, there is no reason they would work, medically. However I have had good luck with crystals and sleeping under a pyramid.

I prefer ear 'candling' before every match. Gets rid of that pesky ear wax and restores my equilibrium. :)

SystemicAnomaly 04-02-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 4528954)
ANYTHING is a POSSIBLE explanation. I was noting that none of those possible explanations seems to be supported by any evidence.

I suppose that is why those explanations are proposed as possible mechanism theories. "Theory" appears to have a double meaning -- it is often used for an unproven hypothesis as well as for a hypothesis than has spawned a wealth of evidence.

Fee 04-02-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 4529308)
I prefer ear 'candling' before every match. Gets rid of that pesky ear wax and restores my equilibrium. :)

Yeah I tried that until I got beat by a guy who used those magic foot pads while he was sleeping.

jimanuel12 04-07-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimanuel12 (Post 4522128)

i know everyone would have a field day with this, but turns out that my friend is a doctor.
he is a runner and his knee was killing him and one of friends gave him one to use, and he was relucant to use, but he tried it anyway and it worked for him.
he said he did not believe in them but this worked for him.
go figure!!!