Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Babolat, Wilson, Head or Gamma leather? I need the thinnest (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=321503)

dadozen 04-06-2010 11:07 AM

Babolat, Wilson, Head or Gamma leather? I need the thinnest

Hello guys.

I'm wondering which one of the 4 leather grips is the thinnest one:

Head Leather Tour
Babolat Natural Leather
Gamma Leather
Wilson Premium Leather

I remember one member that made an extensive comparison among 3 leather grips( Volkl, Babolat and Head, if I remember correctly ), but I can't find the thread.

TW 1.3mm leather grips are out of stock for too long and I need some other options.

Thanks in advance!

dadozen 04-06-2010 02:41 PM

I have just wrapped a Wilson Premium Leather on one of my AG100s and it doesn't feel much thicker than the other AG100 which already came with TW 1.3 x 25mm leather. But the bevels on the TW leather feel much better. I'm not sure if it's because the TW leather is already settled in. I'll have to use the Wilson leather a while to figure that out. Also, the Wilson Premium Leather feels a lot softer than other leather grips I've tried, which means it can be easily stretched.

I'm planning to get the Babolat ones too. Does anybody know if they feel as good as the Wilson ones?

808 04-06-2010 03:05 PM

I'm only familiar with 2 of the 4 (5) grips you mention – Head and Babolat. The Babolat VS feels a bit thinner than the Head Tour, both wrapped the same way.

As an alternative I think Vantage leather is pretty thin, but I'll have to go and check my unwrapped ones to be sure. You can't go wrong with Bab VS, though.

dadozen 04-06-2010 03:19 PM

Thanks man, but I'm a little confused. When you say Babolat VS, you're talking about Babolat Natural Leather Grip right? Or is there any other leather grip from Babolat?

The Wilson Premium Leather Grip I've just wrapped bleeds like crazy .That's annoying. Just after wrapping my white overgrip, it got dirty because my hands were tanned by the leather grip. Also, even overlapping it by a good margin, it still leaves some valleys which translates into a not uniform overgrip on the handle.

Finally, it doesn't feel as good as the TW LG. The bevels are much less pronounced with the Wilson.

Do you feel that Babolat LG + OG keeps the same gripsize as one synthetic grip?

Quarante-Amour 04-06-2010 06:59 PM

Just take a rubber mallet and beat on the leather until it is as thin as you want.

ODYSSEY Mk.4 04-06-2010 07:35 PM

Babolat's from the feel of it.

[d]ragon 04-06-2010 07:45 PM

Babolat's the thinnest of the 4

dadozen 04-06-2010 07:54 PM

Thanks guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [d]ragon (Post 4543213)
Babolat's the thinnest of the 4

[d]ragon, do you feel a noticeable difference from Wilson to Babolat LG? The Wilson LG I have just installed feels almost at the right size, but if the Babolat is thinner and has a better feel, then it's a no brainer.

Tkenshin 04-07-2010 01:15 PM

I only tried the babolat and the head leather grip, and i'd say the babolat is a little bit thinner(maybe .05-.1mm) than the head, but the head feels a lot better than the babolat. hope this helps.

dadozen 04-07-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkenshin (Post 4545164)
I only tried the babolat and the head leather grip, and i'd say the babolat is a little bit thinner(maybe .05-.1mm) than the head, but the head feels a lot better than the babolat. hope this helps.

TKenshin, do you use an OG on top of the LG? What does feel better in the Head Leather Tour?

Thanks

Tkenshin 04-07-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 4545205)
TKenshin, do you use an OG on top of the LG? What does feel better in the Head Leather Tour?

Thanks

Yeah, I have two PS GT Ltds 3/8 , one with the babolat leather and another with the head leather.

For the babolat leather one I used these ogs:
1. Yonex Super Grap- a little bit too thick, but when stretched it was a little bit better.
2. Forten- kind same as the Yonex.
3. Gamma supreme- way too thick.

For the head leather i used only the babolat pro team tacky which is like .05 mm thinner than the yonex super grap and its perfect.

When i was talking about grip size and feel in my earlier, i was talking about without the ogs. The grasp you can hold with the head leather, and the feeling of the placement of the pebbles was better than the babolat leather. Tomorrow I might play around and take off the forten og and put a pro team tacky and see if theres a difference with the same og.

808 04-08-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 4542625)
Thanks man, but I'm a little confused. When you say Babolat VS, you're talking about Babolat Natural Leather Grip right? Or is there any other leather grip from Babolat?

Sorry, yes, I was talking about the Babolat Natural Leather.

dadozen 04-08-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkenshin (Post 4545915)
Yeah, I have two PS GT Ltds 3/8 , one with the babolat leather and another with the head leather.

For the babolat leather one I used these ogs:
1. Yonex Super Grap- a little bit too thick, but when stretched it was a little bit better.
2. Forten- kind same as the Yonex.
3. Gamma supreme- way too thick.

For the head leather i used only the babolat pro team tacky which is like .05 mm thinner than the yonex super grap and its perfect.

When i was talking about grip size and feel in my earlier, i was talking about without the ogs. The grasp you can hold with the head leather, and the feeling of the placement of the pebbles was better than the babolat leather. Tomorrow I might play around and take off the forten og and put a pro team tacky and see if theres a difference with the same og.

Thanks TKenshin. I have tried the Head Leather Tour once, but I found it too thick. It was on a L3 racquet though, so I might give it another try with my L2 racquets. It's also easier to find around my area as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808 (Post 4546602)
Sorry, yes, I was talking about the Babolat Natural Leather.

Thanks man. I'll definitely try them as well.

Tkenshin 04-08-2010 11:51 PM

Well today I put on the babolat pro team tacky on my other ps gtl and wow. It was noticeably thinner than the other racquet with the head leather. Now that both have the same over grips, the babolat one feels thinner(sorry had to repeat myself), you have more feeling of the bebbles, and overall seems to grasp better.

So if you go with no overgrip, go with head.
If you put on an overgrip go with babolat.

dadozen 04-09-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkenshin (Post 4549403)
Well today I put on the babolat pro team tacky on my other ps gtl and wow. It was noticeably thinner than the other racquet with the head leather. Now that both have the same over grips, the babolat one feels thinner(sorry had to repeat myself), you have more feeling of the bebbles, and overall seems to grasp better.

So if you go with no overgrip, go with head.
If you put on an overgrip go with babolat.

Thanks a LOT! That's exactly what I needed to know!

I'll use the leather grips with OGs on top, so Babolat is my choice then! I'll place an order right now( not in TW though ).

Can't wait for them to be delivered. I'm currently using a Wilson Leather but it sucks. Bleeds like crazy, you have to overlap it tremendously, it's thick and you can't feel the bevels well. I'll have to keep using it until the Babolat ones are delivered.

TKenshin, did you have to overlap the Bab LG too much in order to have a flat and uniform grip?

Tkenshin 04-09-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 4549928)
Thanks a LOT! That's exactly what I needed to know!

I'll use the leather grips with OGs on top, so Babolat is my choice then! I'll place an order right now( not in TW though ).

Can't wait for them to be delivered. I'm currently using a Wilson Leather but it sucks. Bleeds like crazy, you have to overlap it tremendously, it's thick and you can't feel the bevels well. I'll have to keep using it until the Babolat ones are delivered.

TKenshin, did you have to overlap the Bab LG too much in order to have a flat and uniform grip?

haha i'm not really good at gripping overgrips yet, but im getting better. I usually over lap inbetween 1/16-1/32, and it varies between there from top to bottom. I hope you like the babolat leather grip, i was gonna take it off and replace it with a tw 1.3 mm when it came back instock but now i think i'm gonna stay with it and go with overgrips that are .55 mm or thinner.

dadozen 04-12-2010 05:32 AM

I have high hopes for the Babolat LGs. While I wait them to be delivered, I bought a Head LG( easier to find near my place ) and it feels a bit thinner than the Wilson LG. Also the feeling is better.

I didn't play with it though, these impressions are all just from getting the racquets in my hands.

The_Question 04-12-2010 06:58 AM

Babolat is 1.75mm...