Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ankle Braces (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=321634)

kimbahpnam 04-07-2010 12:31 AM

Ankle Braces

What are the good ankle brace choices out there? Anyone know what the pros use?

OrangeOne 04-07-2010 12:35 AM

Probably worth a search, i'd think many previous threads...

cxhamilton 04-07-2010 07:00 AM

Pros -- Roddick has been wearing ASO braces on both ankles for years. I think I spotted Isner wearing them as well at the Sony Ericsson.

Personal -- I've been wearing an ASO brace on my left ankle for years. I turned my ankle and, since then, it's been notably weaker in stability. The ASO brace provides just enough support to avoid re-injury, but I have a full range of motion.

TW sells one model here --

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ASO_...eAC-ASOAB.html

A teammate of mine has a similar model, but her brace (given to her by her doctor) has removable plastic shims. The shims provide additional support, at the cost of reduced range of motion.

dekko1 04-07-2010 07:20 AM

I have been wearing Kallassy Ankle supports for about 17 years now, for me, they are the best.
I have spotted quite a few pros wearing them as well; Hewitt is one I can think of.

Steve Huff 04-07-2010 07:34 AM

I use a Swed-O ankle brace. It laces up and has the wrap around straps. It's light and it fits under my shoe. It allows me to move forward and backward, but doesn't allow a rollover. I tried Kallasy. They too, are light, but I didn't find them as supportive, and a lot harder to put on.

Quarante-Amour 04-07-2010 05:24 PM

I use McDavid ankle braces.

Zues 04-08-2010 05:34 PM

Trust me on this one. I have gone through countless of Braces and wasted tons of time and money. Nothing i MEAN NOTHING compares to the ASO ankle brace. It is phenomenal. I play football and use these and they are the B.E.S.T.! Get them

beernutz 04-08-2010 09:18 PM

I have the BioSkin Trilok ankle brace and really like it. I tried the McDavid and the ASO EVO models at a sporting goods store and wasn't impressed. I did some research online and found some recommendations for the Trilok. The Trilok works great for me and I wear it every time I play. Consequently one of its three pieces is starting to show some wear and I will probably have to replace the whole thing about every 2 years.
I didn't buy mine here but that is the price I paid:
http://www.achillesmed.com/Trilok_An...FRCenAodEzMFew

kimbahpnam 04-08-2010 09:45 PM

thanks for the input. i'm trying out the mcdavid protection level 2 on saturday at a tournament. it's mostly for a little bit of arthritis i have which makes my ankles a little more brittle than before. i'm not looking for the maximum level of security, just something comfortable that will give me some support.

Bud 04-09-2010 09:25 AM

The ASO ankle braces are excellent.

I created a thread when I sprained my ankle last year... and a few different brands are discussed in that thread.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=283841

airrmaxx 04-18-2010 09:07 PM

I work as a PT aide, and my PT clinic only carries the ASO with lace/straps. But I believe that people who have propensity to roll their ankles should work on that ankle stability. There are a few theraband exercises you can do to strengthen ankle stabilizers(tendon and ligaments). Try to find shoes that fit snugly on the heel too. Wearing the brace too much can actually allow those stabilizers to weaken from under usage.

Trippisthebest 01-27-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 4549275)
I have the BioSkin Trilok ankle brace and really like it. I tried the McDavid and the ASO EVO models at a sporting goods store and wasn't impressed. I did some research online and found some recommendations for the Trilok. The Trilok works great for me and I wear it every time I play. Consequently one of its three pieces is starting to show some wear and I will probably have to replace the whole thing about every 2 years.
I didn't buy mine here but that is the price I paid:
http://www.achillesmed.com/Trilok_An...FRCenAodEzMFew

I went to this link and could not find that particular model, is there another site i could find it on?

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-27-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airrmaxx (Post 4575607)
I work as a PT aide, and my PT clinic only carries the ASO with lace/straps. But I believe that people who have propensity to roll their ankles should work on that ankle stability. There are a few theraband exercises you can do to strengthen ankle stabilizers(tendon and ligaments). Try to find shoes that fit snugly on the heel too. Wearing the brace too much can actually allow those stabilizers to weaken from under usage.

A professional with knowledge on the subject matter telling forum people to work on their deficiencies instead of buying some miracle product to compensate?

That doesn't sit well with us.

mmk 01-29-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7173302)
A professional with knowledge on the subject matter telling forum people to work on their deficiencies instead of buying some miracle product to compensate?

Note that the post is a couple years old, the "professional" is a PT aide, not a PT, and certainly not an orthopedic surgeon. I don't consider the ASO braces that I use as miracle products, I consider them insurance. I completely tore two ligaments in my right ankle (you could feel the ends), partially tore a third, ruptured the joint capsule, and had a high ankle sprain to boot, along with a completely black lower leg for over a month. The surgeon said that if I were younger he'd operate, but at my age there was no point (and that was in 2000). I went through PT, I do stability training, wear stable shoes that lock in my heel (GR4s), etc. There has been more than one occasion lately where I know full well that without the brace I'd have torn up my ankle again. I don't wear a brace except to play tennis (or other sports), and that is at the advice of my surgeon, whom I trust a bit more than a PT aide I've never met.

marsh 01-29-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7173302)

But, even if you are going to work on a deficiency, will that process not take time? What do you do in the interim?

There are many great braces out there and I have tried most of them, including the hard to find Aircast. My preference is the ASO, I never tried another brace that was as comfortable.

My questions is, has anyone tried the Nike ankle wrap? I'm curious what level of support it offers.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-29-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsh (Post 7177182)
But, even if you are going to work on a deficiency, will that process not take time? What do you do in the interim?

There are many great braces out there and I have tried most of them, including the hard to find Aircast. My preference is the ASO, I never tried another brace that was as comfortable.

My questions is, has anyone tried the Nike ankle wrap? I'm curious what level of support it offers.

That depends on your situation. If your ankles (or any other joints) are simply weak and you'd like to build up the strength/stamina. Then by all means, use a brace or some other support system so you can work your way up, and eventually be rid of any external support.

But if you're an injured player but insists on playing with an injured body part, and thinks external support system can aid in the healing process WHILE continuing to play. You're only hurting yourself more.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of ankle braces, and I have injured/twisted/rolled my ankles (severely on a few occasions). I really think that if you're going to twist/roll your ankles, the forces generated will far exceed what a few straps will be able to withstand.

LeeD 01-29-2013 02:47 PM

Been using the ASO on and mostly off for the past 4 years.
Torn tendons where the top of the foot joins the ankle.
Brace does nothing to alleviate pain or help stabilize anything. Some days, using the brace, the ankle hurts quicker and worse than without.
I guess it only helps to prevent further twisting, but doesn't support structurally at all.