Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   tension for MSV focus hex 1.10? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=322217)

big bang 04-10-2010 02:05 PM

tension for MSV focus hex 1.10?
 
I just received a reel of the hex 1.10 today, I would love to give it a go but I have never been a big fan of poly so Im not sure about what tension I should start with..
I play with heavy spin on both sides (bought hex because it might give me even more spin) I use old 6.1 classics strung with wilson reaction 16 g at 55 pounds and love the feel i get from it. I know I should string poly a bit lower, but it feels wrong to go as low as 50:???: perhaps I should start with a hybrid hex/mains-reaction/crosses?
any hex users who can give me some advice?

pvaudio 04-10-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bang (Post 4552987)
I just received a reel of the hex 1.10 today, I would love to give it a go but I have never been a big fan of poly so Im not sure about what tension I should start with..
I play with heavy spin on both sides (bought hex because it might give me even more spin) I use old 6.1 classics strung with wilson reaction 16 g at 55 pounds and love the feel i get from it. I know I should string poly a bit lower, but it feels wrong to go as low as 50:???: perhaps I should start with a hybrid hex/mains-reaction/crosses?
any hex users who can give me some advice?

I've got 2 of my AG100s strung with a full bed of Hex 1.10. I string at 60/60 and it feels great. Then again, I do enjoy a crisper stringbed than most.

armsty 04-10-2010 03:10 PM

If you're using 55lbs on a synthetic you're best at 48-50lbs to start atleast. Hybrid it with a synthetic cross too just to make it a bit easier to get used to.

I hope it was a free reel.

wrxtotoro 04-10-2010 10:43 PM

I used it at around 48.

000KFACTOR90000 04-11-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 4553001)
I've got 2 of my AG100s strung with a full bed of Hex 1.10. I string at 60/60 and it feels great. Then again, I do enjoy a crisper stringbed than most.

I started out around 50 and instantly recognised this string was going to be best for me strung high range / 60 (and it was!)

fantom 04-11-2010 04:01 AM

I string my MSV Focus Hex 1.10 at 58 lbs.

foolfighter8 04-11-2010 04:39 AM

i would like to know how it play at 35lbs after reading the post from Chris.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN 04-12-2010 01:48 AM

I got a set on its way. I might string it a 62lbs.....i usually do 65lbs with polys

HitItHarder 04-12-2010 07:52 AM

I string synthetic guts around 58 lbs, and found that I prefer MSV Hex 1.10 at 50/52. The stringing recommendations from MSV suggest not stringing above around 53lbs if I recall. Of course that is just a recommended starting place and everyone has to find their own preferred tension.

I tried MSV Hex higher, I just personally thought it played harsh at higher tension.

big bang 04-18-2010 03:23 PM

all I can say is.. what a great string! strung a few frames with full hex at 50 lbs. it plays so nice, great control and power, and it just bites the ball better than any other string I tried. the guys I play with noticed even more spin on my shots and I hit insane spin to begin with. I was hitting nasty topspin and slices all night and the angles I could find was just wicked:). clayseason begins next sunday and Im staying with hex thats for sure!

Uvijek Argen 04-18-2010 04:13 PM

Congratulation on your new strings mate. I did order myself a set of those,but 17L(1.18) with a set of Forten Sweet 17.

I'm planning to string it just like the one that I have now (Lux BBO with Gamma Asterisk @ 43/48) on a Yonex RDS 001 MP. Feels like a pillow, and finally my last pinch from my tennis elbow will be gone.

naylor 04-21-2010 04:37 AM

I've been using a full stringbed of hex 1.10 on my AG100s for about 9 months now. The official range is 55-65 but I read in one of the boards here that it should be more like 50-60. Anyhow, I started high (M-64, X-60) but it always felt a bit boardy, and always played at its best - for my liking - once it loosened up... but then it was only good for about a couple of hours till it went dead. So I started gradually lowering the tensions.

For the last four months, I have gone for M-54, X-50. At that setting, it feels terrific after a restring without any need for settling in.

I have also noted that at those tensions each stringjob seems to last longer than when I used to string 10 lbs. higher. Still, I think the danger is if you get used to playing with this string at lower tensions you can carry on playing OK even when the strings are quite dead, as I've just noticed - I just had all my frames done, and the difference between my previous hit with the old strings on Monday and today's was like chalk and cheese. Going forward, I think I'll go back to my old routine of restringing after 15-20 hrs. play.

I use poly to help generate a little extra spin, and for tight control. My game (c. 4.0 singles, 4.5 doubles) is S&V and allcourt, I hit reasonably flat and I'm not a stringbreaker. That's why I can get away with 1.10. I've had shoulder/elbow problems some years ago, so I guess it's with that in mind that I've ended up with a reasonably low tension setting - but it never bothered me even when I was stringing higher.

smirker 06-13-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foolfighter8 (Post 4553982)
i would like to know how it play at 35lbs after reading the post from Chris.

Well, I can tell you it plays very well. Have it at 35lbs in my M-Fil300. Lot of power but the ball mostly drops in due to the spin, providing you use a semi-western grip. Flat shots work too but you have to adjust a little.

Does not become trampoline like even at this low tension.

smirker 06-13-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naylor (Post 4581975)
I've been using a full stringbed of hex 1.10 on my AG100s for about 9 months now. The official range is 55-65 but I read in one of the boards here that it should be more like 50-60. Anyhow, I started high (M-64, X-60) but it always felt a bit boardy, and always played at its best - for my liking - once it loosened up... but then it was only good for about a couple of hours till it went dead. So I started gradually lowering the tensions.

For the last four months, I have gone for M-54, X-50. At that setting, it feels terrific after a restring without any need for settling in.

I have also noted that at those tensions each stringjob seems to last longer than when I used to string 10 lbs. higher. Still, I think the danger is if you get used to playing with this string at lower tensions you can carry on playing OK even when the strings are quite dead, as I've just noticed - I just had all my frames done, and the difference between my previous hit with the old strings on Monday and today's was like chalk and cheese. Going forward, I think I'll go back to my old routine of restringing after 15-20 hrs. play.

I use poly to help generate a little extra spin, and for tight control. My game (c. 4.0 singles, 4.5 doubles) is S&V and allcourt, I hit reasonably flat and I'm not a stringbreaker. That's why I can get away with 1.10. I've had shoulder/elbow problems some years ago, so I guess it's with that in mind that I've ended up with a reasonably low tension setting - but it never bothered me even when I was stringing higher.

Go lower, you'll love it. Started at 52/50 with the 1.10 Hex and now at 35lbs. Loads of controllable power with no downside as far as I can tell.

pgrimmitt 06-13-2010 02:29 PM

too much to read before posting this, but i would go 8 below mid.

naylor 06-13-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smirker (Post 4762592)
Go lower, you'll love it. Started at 52/50 with the 1.10 Hex and now at 35lbs. Loads of controllable power with no downside as far as I can tell.

Interesting. When I started using the hex I used to automatically restring after 10-12 hrs. play, but now I keep the stringbed for at least 20 hrs.

I was playing a match with a frame right on the 20-hr mark, the courts were damp and the racket didn't feel good, so I switched to a fresh stringjob at my usual 54/50. But instead of having the "old" frame restrung I kept it and played another 3 hrs. with it, this time in dry conditions - and guess what? it felt pretty good still. As you say, extra power, but also very controllable with extra spin - I was playing doubles, and I could get that ball to dip wickedly as soon as it went over the net for winning passes. I checked the tension afterwards, and it was around 40 lbs.

I've noticed that the strings are beginning to move a bit, a sure sign they'll start sawing through and will break soon. Based on your comment, I may well try a fresh restring lower than the 54/50 I currently go for (quite simply, I started higher but gradually came down and stopped there because at that tension the strings feel good the moment the frame comes out of the bag, without any "fresh string-job" boardiness).

I'll probably try 50/46 and see how that plays out, in terms of extra power from the lower tension but with fresh "hex bits".

naylor 06-16-2010 04:10 PM

Update on hex 1.10 @ lower tension 50/46
 
Yesterday I hit for 2 hrs. (doubles) with the lower set-up, and I'm sold on it - thanks for the tip, smirker.

The extra power helped when I was trying to flatten high forehands from the baseline, and also a couple of times on backhand topspin passes DTL on the move when I had to shorten the backswing and simply hit through the ball. And I also noticed some extra pace and action on serves.

But above all, the one shot I nailed yesterday was the short forehand putaway, where the opponent plays a block/slice with little on that bounces on the T but not too high. On those, I was stepping across from the ad service box, taking the ball early, and flicking them with both pace and topspin over the net and down towards the sidelines for clean winners, wrongfooting the opponent's partner moving towards their T to cover the down-the-middle shot.

If the stringjob lasts for 15 / 20 hrs., I'm onto a winner here!

smirker 06-16-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naylor (Post 4771902)
Yesterday I hit for 2 hrs. (doubles) with the lower set-up, and I'm sold on it - thanks for the tip, smirker.

The extra power helped when I was trying to flatten high forehands from the baseline, and also a couple of times on backhand topspin passes DTL on the move when I had to shorten the backswing and simply hit through the ball. And I also noticed some extra pace and action on serves.

But above all, the one shot I nailed yesterday was the short forehand putaway, where the opponent plays a block/slice with little on that bounces on the T but not too high. On those, I was stepping across from the ad service box, taking the ball early, and flicking them with both pace and topspin over the net and down towards the sidelines for clean winners, wrongfooting the opponent's partner moving towards their T to cover the down-the-middle shot.

If the stringjob lasts for 15 / 20 hrs., I'm onto a winner here!

Glad you liked it. I will be sticking with the lower tension too. Might go upto 40lbs next time as I have to focus on hitting heavy spin to retain control at 35lbs.

Causing me problems on my BH which I hit flatter than my FH. A few fliers last night when I played.

Also going to string up a multi at regular tension as I have been playing poly exclusively for the last couple of years.

Hoping it will give me more touch at net which I need for my doubles matches.

kiteboard 06-17-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 000KFACTOR90000 (Post 4553780)
I started out around 50 and instantly recognised this string was going to be best for me strung high range / 60 (and it was!)

LIsten to this guy. Too much trampoline otherwise.

hoodjem 06-17-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bang (Post 4552987)
I play with heavy spin on both sides (bought hex because it might give me even more spin) I use old 6.1 classics strung with wilson reaction 16 g at 55 pounds and love the feel i get from it. I know I should string poly a bit lower, but it feels wrong to go as low as 50:???: perhaps I should start with a hybrid hex/mains-reaction/crosses?
any hex users who can give me some advice?

I tried this poly in a hybrid with the Hex in the mains, and Gosen OGSM 18g crosses. It had really good feel and touch for a poly. In my AG100 (90 sq. in.), I did 53 lbs. tension on the mains and 56 on the crosses.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse