Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   I need whey protein. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard or Muscle Milk? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=323164)

ogruskie 04-16-2010 05:39 PM

I need whey protein. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard or Muscle Milk?

I'm currently in my cutting phase, trying to burn away the fat and keep the muscle that I have. I'm finishing up my tub of ON Gold Standard Whey Protein and I need more since I'm running out.S o far I've been content with it. However, Muscle Milk caught my eye and I'm really interested in it. MM is slightly more expensive. If it's better, I'll invest. If it's just as good as ON, I'll stick with what I'm currently using.

Vyse 04-16-2010 05:53 PM

I would just stick with Optimum, it is pretty cheap, good taste too. It is also pretty pure in the protein although I have not looked at what Muscle Milks label (isn't it more of a weight gainer).

OKUSA 04-16-2010 08:28 PM

just stay with 100% whey, i use ON Double Chocolate only because it doesn't taste like utter crap in milk and it dissolves somewhat good

muscle milk is just a waste of money, what you need is protein not sugar and whatever else they put in that overpriced garbage

Gmedlo 04-16-2010 08:39 PM

Of the two, I would pick ON. However, for my next order, I am picking up a 25 pound bag from trueprotein.com for dirt cheap. I emailed them and asked for a sample which they promptly sent out and I liked it. Win.

Vyse 04-16-2010 09:09 PM

Best thing to do is to make it into a pudding. It is thick and most of the flavors taste good so its win-win. Most people think I am weird when I tell them this but it is good.

scotus 04-16-2010 11:30 PM

I used to buy ON all the time.

But I recently picked up a few tubs of Muscle Milk from Costco. A good deal and good taste, and these are isolates with lower cholesterol than I remember from ON.

El Guapo 04-17-2010 11:42 AM

You guys don't read much, do you? Muscle Milk isn't whey. It has some whey in it but it's mostly milk protein (casein).

OKUSA 04-17-2010 02:02 PM

i don't need to read about it because it's 350 calories for 32g of protein, when i can just get a 100% whey and get 24g for 120 calories

scotus 04-17-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Guapo (Post 4571181)
You guys don't read much, do you? Muscle Milk isn't whey. It has some whey in it but it's mostly milk protein (casein).

So what? Whey also comes from cow's milk.

Muscle Milk's claim is that their product is better because it contains both whey and casein proteins.

El Guapo 04-17-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 4571596)
So what? Whey also comes from cow's milk.

Muscle Milk's claim is that their product is better because it contains both whey and casein proteins.

You = clueless if you think that whey and casein are the same thing. Of course, OKUSA isn't much smarter thinking that 24g of 100% whey is 120 calories. LOL

ogruskie 04-17-2010 04:08 PM

Thanks for the responses, I bought the ON.

Also, should I mix the whey with nonfat milk? Is it better that way for any particular reason? I've always mixed the whey with water...

El Guapo 04-17-2010 05:40 PM

Mix with milk if you want it to absorb slowly. Mix with water if you want it absorbed quickly.

OKUSA 04-17-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Guapo (Post 4571759)
You = clueless if you think that whey and casein are the same thing. Of course, OKUSA isn't much smarter thinking that 24g of 100% whey is 120 calories. LOL

i know it isn't, but that's the lowest you can find that wouldn't taste like crap, in fact i don't think any manufacturer sells completely 100% whey (i believe whey protein in and of itself isn't 100% protein, and contains some fat/carbs due to impurities). keep drinking your sugar milk, i don't care. and anyone that tells me they drink muscle milk is a sure reader of magazine rack fitness magazines with their knowledge of fitness/nutrition as deep as their quarter squats

snoopy 04-17-2010 08:05 PM

Jarrows unflavored whey is pretty good.

Even when you just mix it with water it doesn't taste too horrible. It doesn't taste good, just not too horrible.

OKUSA 04-17-2010 08:42 PM

i'm confused, it says muscle milk vs on nutrition gold standard and he says he wants to keep his muscle while cutting (losing fat)

one is 300 calories and 32g of protein while the other is 130 calories and 24g of protein

what would you choose if you were in his position? maybe you need to read the thread

also, the reason why i hate muscle milk is because it's overpriced and there are better and cheaper options available. the only reason for it's success is because it's every where in muscle mags, and the name itself 'muscle milk' will get people to buy it

better off just buying whole milk at the grocery store

coyfish 04-17-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogruskie (Post 4571764)
Thanks for the responses, I bought the ON.

Also, should I mix the whey with nonfat milk? Is it better that way for any particular reason? I've always mixed the whey with water...

I always use skim milk. Tastes / mixes better and is more protein / vitamins / etc. But if you are trying to shave calories there than just use water. Take a multivitamin.

Good choice to go with ON. Muscle milk isn't bad but its high in fat.

coyfish 04-17-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Guapo (Post 4571759)

They only time you "need" whey protein is postworkout. Because it absorbs so quickly. During normal meals you don't really wan't protein that breaks down so fast. Muscle milk contains both so its more versatile. Drinking milk with your whey protein obviously also adds casein.

El Diablo 04-18-2010 10:56 AM

Try General Tso's Chicken -- loaded with protein!

Hoffer 04-18-2010 11:47 AM

I suggest that you stick with ON Gold Standard, and stay away from Muscle Milk. ON Nutrition is 24 grams protein at between 110-130 calories a serving (one scoop), depending on what flavor you get. Meanwhile Muscle Milk is 35 g protein and 300 calories, but that is a two scoop serving. Also muscle milk is a protein mixture where as ON Gold standard is whey only.

Reasons to not use Muscle Milk:
1) Itís a blend of protein and other substances that help body builders more then other athletes, 300 calories are a lot.
2) For athletes anymore then 30 grams of protein at a time for non-bodybuilders is usually overkill, if you really want to use muscle milk you could first try just using half a serving. (1 scoop)
3) One ingredient in Muscle Milk (glycocyamine) has been tied in with increasing homocysteine levels, which is a marker for cardiovascular disease.

Mixing in Water vs. Milk:
Post workout I would suggest immediately after your last lift drinking your whey with water and maybe having a banana as well. When mixing with water there is faster absorption into the body while milk causes slower absorption times. Mixing with milk at other times of the day for slower absorption is ideal in various situations.

Whey and Casein Protein:
Although not in the original post there seems to be some misconception on this through out the topic. Whey protein is ideal for pre, intra, and post workout. If you taking protein during any of these times, itís the fastest absorbing protein possible, making it ideal for these times of exercise when your muscles need protein the most. Casein is a much slower digesting protein; this is because it takes the body much longer to break the proteins down vs whey. Casein is usually taken before bed to help with muscle recovery while you sleep, as it will work longer into the night. If interested in taking a Casein supplement I would suggest Optimum 100% Casein Protein. Just note that is a much denser powder and when you shake up pure Casein protein supplements it becomes more of a sludge/yogurt type consistency.

scotus 04-18-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKUSA (Post 4571500)
i don't need to read about it because it's 350 calories for 32g of protein, when i can just get a 100% whey and get 24g for 120 calories

There are different types of Muscle Milk products.

The one I take has the serving size of 1 scoop, 26 g of protein, 130 Calories, and 15 mg of cholesterol.