Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Klahn is higher ranked thank Clayton?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=323256)

HunterST 04-17-2010 12:08 PM

Klahn is higher ranked thank Clayton??

I don't know much at all about the college tennis scene, but from all the hype that surrounds Alex Clayton on this board and in other places, I thought he would be in the top 10 of college players. I even saw Bob Bryan say "Clayton is a stud" on his twitter account.

I looked at the college rankings online, and Clayton isn't even the highest ranked player at his school. Klahn is quite a bit higher up in the rankings.

What's the deal here? Why so much hype for clatyon if he's a junior and not even in the top 20 for college rankings?

This is not meant to disparage Clayton. I've watched him on youtube and he's obviously very talented. I'm just curious as to why he is the only college player I've heard of and he's not even in the top 10.

socaltennnis 04-17-2010 05:16 PM

Because Clayton was ranked top 5 in his freshmen year and made semis of NCAA singles. He was also one of the best junior players prior to coming to college, winning a junior Grant Slam doubles. In his sophomore year, he went down in the rankings to about top 20 last year, although he still made it to the semis of the NCAA singles. This year, he has consistently played #2 for his team and therefore does not play the higher ranked player that Klahn gets to play.

Fedace 04-17-2010 06:30 PM

Yea,,,Clayton is a STUD allright. He is the next NCAA division 1 champ. and Stanford is the next NCAA division 1 championship winner.

No. 7 Stanford 6, No. 13 California 1
Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Doubles
1. No. 3 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) def. Konigsfeldt/Zerbini (CAL) 8-5
2. No. 46 Clayton/Wire (STAN) def. Dahan/Katsarov (CAL) 8-3
3. Kandath/Lin (STAN) def. Andrews/Lovill (CAL) 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1 (Stanford wins doubles point)
Singles
1. No. 19 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. No. 9 Bradley Klahn (STAN) 6-4, 6-7(5), 1-0(5)
2. No. 79 Ryan Thacher (STAN) def. No. 95 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (CAL) 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 49 Alex Clayton (STAN) def. Nick Andrews (CAL) 7-5, 6-2
4. Denis Lin (STAN) def. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 6-2, 6-7(7), 1-0(8)
5. Richard Wire (STAN) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 6-4, 7-5
6. Greg Hirshman (STAN) def. Bijan Hejazi (CAL) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3*, 5, 1, 4

HunterST 04-18-2010 08:42 AM

Fedace,

Now Clayton is playing number 3 on his own team!? How the hell is he gonna be the NCAA champ if he's not even in the top two of his own team? Again, I'm not trying to slay Clatyon is bad. More so I'm thinking "Why is Stanford putting him at number 2 and 3 singles when he's such a good player?"

Another odd observation: In videos on youtube Clayton looks like a well muscled man, in his picture he looks like a 12 year old boy.

Fedace 04-18-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterST (Post 4573563)
Fedace,

Now Clayton is playing number 3 on his own team!? How the hell is he gonna be the NCAA champ if he's not even in the top two of his own team? Again, I'm not trying to slay Clatyon is bad. More so I'm thinking "Why is Stanford putting him at number 2 and 3 singles when he's such a good player?"

Another odd observation: In videos on youtube Clayton looks like a well muscled man, in his picture he looks like a 12 year old boy.

Alex was in the slump. Coach moved him down a spot to gain some confidence in the 3rd spot and we will see how alex does in Pac-10 championships. and the final lineups will be made for NCAA tournament. Nothing is written in stone at the moment. :) Goal is win the NCAA, how it happens and who plays where doesn't matter at this point. but if Alex does well in Pac-10 tournament then he will be moved back to 2nd spot.

subban 04-20-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterST (Post 4573563)
Fedace,

Maybe its all the roids he is doing. They should really test him. :)
Anyway, does'nt brad gilbert's son play singles for Cal Berkley?

LeeD 04-20-2010 09:52 AM

Wow, did I miss that one?
I'm in Berkeley, only windsurfed on Sat.
Played at Hellman two weeks ago.
Isn't Klahn older and more experienced? And lefty? He should be #1.

HunterST 04-20-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 4579630)
Wow, did I miss that one?
I'm in Berkeley, only windsurfed on Sat.
Played at Hellman two weeks ago.
Isn't Klahn older and more experienced? And lefty? He should be #1.

Actually, I think Klahn is a sophomore and Clayton is a junior. Could be wrong though.

LeeD 04-20-2010 10:27 AM

I don't watch the college scene, but I thought Klahn was lefty and 6'+, with a big serve.
Clayton seems shorter, rightie, a baseline basher counter puncher style, and conventional if not weak serves.
So if it was me coaching, and both about equal against other Stanford players and one another, I'd put Klahn into #1 singles, the best chance to win at that position.
Not assured of course, #1 Div1 singles is pretty tough.

darthpwner 04-20-2010 08:26 PM

I think Clayton has a better serve than Klahn.

Fedace 04-21-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthpwner (Post 4581384)
I think Clayton has a better serve than Klahn.

You think ??? Everyone on the team knows Alex Clayton has the best serve on the team,,,,period. Klahn's serve has improved a great deal over the years but still not as heavy or fast. Klahn's serve is more similar to Fernando Verdasco's,,,,,lots spin with medium pace. and Alex's serve is like Ivan Lendl's serve. big and heavy.

darthpwner 04-21-2010 07:31 AM

Yeah, Alex has a big first and second serve. But I believe that Ryan Thacher has a bigger serve than Clayton. Thacher's serve is pretty much his best shot and his consistency from the ground isn't great, while Clayton has a good all-around game.

bfactor61 03-17-2011 06:20 PM

oh yeah i would agree with you thacher has the best serve on the team. THACHER BRINGS THE WOOD. most of his opponents cant even return it :). thats why klahn/thacher are nasty at dubs. Clayton is definitely a STUD. He holds the team together at number 3 and also has one of the best one handed backhand i have ever seen. I watched some videos of alex at court level and he has huge top on the forehand side.

Think about it there is no way that you cant classify alex as a STUD. He has won a grand slam and other high level jr tourneys. Plus roddick called him up in 2005 and asked him to be a practice partner for the davis cup team.

ClarkC 03-17-2011 07:09 PM

Clayton plays #3, not #2, at Stanford and has all year. Thacher is #2 and Klahn is #1.

Clayton is a senior and Klahn and Thacher are juniors.

TourTenor 03-18-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterST (Post 4571134)
I don't know much at all about the college tennis scene, but from all the hype that surrounds Alex Clayton on this board and in other places, I thought he would be in the top 10 of college players. I even saw Bob Bryan say "Clayton is a stud" on his twitter account.

I looked at the college rankings online, and Clayton isn't even the highest ranked player at his school. Klahn is quite a bit higher up in the rankings.

What's the deal here? Why so much hype for clatyon if he's a junior and not even in the top 20 for college rankings?

This is not meant to disparage Clayton. I've watched him on youtube and he's obviously very talented. I'm just curious as to why he is the only college player I've heard of and he's not even in the top 10.

It is called "overhype" and is propogated by one particular member of this board. We had the same situation with Matt Bruch (who?) three years ago when there were some outragious predictions being made about him. In fact, each player this particular board member hypes seems to go down in flames ...

Clemson_tennis 03-18-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfactor61 (Post 5496394)
oh yeah i would agree with you thacher has the best serve on the team. THACHER BRINGS THE WOOD. most of his opponents cant even return it :). thats why klahn/thacher are nasty at dubs. Clayton is definitely a STUD. He holds the team together at number 3 and also has one of the best one handed backhand i have ever seen. I watched some videos of alex at court level and he has huge top on the forehand side.

Think about it there is no way that you cant classify alex as a STUD. He has won a grand slam and other high level jr tourneys. Plus roddick called him up in 2005 and asked him to be a practice partner for the davis cup team.

Notice that you are mentioning the past a lot here. He's ranked 93rd in College tennis right now and has had some bad losses

T1000 03-18-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 5498264)
Notice that you are mentioning the past a lot here. He's ranked 93rd in College tennis right now and has had some bad losses

delete post

DownTheLine 03-18-2011 02:24 PM

Alex had the brightest future ahead of him of all juniors other than Young and Querry at his time. He was/is insanely good, but couldn't hold it together.

TourTenor 03-18-2011 04:43 PM

^^^ They said the same thing about our favorite Cardinal tennis fan. He showed so much promise at a very young age. Then he started goofing off in Miss Spitz' fourth grade spelling class. Somehow he just strayed off the path. Later he discovered the "Standford Tennis Team", testing pharmaceuticals and observing "hot swetty blondes" ... all at the ripe age of 13. You gotta say he he showed desire for each one. Ah, well, you know the rest ...

Rob_C 03-21-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTheLine (Post 5498933)
Alex had the brightest future ahead of him of all juniors other than Young and Querry at his time. He was/is insanely good, but couldn't hold it together.

??? How did he have the brightest future when he never won anything big as a jr??