Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best cross for gut mains to lower power (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=32384)

Craig Sheppard 05-10-2005 05:38 AM

Best cross for gut mains to lower power

I'm trying some different gut hybrids. I usually use a gut main and a PSG Duraflex cross. Rather than pumping up the tension, any suggestions as to what other strings could I use in the cross to lower the power of the gut? Only caveat is I'm looking for something relatively cheap, so the Luxilon strings are really not an option. (Gut is already expensive enough) I have some Prince Polygut on hand...would that work? Anyone been through a similar scenario?

NoBadMojo 05-10-2005 05:44 AM

the prob i see with this is you are gonna have a setup in which the tension loss may be ridiculously high in the crosses, and gut as you know, holds tension quite well. the pros dont care..they just switch to a new frame when their gut/poly setup loses playablity after a set or so. another option would be to presterch the gut quite vigourusly (depending).you can take some power out of it that way.

Match-Point 05-10-2005 05:58 AM

Craig, I agree with NBMJ. Prince Polygut with loose tension very fast. What's wrong with the PSG?

thatonedue 05-10-2005 06:39 AM

have u tried actually buying a hybrid instead of making one. cuz like klip x-plosive is a good hybrid with a poly that will hold tension and the gut in mains. or babolat hurricane in mains and gut in crosses (vice/versa). both are options you can try that are cheaper (klip being the cheaper of the 2). but if you want to keep your current set-up of a gut main and syn cross, then i wouldn't use the polygut; the tension maitenance is horrible.

andirez 05-10-2005 06:44 AM

I always use Luxilon Monotec Supersense in the crosses when I want to have a gut hybrid. I string it at the same tension as the gut. Works very well and stops the gut from moving (using either VS Touch 1.30 or BDE Rallye Gut 1.30 for mains)

Ah, just read that luxilon is too expensive, so ignore my reply :)

Craig Sheppard 05-10-2005 06:47 AM

Yeah I had considered that about the tension loss... I just mentioned Polygut b/c I had it around and wanted to use it...(and I just want to try more strings!) Was hoping someone would say something like Poly Pro Plasma or something else that holds tension decently and is low-powered. That would be a kick--gut color in mains and super orange in crosses!

M-P, I've got the tension up to 62 lbs now w/ my Pro 1s, and still the first time I hit with it balls were just jumping off my racquet. This was the first time I tried gut w/ the Pro 1...w/ the Extreme FT a gut hybrid at 60 lbs was really sweet. The Pro 1 being more powerful I bumped it up to 62. As it broke in a bit I got a little more used to it, but I'm just planning for next time. Nothing's especially wrong w/ PSG crosses, I was looking for another way to mute some of the gut's power a little w/o losing the feel of gut mains too much.

Yes I'm probably being nitpicky... (As a side note and as I think about this a little... I'm beginning to think I'm not actually getting a full 62 lbs out of my Klippermate... thinking out loud)

Match-Point 05-10-2005 06:55 AM

Gotcha Craig. You better stop "juicing" dude so you can keep balls in the court, lol! Jerry Seinfield may be able to chime in here on the Signum poly's. I still have not tried any.
M-P

Craig Sheppard 05-10-2005 10:02 AM

MP, man I watched a little bit of Duke's mens team practice a little while ago... I better call up Vic Conti at BALCO if I want to hit anywhere near like them!

Match-Point 05-10-2005 10:12 AM

I know what you mean Craig. I watched Duke vs. NC State several weeks ago and couldn't believe how hard they hit the ball. It sure adds a different perspective being 8 feet from the court. M-P

Gaines Hillix 05-10-2005 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Sheppard
I'm trying some different gut hybrids. I usually use a gut main and a PSG Duraflex cross. Rather than pumping up the tension, any suggestions as to what other strings could I use in the cross to lower the power of the gut? Only caveat is I'm looking for something relatively cheap, so the Luxilon strings are really not an option. (Gut is already expensive enough) I have some Prince Polygut on hand...would that work? Anyone been through a similar scenario?

I'd give the Prince Poly Gut a go. It's been well recommended by Greg Raven of this board(and the USRSA staff).

lildev0426 05-10-2005 08:25 PM

i used monogut (ashaway) strung 3 lbs higher in the crosses and even after the initial tension loss it definitely tamed the ng power.

monologuist 05-11-2005 09:28 AM

You may wanna try the Signum Pro Poly Plasma as a cross...it's supposed to have the best tension-holding of any poly...or the Signum Poly Megaforce (an ALU Power substitute)...also Head RIP control maybe?

Steve F. 05-19-2005 09:34 AM

How's the search?

Quote:

Very curious to see how this has turned out for you Craig. Any luck?

Craig Sheppard 05-19-2005 10:18 AM

Sorry Steve, haven't had a chance to experiment yet--the stuff I have in there is just lasting too long! Tonic+ is unbelievable... I've played at least 6 matches with it and it's really showing little wear. Only a random string saver here and tere.

Steve F. 05-19-2005 10:25 AM

Darn you, Tonic+! Pesky durability overshadows control and power, lol!

tedmeister 05-20-2005 10:21 AM

Quote:

Rather than pumping up the tension, any suggestions as to what other strings could I use in the cross to lower the power of the gut? Only caveat is I'm looking for something relatively cheap, so the Luxilon strings are really not an option. (Gut is already expensive enough) I have some Prince Polygut on hand...would that work? Anyone been through a similar scenario?

Craig, at the same tension, it would probably make it worse. Polygut is soft and has a lot of pop in it. If you can get your hold of some Zo life from someone who got a sample, it would take out some power from your gut mains. Make sure you pull on the crosses twice(pre-stretch mode if you got it on your machine) to stiffen it up even more. It is a less powerful setup than lux BBalu or alu rough. I string it at 58(95, 16 x20) on the x's. This setup has ample power and control at the same time for me. The string might behave a bit differently as you go up there in tension. It is glassy smooth and won't cut through your mains as quick as an alu would. Tension holding is also great compared to most polys I have tried. Would never use an all Zo life job again though.

mctennis 05-23-2005 07:38 PM

I use Bow brand gut crosses and TiMO mains.

AndyC 05-24-2005 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monologuist
You may wanna try the Signum Pro Poly Plasma as a cross...it's supposed to have the best tension-holding of any poly...or the Signum Poly Megaforce (an ALU Power substitute)...also Head RIP control maybe?

I've gone down this route. I usually string with BB gut mains and a monofilament synthetic gut cross (usually a BB version of this) but was looking for something with a little less pop.

Stringing BB gut with Pro Poly Plasma (17g for both) did lead to a slight decrease in power though not as much decrease as I would have hoped for. Surprisingly the pro poly snapped after 7 sessions of tennis. (May have something to do with the fact I string the gut mains at 58 lbs and the pro poly crosses at 60lbs).

Am currently using BB gut mains with Poly Megaforce crosses (again 17g for both) and again I'd say it's similar to the pro poly plasma in power. This setup is actually still going strong (with some fraying but not close to snapping) after 2 weeks (11 sessions).

Personally I don't think there's much to be gained (or lost power-wise) for me between the Signum crosses and the BB crosses I mentioned earlier so will probably stick with the BB crosses that I can get for cheaper.

monologuist 05-24-2005 03:47 AM

AndyC...you can get BB for cheaper than Signum?

CAn you tell me how the Signum Megaforce felt different than the PLasma as a cross, and how different they would be to either all-gut or gut with a mono filament cross? Is there a decrease in feel or comfort? is the decrease in power using these poly crosses any greater than using a mono cross? did they poly crosses saw the gut mains at all?

AndyC 05-25-2005 04:41 AM

I should clarify it's the BB synthetic gut and yes I can get that cheaper by the pack than with any Signum by the pack. (I have a corporate account with BB).

To be honest I couldn't really tell a huge difference between either signum as a cross. But I haven't got the same experience of playing with them as with all gut and gut/synth gut hybrids. They felt very similar and both have less power than the monofilament synth gut/gut hybrid (which again has less power than a full gut string job). I know this because the first time I played using the signum/gut hybrid was in a match and I dumped a whole lot of touch volleys into the net in the first two sets before making adjustments for the last set. This was about the only place I really felt the difference - serves didn't seem to be any worse off (and it may have been my touch was off that day though I do play with a lot of touch shots).

As for feel, I think that monofilament synth gut/gut hybrid has better feel. I get the impression of how the ball brushes in the strings better than with the signum/gut hybrid. Comfort was very similar though it's not something I routinely think about except when I notice my arm/shoulder hurting and I didn't note this at all with either the poly pro/megaforce.

Looking at the strings now (megaforce/gut hybrid) shows some fraying of the gut but no more than I'd expect after two weeks with a synth gut/gut hybrid. Funnily enough as I mentioned it was the pro plasma that snapped first in that particular combination with the gut. To me it just underlines how much more the mains affect the strong job than the crosses.