Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Can someone explain the base clamp terminology? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=324463)

sstchur 04-24-2010 07:27 AM

Can someone explain the base clamp terminology?

I realized that I THOUGHT I understood it all, but apparently I don't.

Can some explain the various terms to me: spring-assisted, cone lock, swivel, etc...?

Swivel I'm pretty sure I get (as opposed to glide bar).

What is cone lock? If your base clamps are cone lock does that imply they are NOT spring assisted?

I emailed Mutual Power asking if my machine could be upgraded to spring-assisted base clamps, and the reply was that they ARE spring assisted.

Maybe I am a complete idiot and using them wrong (entirely possible!)

The MP web site says:

// I get this part
Adjustable width linear ball bearing string gripper.

// I get this part
2 diamond-coated spring assisted aluminum alloy thumb-adjustable swivel tennis clamps.

// I don't get this part
Easy operate cone lock swivel clamping system with durable carbon-steel handle.

I thought that if it was cone lock, it was NOT spring assisted?

My understanding is screwed up.

David123 04-24-2010 07:51 AM

cone lock clamps: (look at base of clamp) theyre harder to use than spring assisted.

http://www.eagnas.com/flex840.html

spring assisted: (look at base) almost no torque at all needed to lock it into base.

http://www.eagnas.com/com910.html

basicaly cone lock is sticks sticking out lol while spring looks different.

sstchur 04-24-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David123 (Post 4590596)
cone lock clamps: (look at base of clamp) theyre harder to use than spring assisted.

http://www.eagnas.com/flex840.html

spring assisted: (look at base) almost no torque at all needed to lock it into base.

http://www.eagnas.com/com910.html

basicaly cone lock is sticks sticking out lol while spring looks different.

Ok, this was my understanding as well. So if the MP says "cone lock" doesn't that imply that they are NOT spring assisted?

David123 04-24-2010 08:11 AM

yep cone lock means not spring assisted lol. And spring assisted are the best. I wouldnt buy a machine without one due to some people complaining about cone lock and wanting to upgrade which will cost 200$ id rather spend a bit more and get it all in one bundle.

sstchur 04-24-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David123 (Post 4590644)
yep cone lock means not spring assisted lol. And spring assisted are the best. I wouldnt buy a machine without one due to some people complaining about cone lock and wanting to upgrade which will cost 200$ id rather spend a bit more and get it all in one bundle.

Well you know it's interesting. I've never used spring assisted, but I think I would like them. This is coming from someone who has been using the cone lock for several weeks now.

Interestingly, I don't know why I want to try spring assisted, except to maybe "find out what I'm missing," b/c to be honest, the cone lock hold well and actually require very little force. Maybe it's all in my head.

Actually, if anything I would say I'd almost prefer self-centering mounts over the spring assisted base clamps.

David123 04-24-2010 08:40 AM

lol i wouldnt if you don't do a high volume of tennis rackets why would you want self centering mounts? I'd rather make something that last around half an hr more enjoyable than something that only lasts a minute or less. I mount my racket on a gamma progresion 602 in less than a minute. So why does it matter? spring assisted clamps to go!

David123 04-24-2010 08:41 AM

all this talk bout stringing makes me want to go string right now :)

sstchur 04-24-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David123 (Post 4590712)
lol i wouldnt if you don't do a high volume of tennis rackets why would you want self centering mounts? I'd rather make something that last around half an hr more enjoyable than something that only lasts a minute or less. I mount my racket on a gamma progresion 602 in less than a minute. So why does it matter? spring assisted clamps to go!

Given how little force is required for my cone lock clamps, it's hard for me to imagine much difference in effort or time savings with spring assisted.

But getting the racquet centered properly (which I am anal about) is a little annoying.

Lakers4Life 04-24-2010 10:53 AM

The Eagnas and MP Cone locks are the same thing. It's a screw/bolt with a repositionable lever. Even the later model are just bolts without the ability to reposition.

You do want the Switch action or lever action base clamps over the Cone Lock. Don't ask me why they call it a Cone Lock, but it's a bolt with T-nut.

As for spring asisted, there is a spring in the repositionable levers, but it just pushed the lever down to lock in to the bolt. You pull it to reposition.

David123 04-24-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstchur (Post 4590719)
Given how little force is required for my cone lock clamps, it's hard for me to imagine much difference in effort or time savings with spring assisted.

But getting the racquet centered properly (which I am anal about) is a little annoying.

it takes like a minute why do u care if you don't do high volumes?

sstchur 04-24-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 4591018)
The Eagnas and MP Cone locks are the same thing. It's a screw/bolt with a repositionable lever. Even the later model are just bolts without the ability to reposition.

You do want the Switch action or lever action base clamps over the Cone Lock. Don't ask me why they call it a Cone Lock, but it's a bolt with T-nut.

As for spring asisted, there is a spring in the repositionable levers, but it just pushed the lever down to lock in to the bolt. You pull it to reposition.

What does switch action mean? Why do I want it over Cone Lock?

Switch action doesn't use a bolt with T-nut?

sstchur 04-24-2010 11:12 AM

I can't really pinpoint why, but I'm feeling some buyer's remorse with the MP Titan 7700.

I don't know why, b/c I can't really find anything wrong with it. The cost wasn't bad and the machine seems to be exactly as advertised.

It's almost like I'm just now realizing that I want features I didn't know I wanted. I didn't think I cared about SC mounts or spring-action base clamps or 3-tooth clamps. But I was coming from an SP Swing (drop weight with flying clamps), so I didn't really KNOW that those features were indeed important to me.

It's unfortunate, b/c I stand firm that the Titan 7700 is a fine decision for anyone who want a machine with ITS features.

It's just that I'm realizing (after the fact) that I actually wanted DIFFERENT features. It's not a knock against the machine; it's me not realizing what I really wanted.

I feel stuck now. :-(

I shouldn't though -- it's still much more pleasant to string on than my SP Swing was.

What to do... what to do...

David123 04-24-2010 11:21 AM

How much did you get the machine for? Then again you would have to pay way more for the features you wanted. Self centering mounts if generally found in machines over $1000 for those who are really looking at stringing high volumes of rackets. I still didnt buy my machine but i am considering the Revo 4k. The only thing it doesnt have that you were talking about is the self centering mounts. But why would i want to pay double the machine for self centering mounts when i won't be stringing a lot of rackets. It's a quite minute set up and not worth it. Revo 4k comes in 3 tooth, spring assisted and is a very rough machine :P That's why ive been reseaching so much so that i purchase a machine that i don't regret. Then again, think about the price you'd have to pay for self centering mounts, adn if the cone lock is not a big deal, then don't worry about it. For those comlpainging it is a big deal :P

sstchur 04-24-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David123 (Post 4591081)
How much did you get the machine for? Then again you would have to pay way more for the features you wanted. Self centering mounts if generally found in machines over $1000 for those who are really looking at stringing high volumes of rackets. I still didnt buy my machine but i am considering the Revo 4k. The only thing it doesnt have that you were talking about is the self centering mounts. But why would i want to pay double the machine for self centering mounts when i won't be stringing a lot of rackets. It's a quite minute set up and not worth it. Revo 4k comes in 3 tooth, spring assisted and is a very rough machine :P That's why ive been reseaching so much so that i purchase a machine that i don't regret. Then again, think about the price you'd have to pay for self centering mounts, adn if the cone lock is not a big deal, then don't worry about it. For those comlpainging it is a big deal :P

Really important to me was to have an upright. I don't want a make-shift stand or a utility cart, which ruled out the Revo for me.

That's a feature I didn't want to compromise on.

I paid $670 for the machine (which included shipping).

I ruled out Eagnas just based on feedback on these forums, but I'm second guessing that a little bit, honestly. Looks like that Combo 910 has just about everything I wanted (maybe it doesn't have SC mounts), but it's upright, with spring-assisted base clamps, and even has a disc break (the MP is a screw break, but does seem to hold perfectly well, even for O3 racquets).

But the Eagnas is cheaper.... perhaps I should not have ruled that particular model out just b/c it was Eagnas, since it seems to get mostly positive reviews.

Ah well, what can I do...

David123 04-24-2010 12:45 PM

You'd feel remorse for basically any stringing machine thats not the babolat star 5 or a stringing machine thats $1000+ if it really matters then raise your budget. Why does it have to be an upright? Revo is perfect in my opininon. Has everything you want except non SC mounts but still mounting should not take more than a minute.

Lakers4Life 04-24-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstchur (Post 4591057)
What does switch action mean? Why do I want it over Cone Lock?

Switch action doesn't use a bolt with T-nut?

Switch action is a lever that you "switch" to lock and unlock. Very common on high end machines. Somthing like this:

or this:

Cone locks are like this:

Switch action sort uses a T-Nut to hold hold it down, but it's preset.

sstchur 04-24-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David123 (Post 4591289)
You'd feel remorse for basically any stringing machine thats not the babolat star 5 or a stringing machine thats $1000+ if it really matters then raise your budget. Why does it have to be an upright? Revo is perfect in my opininon. Has everything you want except non SC mounts but still mounting should not take more than a minute.

Because I like to stand and watch TV while my wife knits. I don't want a utility cart or anything cumbersome that gets in the way, and I like that the uprights have adjustable height.

David123 04-24-2010 01:25 PM

table lol???

sstchur 04-24-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David123 (Post 4591366)
table lol???

It's just personal preference and what I find to be convenient.

The same way you can't live without spring assisted clamps. While that's a nice-to-have in my mind, I'm more or less fine with my cone lock clamps.

The lack of SC mounting annoys me more, but it sounds like it doesn't bother you.

We're just different in what criteria is important to us, which is fine -- to each his own.

mad dog1 04-24-2010 04:19 PM

imo, stand mount is the only way to go when stringing...

regarding your buyer's remorse...i've used both the cone lock & spring loaded base clamps...spring loaded is a little more convenient and saves a few secs/pull, but i would be fine w/ either honestly. at least you have fixed clamps. if you had flying clamps, you'd have serious buyer's remorse. your MP Titan is a fine machine & will serve you well for many, many years...my suggestion is just use if for a few years then sell it & upgrade to something better. u can practice perfecting your technique & consistency on a "inferior" machine. when you upgrade to a high end model, your string jobs will just be better. happy stringing. :)