Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Show Us Your Dresses! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=328149)

Cindysphinx 05-16-2010 12:20 PM

Show Us Your Dresses!

I'm so excited! I now own a tennis dress.

I got this little number here at TW for -- wait for it -- $15. It's a Yonex from the 2007 US Open series, and they just happened to have one in my size.

I wore it yesterday at practice because I've never worn a dress before. It felt OK, except for one thing. I got a whole lot more sunshine up my skirt when the wind blew than I am used to.

The other cool thing was that there were four guys playing on the court next to us. They were maybe 3.0s. As they were leaving, one of them asked me: "Are you an instructor?" Ha! Must have been the dress! :)

Anyway, I ordered pretty much every dress TW stocks that looked like it might look good on me, and I learned a few things.

First, dresses by Tail are very loose and not as fitted as I would like. They kind of hang straight down from the upper back to the butt and come off looking a bit boxy on me.

Second, I was very disappointed in a Reebok dress because the picture made it look like it had little mesh cut-outs on the back. In fact, they are rubbery appliques that made me look a bit reptilian:

I am still on the fence about this Yonex dress. It is very cute, but I wonder if it is a bit juvenile for someone who is my age:

[see next post for a pic of the blue dress]

Anyway, I think I may start moving toward dresses. They are very cute and fun, and there are no issues with weird-fitting skorts.

One gripe I have, however, is about the shelf bras. The blue Yonex, for instance, arrived with a shelf bra with cups, and the cups were all bent up. If someone came up with a dress with a removable shelf bra, I'd be a fan for life.

Cindysphinx 05-16-2010 12:23 PM

Here's the blue Yonnex:

Also, I tried this blue Nike, but it fit very tight in the abdomen and looked a bit too youthful:

crystal_clear 05-16-2010 12:39 PM

Nice~
One question, where to hold the ball?

Cindysphinx 05-16-2010 02:31 PM

You wear bike shorts underneath, and you jam the ball between thigh and bike shorts. Same as when you use a skort.

woodrow1029 05-16-2010 02:35 PM

Show us you WEARING the dresses! :-)

ClubHoUno 05-16-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 4660676)
Show us you WEARING the dresses!

I have no clue about tennis dresses - but on a woman with the right figure they sure do look very nice on the court :oops: .......... :-P

My GF uses dresses from Nike on occasion, and some of the guys at the club stare a bit too much for my taste, when she plays in them :twisted:

But I'm no better - I only wish there would be more women (not girls, but women) playing tennis in my club.

They are nice to look at, they create good atmosphere around the club - and if they wear nice tennis dresses - there is one more good reason to come to the tennis club more often to play.

As it is now, the courts are empty more often than not - tennis is not very popular among women (and to some extent neither among men) in my country at the moment :cry:

johnkidd 05-16-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 4660676)
Show us you WEARING the dresses! :-)

Second the motion

Cindysphinx 05-16-2010 05:03 PM

Hmmm. Men seem more interested in tennis dresses than women. Hmmmm. :)

decades 05-16-2010 05:03 PM

at least put them on?

Jonas 05-16-2010 05:44 PM

Cindy,
Pics or a get the heck out..... :)

Tina 05-16-2010 05:53 PM

Hey all,

Here is my dress.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/view...?pcode=AWSADID

crystal_clear 05-16-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 4660665)
You wear bike shorts underneath, and you jam the ball between thigh and bike shorts. Same as when you use a skort.

It is hard to jam the ball in place and sometime it just falls during play. I always wear a ball holder at my back.

I can't wear a dress. :(

J011yroger 05-16-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 4661083)
Hmmm. Men seem more interested in tennis dresses than women. Hmmmm. :)

Only if there is no food or beer.

I love mixed doubles, you get to hang around, BS, drink beer, and eat all kinds of great munchies, and sometimes play tennis.

I don't even have to be on the team, it is great just going to the practices and being the mascot.

J

ClubHoUno 05-16-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas (Post 4661186)
Cindy,
Pics or a get the heck out.....

Preferably upskirt pics, right :lol: :lol: ......... :twisted:

:oops:

Cindysphinx 05-17-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystal_clear (Post 4661368)
It is hard to jam the ball in place and sometime it just falls during play. I always wear a ball holder at my back.

I can't wear a dress. :(

Regarding wearing a dress, have you tried? I was surprised to see the variety in how various styles and manufacturers' dresses fit.

Regarding jamming the ball in place, I guess that could be a problem if you have very thin thighs. More likely the problem is with skorts, which IMHO often have miserable compression shorts.

I do very well with the Bolle compression shorts they sell here at TW for $18. They last a long time, don't ride up, and I can put 3-4 balls under on one leg during practice sessions. It's not a good look, but they do stay up there.

Tina, that dress is really cute. What is the fit like (which is a gentle way of my asking "What shape are you?")? :)

Cindysphinx 05-17-2010 06:18 AM

I have this one coming tomorrow:

And I ordered this, which is on sale. It's a Yonnex and those fit me really well, so I have high hopes:

And I am trying something from DUC for the first time:

JoelDali 05-17-2010 06:19 AM

Who is the evil party poopee that always gives Cindy 1 star?

Such a hateful world!

:(

crystal_clear 05-17-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 4662285)
I have this one coming tomorrow:

[/img]

I like this one, simple and practical.
I tried to jam balls in the skort and it didn't work well (I might need to practice more as I don't have thin thigh problems. However, I don't think it looks good with bumps on the thighs. That thought prevent me from trying though I do love dresses.). So I don't dare to try dresses. Do dresses come without compression usually?

Cindysphinx 05-17-2010 07:25 AM

No, you definitely have to buy separate compression skorts. They do come with those useless shelf bras.

Any bike short will work, so if you have one already you're good to go. The biggest challenge is finding one that doesn't ride up. I bought an Under Armour pair once and it felt like I was wearing an oversize thong. Yeouch.

And no, it doesn't look good with the bumps on the thigh, but I am hoping my startling natural beauty will distract my many admirers. :)

Seriously, I had always avoided dresses in part because of cost. Any dress with "Sharapova" in the name is over $100, and TW is selling one dress for a whopping $134. Well, most of the dresses I am trying run $50-$70. Since a skort can easily be $50, dresses are reasonably economical.

Cindysphinx 05-17-2010 07:28 AM

Here's the dress they have for $136. It's beautiful, but way over the top for the circles in which I run -- mostly public parks and county facilities. It would be the tennis equivalent of wearing a ball gown to go to the supermarket.