Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   can I call a let? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=328151)

Figjam 05-16-2010 12:25 PM

can I call a let?

so this happened ot me again and I wanted to call a let....
Guy hit a shot.... looked like it was going long... I was thinking "maybe".... he yells out "NOOOOO!" so I think "ok its going out"

ball Drops on the line I react to hit it at the last second and hit it right to him and he puts it away...

Again this has happened before, where a guy hits a bad shot and yells out(regardless of the ball going in or out) and it throws me off.. I wanted to call a let. but didnt since I didnt know if I could.

blakesq 05-16-2010 12:31 PM

according to the rules no let. what you can do, is call a hindrance immediately upon your opponent yelling "noooo", and claim the point. YOur opponent is not supposed to yell or talk in a way that will distract you, especially when the ball is travelling to your side of the court. However, you can't hit the ball back, and then he hits a winner, and then you call a hinder. YOu have to call a hinder immediately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figjam (Post 4660179)
Guy hit a shot.... looked like it was going long... I was thinking "maybe".... he yells out "NOOOOO!" so I think "ok its going out"

ball Drops on the line I react to hit it at the last second and hit it right to him and he puts it away...

Again this has happened before, where a guy hits a bad shot and yells out(regardless of the ball going in or out) and it throws me off.. I wanted to call a let. but didnt since I didnt know if I could.

West Coast Ace 05-16-2010 01:09 PM

^^^ You nailed it.

Figjam 05-16-2010 01:40 PM

but its all taking place pretty quickly, my mind is focused on getting the ball(or watching if its going in or out), hard to stop an call hindernace, ( a rare call im not used to calling)

Im sure if the ball stays in and I call a hinderance(and claim the point) the guy would be kinda ****ed. I mean its like calling a serve in or out, have to call it pretty quick, but is hard to think..."is that....? can I call it.....?" too late!

blakesq 05-16-2010 01:53 PM

Lets are also supposed to be called immediately. You cannot wait till the point is over to call for a let or hindrance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figjam (Post 4660482)
but its all taking place pretty quickly, my mind is focused on getting the ball(or watching if its going in or out), hard to stop an call hindernace, ( a rare call im not used to calling)

Im sure if the ball stays in and I call a hinderance(and claim the point) the guy would be kinda ****ed. I mean its like calling a serve in or out, have to call it pretty quick, but is hard to think..."is that....? can I call it.....?" too late!

West Coast Ace 05-16-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

...hard to stop an call hindernace, ( a rare call im not used to calling)

You don't have to come to a complete stop and look like a statue. Today Fed still called a ball out and 'stopped' playing - even though he still swung at the ball. As long as it's obvious you're not going 100% you're fine.

Quote:

Im sure if the ball stays in and I call a hinderance(and claim the point) the guy would be kinda ****ed.

I hope he's a fast learner. His position would be indefensible... He has plenty of time between points! if he wants to berate himself.

Cindysphinx 05-16-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

There is another option.

You can stop, call a hindrance, but rather than claim the point you can offer your opponent a let. Most people realize they aren't supposed to talk while you're hitting and will be happy if you cut them a break.

Me, I prefer to just play the ball regardless of what utterances I hear from the other side. Only if someone deliberately tried to distract me would I claim the point.

Geezer Guy 05-16-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figjam (Post 4660179)

Yeah - that bugs the hell out of me when that happens. I try to play through it, but it's annoying and distracting. If someone does it a lot I'll ask them to please not talk during the point - but I've never actually stopped play and claimed the point.

And, to be honest I've been the one to yell NOOOO a couple of times and then have the ball drop in. I've apologized and offered them the point but no one has taken me up on it yet.

Figjam 05-16-2010 09:32 PM

well I guess I hate the fact that it influenced my decision making, I mean if I thought it was going out, ok, but when he yelled out then I said "ok it must be going out" where as normally I'd wait and see.