Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Federer news (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=328395)

babbette 05-17-2010 03:58 PM

Federer news

Maybe people can use this thread like we use the nadal news thread? (if they wish:-|)

Anyway I didn't know where to post this video. It's a video that includes some of Rafa's pre-match rituals, and pre-final interviews with both Rafa and Roger in the tunnel.

But....what the heck is under Roger's nose? Did he not wipe his nose properly?:shock: beginning at 3:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bidlsRqhLbA

babbette 05-20-2010 02:58 AM

I think these are new

dropshot winner 05-20-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babbette (Post 4670277)

Federer:
I'll let you win the US Open for once if you tire out Nadal in Paris like you did last year in Madrid.

Djokovic:
Done deal.

sh@de 05-20-2010 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropshot winner (Post 4670283)
Federer:
I'll let you win the US Open for once if you tire out Nadal in Paris like you did last year in Madrid.

Djokovic:
Done deal.

HAHAHAHAH :)

You made my day.

bezs 05-20-2010 05:37 AM

Is that a paintjob of the Vapour VI or the LL Vapours that Fed is wearing, looks nice on court.

babbette 05-20-2010 07:30 AM

erase this thread then mods. Because i'm a rafa fan fedfans will just bash my attempts to do good things in this thread.:(

Breaker 05-20-2010 07:32 AM

Fed should get tips from someone who actually knows how to hit a proper one handed backhand.

babbette 05-20-2010 07:44 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/21/sp...ht-TENNIS.html

Quote:

Federer Revisits His Unique Paris Slide Show
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY

PARIS — Very nearly one year later, with a bottle of sparkling water in front of him and the full weight of Roland Garros no longer on his back, Roger Federer was in the same hotel in central Paris, the memories of his first French Open victory now “a slide show” in his head.

“I see pictures going by,” he said Tuesday night. “The picture of me on the knees, disbelief that I won the French right after the serve, the first moment when I kind of dropped the racket right next to me. Everything is so different from the winning pictures at other tournaments on hard courts or grass. The orange of the clay is very vibrant, very vivid.”

Should it be surprising that the first slides in Federer’s private show do not include the gray skies and intermittent drizzle that were also part of that Sunday? Capturing the only Grand Slam singles title he lacked was one of the shining moments, perhaps the shining moment, of a career in which Federer has crunched numbers that no male tennis player may crunch again.

Former champion Andre Agassi handed Federer the Coupe des Mousquetaires and told him it was destiny. Federer, a frustrated finalist on three previous occasions in Paris, was inclined to agree and celebrated by partying until early morning and then sleeping with the cup on his bedside table.

But what do you do after destiny?

The answer is defend your title, beginning this Sunday, and defend it as an underdog, considering that Federer’s friendly arch-rival Rafael Nadal has resumed playing like a clay-court heavyweight after leaving the door ajar for Federer in Paris last year with his shock loss to Robin Soderling in the fourth round.

“It feels great to have won the French,” Federer said. “But then at the same time, there’s pressure again, having to prove yourself. Can you defend the title for the first time? It’s something I know is very hard to do especially with Rafa playing so well, the uncertainty of the draws. And I know how hard it was last year to win.”

Winning has been hard of late for Federer in general. He holds three of the four Grand Slam singles titles and he opened this season by winning the Australian Open in style. But a lung infection struck his young twin daughters and then his wife Mirka, who spent three days in the hospital. Finally, it hit Federer, too, and kept him off the practice court for more than a month and away from the tour for six weeks.

“The lung infection was something that definitely threw me back like the mono did throw me back a little,” Federer said, referring to the mononucleosis that he contracted in late 2007 and carried into 2008. “You just kind of feel that you have to play catch-up.”

Federer said he has been healthy since his return in March, but he has not won any of the five tournaments he has played. He does appear to be working his way into more familiar form and came close to the trophy in Madrid last week, where he was beaten in two tight sets by Nadal.

It was their first match in a year, and though Federer now finds himself trailing Nadal 7-14 in their series, he said he also found himself smiling to himself during the match at times as he reacquainted himself with Nadal’s game and patterns.

I was thinking, ‘Oh yeah, that’s right. Now I remember his forehand inside out or now I remember his backhand cross-court on the back foot,”’ Federer said.

And because he won last year without beating Nadal, the media chatter is that to win again while beating the Spaniard would provide the ultimate validation.

“I mean, it would be great, but it’s not something I feel my career necessarily needs,” Federer said. “Some might think that’s what form it should take, but then again I’ve never played Rafa in six U.S. Open finals. It happens as it happens, the draws, you can’t just make them up.”

Sentinel 05-20-2010 08:29 AM

Thanks for the thread, babbette.

That pic is absolutely DISGUSTING, Drakulie, I've just had a big dinner :-D

babbette 05-20-2010 11:50 AM

practice vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0wnY...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyEOk...layer_embedded

babbette 05-20-2010 12:00 PM

I can't look at it right now but apparently Roger is included in world cup ad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...orld-cup-tv-ad

bezs 05-20-2010 12:21 PM

Haha he's playing table tennis with Wayne Rooney. At 1:40 in the ad.

Homer Simpson is in it as well. :lol:

dropshot winner 05-20-2010 12:37 PM

Rooney destroys Federer at table tennis and Ronaldo looks like a d0uche even as a Simposn character.

sdont 05-20-2010 01:45 PM

Fed working on his Nadal impersonation. :lol:
Fed practices with Ljubicic in RG

zasr4325 05-20-2010 02:01 PM

hey, if you guys have any more of those vids, i made a thread about it on pros R&G:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=328858

muzza123 05-20-2010 02:02 PM

Rogi loves to mess around at practice

probably shows he's reached that stage of his career where he can focus a bit more on "having fun" with tennis.

great thread btw! keep it up!

Sartorius 05-20-2010 02:13 PM

Haha, nice vids. He seems to be in such a light mood..

Quote:

Originally Posted by babbette (Post 4671418)

Is he doing a certain imitation at ~0:23 I wonder... :D

LameTennisPlayer 05-20-2010 02:33 PM

there is a big difference between not wiping your nose properly vs not wiping your a** properly.....lol

LameTennisPlayer 05-20-2010 03:07 PM

dont shoot me for this one, but i may as well post this pic i found on the epic fail thread a few months back...

babbette 05-21-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

http://************.wordpress.com/20...pnputt-thanks/

90 Minutes with Roger Federer

From Credit Suisse’s E-Magazine
May 19, 2010

An Interview in Three Parts
Daniel Huber
Head, Publications

In February 2010, Credit Suisse was given the opportunity to accompany Roger Federer on a visit to a school project in Ethiopia that was supported by his foundation. The following interview took place on the following day in the lobby of the high-rise apartment building in Dubai Marina, where Roger, as he introduced himself the day before, has a second home. As the interview lasted around one-and-a-half hours, we have divided it into three sections.

Interview with Roger Federer, Part I: Mental Strength
Interview with Roger Federer, Part II: Private Life
Interview with Roger Federer, Part III: Role Models

Daniel Huber: I somehow imagined that you would have a villa on one of the elevated palm islands here in Dubai, like Michael Schumacher.

Roger Federer: In terms of maintenance, apartments are much more practical, especially when, like us, you’re hardly ever home. We live in an apartment in Switzerland too.

So where do you go to train in the middle of all these high-rises?
Just around the corner in a hotel with a tennis court and fitness center. The training conditions there are ideal.

How freely can you move around here in Dubai?
We actually lead quite a normal life here, going for walks on the beach, shopping in the malls and eating out in the restaurants. Sure people recognize us and every now and then someone will ask for an autograph. But I can still pretty much do everything I want to.

After hundreds of interviews, is there one question that you would prefer not to hear again and certainly never want to answer?
Not really. I am still quite well motivated when it comes to interviews and I am always happy to meet new interviewers.

With around ten hours of tennis lessons under my belt, I never got beyond beginner level. But one thing I do know is that I probably wouldn’t be able to return a single one of your shots.
Tennis is a difficult sport, and coordination is particularly challenging. In any case, it is not the kind of sport where you would be able to play a little after taking a two-day course. It would take much more than that. The later you start, the lower the level you will be able to reach.
So when is the ideal time to start learning to play tennis?
At the age of ten at the latest; earlier would be better. At that age, learning the basic coordination skills and how to move with the ball is still very easy.

I know a publican in St. Gallen who was considered a major tennis talent in his younger years and actually has a positive record against you. Apparently, when he was 18 years old he beat a 14-year-old Roger Federer. At what age did you run out of opponents in Switzerland?
I suppose I made my greatest progress, both physically and technically, between the ages of 14 and 16 when I went to the Swiss National Tennis Center in Ecublens. At 16 I was already in the Swiss top 10 and at that time there were few who could beat me. In that respect, 14 was still a good age for people to beat me as a relatively unknown player.

Yet nobody in Switzerland was beating Martina Hingis by the time she was 14.
No, definitely not, but then girls physically mature earlier than boys. My serve didn’t become sufficiently powerful until I was 15 or 16.
Where do you get the mental strength to win those all-important points in the decisive moments of a tennis match?
You just have to keep things as simple as possible in your head. You say to yourself, I’m going to give 100 percent for every point, and just try to play well at that moment. At very important times, you then try to consciously use your strengths to exploit the weaknesses of your opponent. Of course, this isn’t always that easy to do in practice, especially as your opponent is trying to do the same, but you have to have a clear goal for yourself in your mind’s eye and make every effort not to let your opponent control your play. Of course, in tennis you constantly have to adapt your game. At the end of the day, it is a reaction sport. There is only one shot that you have complete control over, and that is the serve. All other shots require you to react, but there should ideally be a plan behind the reaction.
Aside from the speed aspect, on a mental level, tennis seems to have a lot in common with chess. But in chess, the player plans a number of moves in advance. How does this work in tennis?
In tennis, you can plan perhaps one-and-a-half shots in advance. I serve the ball to a particular point, a point where I know the ball will generally be returned in a particular way, and then I have a number of options. If you plan too far in advance, you inevitably start to get surprised, and that’s a bad thing.
How closely do you observe your opponent on the court during the match?
Hardly at all. Now and then people say to me after a game: Did you see what the other guy did? I’m not aware of that sort of thing at all. I immediately turn away after each point. I’m just not interested in what my opponent is doing or how he might be feeling. I prefer to concentrate on myself. Of course, if I see that my opponent is injured during a match, I’ll check it out once or twice. But something like that shouldn’t change your game, because if it then turns out to be nothing at all, you will be surprised again.