Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   "Hitting" etiquette and purpose, was this guy a jackass or not? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=329715)

Klaus 05-25-2010 09:45 AM

"Hitting" etiquette and purpose, was this guy a jackass or not?

I was asked to "hit" with a new person on my non-USTA league list. I described my USTA level and abilities (high 3.5, low 4.0), and he said it was a good match, so "let's hit."

I met him and we warmed-up and started hitting. He was quite good, and admitted that he played in "Open" in his league, which follows a letter rating system. (I had played with a "B" player from that league previously who was a HUGE challenge for me.)

The hitting session consisted of me hitting to him, and then getting smashed with a deep cross-court winner that I could barely get to. At a break, he said" "you are giving me nothing; just hitting the ball back to me is no challenge."

I said I was trying to rally, and that after a few hits, either one of us could look for an opportunity to put one away. He said "what's the point?" and continued to smash balls away after one hit, into the corner. If he did the first feed, then the ball lasted three hits, as he would put it away it on his second hit.

I tried to do the same, and got him a few times on the second hit, putting it away past him, or lobbing him after pulling him in, and he just got frustrated losing "points" from someone whom he had already deemed beneath him. Needless to say we won't be hitting together again. What is it with people for chrissakes? Any thoughts?

tennis tom 05-25-2010 09:52 AM

Complete Jackass

GZim 05-25-2010 09:57 AM

He definately has issues. Was he a youngster?

At least he should have hit for 15-20 minutes keeping the ball in play before saying something like, do you want to play some points? etc?

Gary

vandre 05-25-2010 09:57 AM

the guy should've just gotten a ball machine if he wanted to just put the ball away.

RogerRacket111 05-25-2010 10:00 AM

That is so annoying. People don't know the point of hitting or practice. You have to start really slow and then ramp it up. I just hate playing these kind of players. They are a waste of your time.

I always try to do the start slow and work your way up. Its build so much rhythm and timing. I also find lower level players when they try to play they do this often. I think they think that will impress the better players.

Larrysümmers 05-25-2010 10:02 AM

I think it is one of those ego things. Like a friend and I will just hit cross court just rallying. Then out of nowhere he'll rip it down the line or dropshot.

Its ok, I get him back when we play matches :twisted:

tennis tom 05-25-2010 10:06 AM

He's practicing to win his warm-ups. I've only lost one warm-up myself, maybe it was to this guy, what area are you in?

MomentumGT 05-25-2010 10:06 AM

Hitting winners during a warm up or just rallying is a true sign of a hacker. I do it during League when we're warming up with our opponents, but that's after I've fully warmed up with my team. I don't do it very often, unless I'm playing a guy who I "assume" to be a jerk. LOL.

-Jon

Pioneer 05-25-2010 10:19 AM

It's kind of funny when someone is trying to "score" while you are rallying, especially if he's trying short balls, lobs, and other stuff that either finishes the rally or you are forced to finish it

West Coast Ace 05-25-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 4686530)
Complete Jackass

What you said with some 'male inadequacy issues' thrown in.

sureshs 05-25-2010 11:44 AM

I would love the opportunity to hit with someone better than me for free.

brad1730 05-25-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc4.0 (Post 4687064)
I don't usually pay to hit with better players, but sometimes I play with players who could certainly hit me off the court and win every single point if they wanted, they're that good. Normally they'll take something off their shots so we can at least have a good hit - and even give me some great pointers along the way. That's just being a good sport.

Exactly, and what's the point of hitting a winner off of a fed ball. Anybody can do it. Complete jerk.

RogerRacket111 05-25-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 4686920)
I would love the opportunity to hit with someone better than me for free.

If someone plays in that manner I wouldn't say they are better players. I have watched pro's practice. They always start slow and then ramp up. They don't start hitting winner on the first shot.

dcdoorknob 05-25-2010 12:58 PM

If you really got frustrated off of him hitting winners off your feeds, I think it would be hilarious if you just walked up to the net and started smashing your 'feeds' way over his head and maybe over the fence. "Let's see you hit winners off of these!!!"

Also throw in some quick-feed dropshots while he's still reacting to your last smash.

10ACE 05-25-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 4686588)
He's practicing to win his warm-ups. I've only lost one warm-up myself, maybe it was to this guy, what area are you in?

haha-- that was good

I could understand if this guy wanted to run and really drill- but if he truly was hitting balls for straight out winners then that's no fun.

beernutz 05-25-2010 01:07 PM

What a huckleberry. Or is it dingleberry? Either way, you are to be commended for not walking off the court or clobbering him or both.

I am curious when you say you were asked to hit. Did he ask you to hit with him and then behave this way? If so, that is even more rude and inexcusable, imo.

JRstriker12 05-25-2010 01:13 PM

Dude sounds like a jerk.

If he wanted to "win points" he should have asked you to play points or a match situation type drill like 21 or pong.

To me, it seems like the unwritten rule of hitting is that you keep the ball in play, but if someone hits short or gives up a weak shot then that shot is in play for you to practice your put-away.

Cindysphinx 05-25-2010 01:37 PM

I know people like that.

In the case I'm thinking of, the player honestly believes it is bad to hit the ball *to* the other player. The thinking is that this will train your brain to hit the ball to the other player in a match.

This means they consider it a waste of time to hit the ball anywhere you can reach it, ever. Good luck constructing a mutually beneficial drill with this player. Good luck trying to groove your technique and work on consistency.