Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pro Swing Weight? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=330438)

sammyboy 05-29-2010 09:31 AM

Pro Swing Weight?

So the rule of thumb is use as high as a SW as you possibly can. So most pro's use very high sw in teh like 370 or so...but which pro's use very low swingweights like 325ish...

Mr_Shiver 05-29-2010 05:26 PM

Doesn't Tabasco use a stick with a low SW?

seacard 05-30-2010 08:08 AM

I'm guessing many, if not most, women players have a fairly low swingweight, especially those using <11oz sticks. Of course, that is part of the reason they would get destroyed by most players on these boards.

pyrokid 05-31-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard (Post 4704449)
I'm guessing many, if not most, women players have a fairly low swingweight, especially those using <11oz sticks. Of course, that is part of the reason they would get destroyed by most players on these boards.

I laughed, even though I do use a high swingweight and you just took a potshot at my religion.

seacard 05-31-2010 09:21 AM

Eh, it was sort of a joke at my own expense as well. It's just funny how many people here care about Federer's, Nadal's, and Murray's racquet, but nobody ever asks "what does Carolina Zeballos or Peangthan Pliphuech" use, even though those women players, ranked at #991 in the world, probably play a much more similar game (albeit much better) to the members of this board than anybody on the ATP tour.

(p.s.: I have no idea who those two are, have never seen them play, and for all I know they use a leaded up KPS88 or BLX90).

Larrysümmers 05-31-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid (Post 4708910)
I laughed, even though I do use a high swingweight and you just took a potshot at my religion.

holy crap! Do you really have a SW of 385? You are going to be the next Jo11y if you keep it up.

crosscourt 05-31-2010 01:08 PM

The women tend to use lighter rackets but still keep the swingweights relatvely high. So mid-350s are not uncommon.

cc

Pioneer 07-01-2010 01:46 AM

the idea that pros use very high swingweights that is haunting this forum is ridiculous. There's already enough info about pro specs on jura's list, greg raven's website, etc. Some players do use very high swingweights (Soderling, Murray) but this has definitely hindered their all-court game (when was the last time you saw murray volley?)

What's funny is that Federer, Nadal and Safin can win 25 grand slams in 10 years with sub-350 SWs but people on these forums need SWs in the 400s to feel that their serves are effective and they don't lack "stability".

baseline_monster 07-01-2010 02:04 AM

I bet you 80% of pro players have no idea about swing weights. They pick a weight and balance that is right, they do not go, umm, nice racket but I was a swing weight of 387 or nothing

jedi clampett 07-01-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer (Post 4824279)
the idea that pros use very high swingweights that is haunting this forum is ridiculous. There's already enough info about pro specs on jura's list, greg raven's website, etc. Some players do use very high swingweights (Soderling, Murray) but this has definitely hindered their all-court game (when was the last time you saw murray volley?)

What's funny is that Federer, Nadal and Safin can win 25 grand slams in 10 years with sub-350 SWs but people on these forums need SWs in the 400s to feel that their serves are effective and they don't lack "stability".

Agreed... definately a 'go heavier' mentality here.

Pioneer 07-03-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseline_monster (Post 4824291)
I bet you 80% of pro players have no idea about swing weights. They pick a weight and balance that is right, they do not go, umm, nice racket but I was a swing weight of 387 or nothing

I agree. In addition, you can't like receive 100000 sticks from Babolat and tell you stringer "I want all of these to have SWs of 359.62 kgxcm2", I bet the SW on their sticks varies a good 5-10 pts at least

pyrokid 07-03-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larrysümmers (Post 4709669)
holy crap! Do you really have a SW of 385? You are going to be the next Jo11y if you keep it up.

Nope, not anymore, I toned it down some.
No idea what it is now, but it's significantly lighter (330-350?) and all around my game is much better.
There are times when I miss the weight, but the vast majority of my shots are better without it.

Pioneer 07-04-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid (Post 4835287)
Nope, not anymore, I toned it down some.
No idea what it is now, but it's significantly lighter (330-350?) and all around my game is much better.
There are times when I miss the weight, but the vast majority of my shots are better without it.

There was a time when I bought the SW2 BS and I was up there at about 380. It's good but definitely hinders my all-round game, especially the volleys and I'd be out of strength in 1 hour. Then I dropped the SW to about 350 and it's much better now, I can really move around the court easier and can keep going for 3-4 hours before getting very tired.

Povl Carstensen 07-04-2010 08:27 AM

From the way he hits, it seems Berdych has a pretty high swingweight, does anyone know?

Pioneer 07-05-2010 05:35 AM

Yeah Berdych's shots seem pretty Soderlingy to me. I wonder why TT never got to the Roddick and Hewitt specs, or Murray's new specs

pyrokid 07-05-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer (Post 4835650)
There was a time when I bought the SW2 BS and I was up there at about 380. It's good but definitely hinders my all-round game, especially the volleys and I'd be out of strength in 1 hour. Then I dropped the SW to about 350 and it's much better now, I can really move around the court easier and can keep going for 3-4 hours before getting very tired.

Lugging it around was never a problem, it was making the tiny adjustments with my wrist so I could hit the sweet spot dead on. It was too heavy to do that quickly so I didn't hit the sweetspot nearly as much as I do now, and my defense is so much better.

Honestly, if there's someone out there who's big enough to actually play better with a stick like that, they would probably be pretty crazy.

Pioneer 07-06-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid (Post 4841223)
Lugging it around was never a problem, it was making the tiny adjustments with my wrist so I could hit the sweet spot dead on. It was too heavy to do that quickly so I didn't hit the sweetspot nearly as much as I do now, and my defense is so much better.

Honestly, if there's someone out there who's big enough to actually play better with a stick like that, they would probably be pretty crazy.

Safin's about as strong as it gets and he carries around a 347-swingweight stick

Matt H. 07-06-2010 08:01 AM

I would agree on some level that a pro has a higher SW than the typical rec player.

however, like everything in life there comes a point of diminishing return. Groundstrokes and serves are flying around a good 20-25mph higher than normal players, so timing is needed too.

baseline_monster 07-06-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt H. (Post 4843874)
I would agree on some level that a pro has a higher SW than the typical rec player.

however, like everything in life there comes a point of diminishing return. Groundstrokes and serves are flying around a good 20-25mph higher than normal players, so timing is needed too.

So true, there gear reflects the level they play at. Just like a lot of golf players using blade irons instead of cavity backed, like top level skiers using shorter skies etc. If you can bring the professional standard swing, weight, power and fitness then you will get the best out of those real heavy rackets with that SW, if you dont have that, your just hearting yourself.

Pioneer 07-08-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseline_monster (Post 4844255)
So true, there gear reflects the level they play at. Just like a lot of golf players using blade irons instead of cavity backed, like top level skiers using shorter skies etc. If you can bring the professional standard swing, weight, power and fitness then you will get the best out of those real heavy rackets with that SW, if you dont have that, your just hearting yourself.

Their gear isn't that demanding at all really. the question is finding the right balance of heaviness, manueverability, stability, etc.