Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   first singles tournament experience (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=333063)

clintontiger 06-12-2010 01:55 PM

first singles tournament experience

I played in my first 3.0 singles tournament this weekend and just wanted to share some thoughts. I have posted serve and forehand videos on here and anybody that has seen them can see that I'm severly overweight. I have been playing about a year and have decided to use tennis as a tool to try and lose the weight.

1) first match lost 1-6, 5-7. I was really nervous and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and might as well just tapped the serve because of the nerves. That being said I still had a chance to force a 3rd set tiebreaker, I was serving 5-4 in the second set and just couldn't get it done. The guy that I was playing will probably win the 3.0 draw.

2) sandbagging is clearly evident, even in my little match experience. The guy I was playing was a 3.0 self rate and it showed. He had 3.5 to low 4.0 groundstrokes and volleys, but his serve was weak and that is where I tried to attack. When I went back to the host site I was sitting around watching him play 3.0 doubles which he was playing in as well. While I was sitting there there were some people commenting on how good he plays and some of the members of the same club as him stated yeah Jimbob (fake name,lol) has slipped through the cracks for a couple of years. I was thinking that would be a mild understatement. I looked up his league results and I don't see how he hasn't been dq'd and moved up. His doubles matches were all wins at 0-0, or 1-1, etc. don't get me wrong I don't mind losing but give me a fighting chance.

3) fmlc was 4-6, 3-3 and then I had to retire. The thermometer on the court was reading 125 degrees and I started becoming lightheaded and was having cold chills and at 300 pds that isn't a good thing. Even though I was right in the match I decided my family and my health were a little more important that a 3.0 singles draw. It was very upsetting to me because I have never been a quiter and was really starting to play well and believe I could have pulled out the match.

4) I finally realized that my severe weight issues really cost me these two matches and that if I want to really improve and move up the ladder I have to get my conditioning and diet in order. Playing at this weight in the middle of the summer is a recipe for disaster. All in all I still enjoyed the time there.

Chris

mikeler 06-12-2010 02:13 PM

Good call quitting. Heat stroke is serious business.

Geezer Guy 06-12-2010 06:37 PM

You cramed a lot of experience into your first tournament. Sorry it didn't work out better for you, but those are things you'll have to face in a lot of future tournaments. If you work hard, a year or so down the road the guys will complain about YOU being the sandbagger.

ti286 06-13-2010 04:53 PM

You did the right thing defaulting. Nothing unsportsmanlike about it. When you have a job and a family, it's not worth losing your health over a tennis match.

813wilson 06-13-2010 06:12 PM

Chris,

Seems to me that you were more in the 1st match than you've acknowledged. In that, you had the second set on your racquet and didn't close. As you pointed out - nerves.
So, if you're "hanging" w/ a 3.5 to 4 take the positive from it. Good for you trying. Good for you to be motivated to lose the weight. Good for you for stopping in the consolation. Be sure to mix in additonal cardio to keep the weight falling.

I don't have the same issue as you but, when I'm playing / practicing or with a team mate, often we will run a couple of "suicides" at the end of the play and or mix in a few sit up/core items.
I'm not recommending much, especially given the heat, but I really feel a "workout" if I finish a good tennis session with some extra effort....

$.02

J011yroger 06-13-2010 07:18 PM

Dude, you played, and the experience will be one that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Congrats on firstly getting off your *** and playing which is a lot more than a lot of people do.

If this motivates you to lose some weight, and become healthier, then that is worth more than any entry fee.

Hope to hear of your exploits in the future.

When you have experiences like that, you learn something, and you become a better player after the match than you were before.

Awesome job.

J

Dreamcastin 06-13-2010 07:30 PM

hey nice job getting out there and playing. your not alone being overweight, when i started playing it was me 5'10 250 lbs and my buddy about 6'3 and well over 300 pounds. people are often suprised how well we move on the court.

autumn_leaf 06-13-2010 08:19 PM

gl on your next tourney, hope you don't end up like me lol. 3 rd year in a row i got knocked out of the men's c draw (3.0) first round =(. granted i play only one tourney a year. the tension from something being on the line really takes a toll on a person's game.

clintontiger 06-14-2010 08:13 AM

I appreciate everybodys responses to my post, they are uplifting to keep trying and fighting to make myself lose the weight and get better.

Chris

Limpinhitter 06-14-2010 09:42 AM

This is a typical experience. Many, if not most, players new to match play take 4-5 tournaments, and more, to settle down enough to play the game they are able to play in practice. Experience is everything.

And, BTW, I don't know how old you are, but, for the sake of your future, please take care of your weight. Tennis aside, metabolic syndrome (high BP, cholesterol and type 2 diabetes), is a slow devastating death sentence.

athiker 06-14-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 4763617)
Dude, you played, and the experience will be one that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Congrats on firstly getting off your *** and playing which is a lot more than a lot of people do.

If this motivates you to lose some weight, and become healthier, then that is worth more than any entry fee.

Hope to hear of your exploits in the future.

When you have experiences like that, you learn something, and you become a better player after the match than you were before.

Awesome job.

J

Ditto, and best of luck in the next tourney now that the first match jitters are behind you.

nickarnold2000 06-15-2010 07:22 AM

I think the secret to staying in shape is finding something you love to do and then knowing that you must keep yourself fit in order to play it well(or improve). Tennis, as a life sport, fits the bill perfectly because I still see guys in their 60s, 70s playing well.
So, OP, my hat's off to you and I wish you great success in the future! :)

pyrokid 06-15-2010 08:15 AM

good idea on the retire, but I'm really getting a bit worried with everyone saying that people who beat them are ALL sandbagging.
You held on, it was a competitive match after you got over the nerves. You gave him a run for his money, and as you said, you could have taken it to a tiebreak.
So it wounds like you guys were a fairly even match, the only difference being he had more match/tournament experience...
I mean, yeah, he might have had 4.0 groundies.
But it a 3.0 can still bring it to him, then clearly that isn't really the deciding factor in ratings.

Hey, there has to be guys at the top of every division, you put up a good fight and got good matchplay in.

clintontiger 06-15-2010 08:23 AM

pyrokid: I see your side of what you posted. The reason why I posted that about the first match was due to his unblemished league record and the fact that other club members were laughing about the fact that he has slipped through the cracks. That was all.

polski 06-15-2010 08:58 AM

Chris - I was at the tourney & saw the young buck you had in the first round. You are correct, he should not be playing 3.0. His only league loss all year was a tight doubles match at state. He will be bumped in December.

That being said, you took more games off him (6) than anyone else in the 3.0 draw (semi's was 2 & 1, finals 3 & 2). Kudos!

J_R_B 06-15-2010 09:01 AM

The key to losing weight is understanding your diet - counting your calories and setting reasonable targets that you can stick to. At your size, you should be able to eat over 2500 cals per day and still lose weight at a reasonable pace with a moderate amount of exercise. I've lost 60 lbs over the last 6 years (245 -> 185), and I can tell you, the one single thing that was most important was counting every calorie in order to understand exactly what was going in my body.

Remember, you can't outrun a poor diet and it's much easier to cut calories than burn them. Good luck.

undertakeress 06-15-2010 05:19 PM

Just wanted to say congrats on taking the first steps and for loving the game...

I have played since I was 3, went to college on a scholarship, and then gained a lot of weight due to depression, lost it, then gained 70 back over the past 6 months due to hormone shots I was on. I wasn't ever small when I played (5'7, 170 or so) but I had stamina and could move my feet.

I'm playing my first tourney in 14 years this weekend, and I'm actually excited. My strokes are still good (love my lefty backhand cross court!) but my toss on my serve is off. I am very competitive but I am going into this fearing the worst and hoping for the best.

Good luck!

clintontiger 06-15-2010 06:34 PM

undertakeress: good luck in your upcoming tournament, I know you will do well. Let us know how you do.

Chris

undertakeress 06-15-2010 06:37 PM

Trust me, it's work....I loved playing 14's when I was that age and freaked out when I had to move to 16's, and it took me a year to adjust.... Time is everything with tennis, from the muscle memory to learning better strokes. It will come for you!

J011yroger 06-16-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undertakeress (Post 4769321)
Just wanted to say congrats on taking the first steps and for loving the game...

I have played since I was 3, went to college on a scholarship, and then gained a lot of weight due to depression, lost it, then gained 70 back over the past 6 months due to hormone shots I was on. I wasn't ever small when I played (5'7, 170 or so) but I had stamina and could move my feet.

I'm playing my first tourney in 14 years this weekend, and I'm actually excited. My strokes are still good (love my lefty backhand cross court!) but my toss on my serve is off. I am very competitive but I am going into this fearing the worst and hoping for the best.

Good luck!

Good luck mate!

(Even if you are a damn lefty :))

J