Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can Nadal complete 16 slams or more? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=336678)

jackson vile 07-03-2010 09:30 AM

Can Nadal complete 16 slams or more?

If Nadal wins on sunday, he will be setting a very strong trend suggeting that he very well may be able to lock down at least 2 slams a year.

Nadal would only need to win 2 slams a year for 4 years to match Roger.

We have to consider that ;
1) Every time people say it is over for Rafa, he comes back better and badder.
2) Nadal still has room for improvement, very scary thought, and continues to do so
3) Consider Aggasi who played many years with severly F'ed up back, I believe that Nadal will play until he dies and that is the only force that can stop him
4) Nadal could skip all hard court games and play for a very long time on the natural surfaces where he dominates

muzza123 07-03-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackson vile (Post 4833446)

Doesn't sound like an "only" job, however you wish to word it!

Rippy 07-03-2010 09:35 AM

Those poll options are rather silly, aren't they? Should just be "yes" and "no".

The second poll option lumps people who just don't believe he'll be able to do it with those who claim his career is over every year, so will result in less people choosing it if they don't agree with both the statements it makes.

jackson vile 07-03-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rippy (Post 4833456)
Those poll options are rather silly, aren't they? Should just be "yes" and "no".

The second poll option lumps people who just don't believe he'll be able to do it with those who claim his career is over every year, so will result in less people choosing it if they don't agree with both the statements it makes.

Neither one is absolute, listen; things aren't absolute and this poll is well... rather polarizing.

meg0529 07-03-2010 09:49 AM

I really wish there were more options here. 16 or more, he'd have to be really luck to win, like all other players drop dead lucky. If Wimby and US happen this year :: fingers crossed:: then 11-12 are totally viable. With Rafa it's difficult to tell!

muzza123 07-03-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Furthermore, last I checked Roger is still active on the Tour, so whilst Nadal may continue to acquire Majors, so might Rodge.

Less of these type of threads please!

kanamit 07-03-2010 09:51 AM

Can we stop overhyping Nadal please? He'll retire the greatest clay courter ever, but he'll never even win a US open. He'll be one of the greats, no doubt, but break the grand slam record? Give me a break. It will require him to match his peak year for years and years more, when now he's having knee issues earlier despite having to play fewer and fewer tournaments.

jones101 07-03-2010 09:53 AM

I think 12 is deinitely viable, 16 is a LONG way off, but woth Rafa, like Fed, anything is possible.

muzza123 07-03-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamit (Post 4833497)
Can we stop overhyping Nadal please? He'll retire the greatest clay courter ever, but he'll never even win a US open. He'll be one of the greats, no doubt, but break the grand slam record? Give me a break. It will require him to match his peak year for years and years more, when now he's having knee issues earlier despite having to play fewer and fewer tournaments.

Well summarised.

And Roger hasn't retired yet FFS!!!

cucio 07-03-2010 09:57 AM

The real question is, can Gulbis?

samboy01 07-03-2010 10:04 AM

Federer is done.

Nadal will be in double digits very soon. After that, the sky is the limit! :)

I see him ending with:

3 AO
8 FO
4 WB
1 UO

That's 16 slams. Add the fact that he would have more master series than Federer, the gold medal AND a convincing head-to-head against him especially in grandslam finals. And there you have it: Nadal is GOAT :)

Federer fans, I know that Nadal is younger, fiercer and making a move, please don't stab him :(

Rippy 07-03-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackson vile (Post 4833472)
Neither one is absolute, listen; things aren't absolute and this poll is well... rather polarizing.

It still seems fairly silly to me to have a poll option that, in order to agree with it, you have to claim Nadal's career is over every year. That's obviously going to cause less people to choose that option.

Berundi 07-03-2010 10:11 AM

Who won the gold medal at the 1980 and 1984 Olympics?

miyagi 07-03-2010 10:23 AM

Poll options are immature, Nadal is my favourite player but I don't think he can get to 16 and even if he does I doubt Faderer will be retiring on 16.

I would happy with anything over 10 and extastic at any over 12!

akv89 07-03-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

If Nadal wins on sunday, he will be setting a very strong trend suggeting that he very well may be able to lock down at least 2 slams a year.

We have to consider that ;
1) Every time people say it is over for Rafa, he comes back better and badder.
2) Nadal still has room for improvement, very scary thought, and continues to do so
3) Consider Aggasi who played many years with severly F'ed up back, I believe that Nadal will play until he dies and that is the only force that can stop him
4) Nadal could skip all hard court games and play for a very long time on the natural surfaces where he dominates

And every time people say Rafa is back and better than ever, he gets injured/exhausted/loses form etc. Can we please put an end to this cycle?

pvaudio 07-03-2010 10:57 AM

The poll options are so asinine. Nadal will not get close to doubling his slam total. His body simply will not work long enough.

meg0529 07-03-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akv89 (Post 4833634)
And every time people say Rafa is back and better than ever, he gets injured/exhausted/loses form etc. Can we please put an end to this cycle?

Amen to that!

JustBob 07-03-2010 11:03 AM

When Federer was setting a strong trend, people were predicting 20-22 slams. Considering that Nadal is prone to injury and that the competition is getting tougher, I believe that 12 is a realistic number.

fundrazer 07-03-2010 11:05 AM

^^Yeah akv89 makes a good point. We don't know if Nadal is going to have any more injuries. It's not like his knees will magically remain healthy for the rest of his career.

Another thing, some people used to think Roger would get 20+ slams. Then 2008 happened and some thought he wouldn't win another slam. From USO 08 to now he has picked up 4 slams. Nobody knows for sure whats going to happen in the future. There might be a new wunderkind to challenge the top 10, maybe even Donald Young could enter the goat discussion...lol

drakulie 07-03-2010 11:07 AM

If nadal was healthy, he would already have won more than 20 slams. So yes, once he gets healthy, he will never lose again...... even after he dies.