Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Dubai Tennis Championships (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=337056)

Megi 07-05-2010 01:23 PM

Dubai Tennis Championships

I'm contemplating a trip to Dubai around the time of the 2011 Dubai Tennis Championships and though I'd ask whether anybody has been to the tourney and would like to share the experiences, tips, etc.

Thanks! :)

West Coast Ace 07-05-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megi (Post 4841561)
I'm contemplating a trip to Dubai around the time of the 2011 Dubai Tennis Championships and though I'd ask whether anybody has been to the tourney and would like to share the experiences, tips, etc.

Thanks! :)

I didn't go. I tried - and failed a few yrs ago. Here is the sad saga:

I emailed them months in advance - I believe it was Oct (tournament is in late Feb - I like to make arrangements early). They said 'internet tickets won't go on sale until some day in early Jan. So on the day in question I log in - still not for sale. Log in later in the day and they're on sale - but already only tickets for the 1st two days are available; the rest of the days were already sold out. I was hoping to buy a package for the whole week - NFW I'm flying that far for two days of early rounds. I email them. They admit most of the tickets only go on sale at the Box Office in Dubai.

I still want to go to the region - the last one on my bucket list. Thinking about Doha or the exo around New Years. Or I'll go to the Formula 1 race in Abu Dhabi.

Good luck. If you have better luck, please post!

Megi 07-06-2010 08:12 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. That doesn't sound too promising. I'll see how it goes and let you now if I have any luck getting the tickets.

West Coast Ace 12-21-2011 05:37 PM

Bump.

Still trying to go. Anyone ever go? Any advice how to get tickets?

gavna 12-24-2011 03:39 AM

I go about 6x per year for work and stay at the Hilton Jumeirah and last year had the hotel get me tickets. I am hhonors platinum but I sent an email and they called me about a month out and had excellent reserved seats for myself and friends. If you stay at any of the major hotels or resorts the conseierges will do must anything for you.
It's one of those events where connections mean everything (like pretty much anywhere in the middle east).

One HUGE piece of advice DO NOT RENT A CAR use a driver or taxis........no matter how temped and easy it is to drive in Dubai or Abu Dhabi getting into even a small fender bender is the biggest hassles to go througtorpor a non citizen/non resident.

West Coast Ace 12-24-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 6189592)
I go about 6x per year for work and stay at the Hilton Jumeirah and last year had the hotel get me tickets. I am hhonors platinum but I sent an email and they called me about a month out and had excellent reserved seats for myself and friends. If you stay at any of the major hotels or resorts the conseierges will do must anything for you.
It's one of those events where connections mean everything (like pretty much anywhere in the middle east).

One HUGE piece of advice DO NOT RENT A CAR use a driver or taxis........no matter how temped and easy it is to drive in Dubai or Abu Dhabi getting into even a small fender bender is the biggest hassles to go througtorpor a non citizen/non resident.

Thanks for the advice. Glad you got to go.

Since I'll be paying for my own hotel it won't be that high end, so I doubt they'll help me. From the description on their website they aren't going to change their ticket selling practices - there are plenty of other tournaments to go to. And Fed isn't playing...

And I don't drive in foreign countries, ever, for that very reason.

gavna 12-24-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 6189910)
Thanks for the advice. Glad you got to go.

Since I'll be paying for my own hotel it won't be that high end, so I doubt they'll help me. From the description on their website they aren't going to change their ticket selling practices - there are plenty of other tournaments to go to. And Fed isn't playing...

And I don't drive in foreign countries, ever, for that very reason.

All the major hotels will do most anything for guests - if you are a regular than you really can get ANYTHING no kidding.

Well I'm in Paris this week and London after Tuesday and I love driving here. But in the middle east - NEVER - about 3 yrs ago we had to drive and I was a passenger but my brother was driving and we got hit sitting at a stop sign. WE got ticketed and fined - in the end we were told WE should not have been at that stop sign and it was our fault the driver hit us????? Oh well.

West Coast Ace 12-24-2011 09:50 PM

You don't want to get in a wreck in China either - I saw some great ones in Shanghai last yr.

I don't doubt that you get help from concierges - but this was going to be a one time trip - I can't expect them to help me out.

Since it doesn't look like it's going to happen, I'll probably go to the F1 race in Abu Dhabi (no problem getting tickets to F1 events) and just take a day trip to see Dubai.

ollinger 12-25-2011 07:03 AM

^^ the Latin root of the word concierge means "slave"; it's their job to help you. I've always been able to get tickets for nearly anything through concierges, whether they know you or not.

West Coast Ace 12-25-2011 10:31 AM

^^^^^ You're that confident you'd fly from LA to Dubai? And I'm sure there's a secondary market, if you're willing to pay top dollar. Again, I'm not disputing gavna's success - but it's apples/oranges. He was in the area for business (read: on the boss's dime and staying at a top end hotel) and thought it would be nice to go see the tennis - and was successful. I'm planning a vacation, staying at a nice but not amazing hotel. And tennis is one of the primary goals.

West Coast Ace 01-15-2013 06:48 PM

Bump. Persistence pays. I'm there this year. Psyched.

@gavna will you be in town?