Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Federer must make the switch or he will descend even more (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=337527)

The Baseline 07-08-2010 06:30 AM

Federer must make the switch or he will descend even more
 
look i know youve heard enough of a federer racquet switch already but this time its serious. federer falling to number 3 is catastrophic at the least. federers game has really taken a hit because of a lack of power. what he needs to do to make up for it is to go to a wide beamed 95-98 frame. federer should do some testing with wilson and look at the BLX Pro Open. A 96 inch frame would work well for federer at this point in his career.

AM95 07-08-2010 07:34 AM

OP your false. he's been at the top with the same racket since 2003.

he needs to work on his movement, so that he's moving at least at the same level as he was in AO 2010, but more preferably the way he was moving in Cinci 09.

If Fed is actually suferring from injury, its quite understandable as to why he's being beaten by big hitters because they are moving him around instead of the other way around.

Breaker 07-08-2010 07:36 AM

Agreed, this clown might actually win a few slams if he went to a bigger frame. I don't know why no one has ever suggested this.

The Baseline 07-08-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breaker (Post 4850174)
Agreed, this clown might actually win a few slams if he went to a bigger frame. I don't know why no one has ever suggested this.

just look at the misses, the whiffs as of recent. federer needs a bigger headsize to inspire confidence. federer is bowing down to his traditional 90 sq inch frame. you see heres the new motto for federer

5 MORE SQUARE INCHES=5 MORE SLAMS

SilverRhythm 07-08-2010 08:04 AM

So when Nadal starts losing, should he use a 105sq inch racquet?

You guys just gotta accept that Fed will never be as dominant as he was before. It's just a natural progression.

baseline_monster 07-08-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Baseline (Post 4850224)
just look at the misses, the whiffs as of recent. federer needs a bigger headsize to inspire confidence. federer is bowing down to his traditional 90 sq inch frame. you see heres the new motto for federer

5 MORE SQUARE INCHES=5 MORE SLAMS

Hahahaha, so if he frames a ball with a 90, he will middle it on a 95? He is losing due to lack of movement, lack of confidence and maybe being tired, he has been on top since 04. If people spent longer on court hitting and less time thinking about this trash they would improve.

drakulie 07-08-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Baseline (Post 4850021)
look i know youve heard enough of a federer racquet switch already but this time its serious. federer falling to number 3 is catastrophic at the least. federers game has really taken a hit because of a lack of power. what he needs to do to make up for it is to go to a wide beamed 95-98 frame. federer should do some testing with wilson and look at the BLX Pro Open. A 96 inch frame would work well for federer at this point in his career.


I disagree. He should switch to a smaller head size (40 sq inches). This way, he will have to concentrate more.

skiracer55 07-08-2010 09:10 AM

There was another post...
 
...in Tennis Tips/Instruction where the OP said that Federer's forehand had technical faults, and he needed to change it. There's also the thought, running through this thread and others, that he's not moving as well as he used to.

All of the above could be true. However, even though he just got beaten in the quarters of two Slams (which was going to happen eventually), he still won the Australian, and I'd bet on him to win the USO this year.

So maybe there's nothing wrong with Roger that a well-deserved vacation won't fix. However...having said all that good stuff, as a ski racer and tennis player, if my game goes off, one initial tactic I'll try is, change the tool rather than the way I use the tool and see what happens. So, IMHO, I don't think it's as drastic as saying that Fed "has to" go to a bigger head size racket, but it might be interesting if he tried one or two, in practice. I'm pretty sure Wilson could come up with some demos...

Rabbit 07-08-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 4850357)
I disagree. He should switch to a smaller head size (40 sq inches). This way, he will have to concentrate more.

Smaller and more importantly heavier so he can "pierce the court"

BreakPoint 07-08-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Baseline (Post 4850224)
just look at the misses, the whiffs as of recent. federer needs a bigger headsize to inspire confidence. federer is bowing down to his traditional 90 sq inch frame. you see heres the new motto for federer

5 MORE SQUARE INCHES=5 MORE SLAMS

So why is that it 99% of the pros that use racquets bigger than 90 sq. in. have never won even a single Slam? :confused:

And if 5 more square inches = 5 more Slams, why wouldn't 50 more square inches = 50 more Slams? :)

lisp 07-08-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 4850809)
So why is that it 99% of the pros that use racquets bigger than 90 sq. in. have never won even a single Slam? :confused:

And if 5 more square inches = 5 more Slams, why wouldn't 50 more square inches = 50 more Slams? :)

Federer should soooo change to a Gamma Big Bubba 29 he'd win so many more slams with that.

BullDogTennis 07-08-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Baseline (Post 4850224)
just look at the misses, the whiffs as of recent. federer needs a bigger headsize to inspire confidence. federer is bowing down to his traditional 90 sq inch frame. you see heres the new motto for federer

5 MORE SQUARE INCHES=5 MORE SLAMS

do you REALLY think 5 square inches is going to cut down that much on mishits, and whiffs? federers racquet is the least of his problems id say...

Doubles 07-08-2010 11:51 AM

I don't see why people think he needs to change his racket. It's not his bad foot work, at least not entirely, it's the fact that he's aging. It happens to everyone, the great ones won't dominate forever, it's the same thing that happened with Sampras, Agassi, and every other great tennis player. Eventually, everyone starts to slow down, and it appears such is the case for Federer...

Razda 07-08-2010 11:52 AM

I am thinking, Federer should try the 95 during practice and see how it goes. No hurt in trying something new.

GetBetterer 07-08-2010 01:35 PM

He's played with a 90 in. racket (and smaller in his earlier career) and he has maintained #1 for 200+ weeks with it... changing won't help him by much.

Kevo 07-08-2010 02:31 PM

This is another of the long line of threads that think somehow a fraction of an inch extra room in the string bed is going to make a huge difference in hitting a ball that has a diameter of about 2.5 inches. It doesn't make that much difference.

This thread is based on a silly premise anyway. Federer was number one for so many years. He can only go down as he ages. That's just the way reality works. A frame change won't fix that.

OrangeOne 07-08-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 4850809)
And if 5 more square inches = 5 more Slams, why wouldn't 50 more square inches = 50 more Slams? :)

Yes, I was going to post something similar.
  • Federer's current slam count: 16
  • Federer's current racquet headsize: 90
  • Federer's maximum headsize: 178.25 sq in (as specified by the ITF)
  • This thread contends that for every extra inch of headsize, Federer will win another slam.
Federer's slam potential is 104.25 titles!!!

Nadal fans will be disappointed to know he maxes out at only 86.25!! ;)

813wilson 07-08-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Baseline (Post 4850021)
look i know youve heard enough of a federer racquet switch already but this time its serious. federer falling to number 3 is catastrophic at the least. federers game has really taken a hit because of a lack of power. what he needs to do to make up for it is to go to a wide beamed 95-98 frame. federer should do some testing with wilson and look at the BLX Pro Open. A 96 inch frame would work well for federer at this point in his career.

Catastrophic? Really? A soon to be 29 year old fantastic tennis player has dropped - wait for it.... two points in his ranking. Come on, a little perspective please.

Listen, I'm a huge fan of Roger's game. I think, repeat think, some of this has to do with the points system - I could be wrong. He won the French and Wimbledon last year - can't gain points on those results. Loses in the 1/4s at both so he takes a big hit. Those along with a few other results. Like Nadal last year(all of his FO and beyond results are positive points), now he has an opportunity to "bank" points after the AO of 11. Win a couple of events - a tune up to the French, IW or Miami, a Wimby tune up and all of the sudden he's got a chance at moving up.

Why don't we let the summer hard courts play out and then talk about the catastrophe that is his game.

GetBetterer 07-08-2010 02:59 PM

Lol OrangeOne...you make me lol.

Rockitdog 07-08-2010 03:08 PM

Nah- Federer is done, he should just retire!


j u s t k i d d i n g


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse