Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Clay Courts in CA (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=339451)

xbrando7 07-20-2010 09:26 PM

Clay Courts in CA
 
Can anyone tell me if there are any PUBLIC clay courts in Northern California, and where?

ph0n33z 07-21-2010 10:05 AM

This is too funny. I was just about to post a thread asking if there were any non-hard courts in Southern California! If anyone responds, please include grass as well as clay in your list!

rk_sports 07-22-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0n33z (Post 4885104)
This is too funny. I was just about to post a thread asking if there were any non-hard courts in Southern California! If anyone responds, please include grass as well as clay in your list!

Burbank Tennis Center (Har-Tru, not red clay)

And a non-PUBLIC facility that I wish I can afford to be a member of :mad:
Malibu Racket club which boasts of all Grand Slam courts (hard-US, grass, clay, hard-AUS)

Jeewalk 07-22-2010 10:01 PM

i heard from my coach that they are putting red clay in at pismo beach, thats all i know i dont know if its public or not

GS 07-23-2010 08:34 AM

If in San Diego, visit Barnes Tennis Center, near Mission Bay. 4 claycourts and 20 hard. 8-10 bucks an hour, or so.

tennisdad65 07-23-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sports (Post 4888325)
Burbank Tennis Center (Har-Tru, not red clay)

And a non-PUBLIC facility that I wish I can afford to be a member of :mad:
Malibu Racket club which boasts of all Grand Slam courts (hard-US, grass, clay, hard-AUS)

On their website, it says that Malibu Racket Club daily fee for guests is $7.50 in non prime times (11-3, and after 6 PM) and $10 otherwise.. How can it be this cheap? I guess guests means 'guests' of members.. Anyone just cannot go there alone and play as a guest..

anyway, it is well worth it if they allow guests to use the grass and clay courts.

Delano 07-23-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisdad65 (Post 4891013)
On their website, it says that Malibu Racket Club daily fee for guests is $7.50 in non prime times (11-3, and after 6 PM) and $10 otherwise.. How can it be this cheap? I guess guests means 'guests' of members.. Anyone just cannot go there alone and play as a guest..

anyway, it is well worth it if they allow guests to use the grass and clay courts.

I checked out that site too, and it looks like short term memberships are available. A weekly individual is $150. Not sure if there are sign-up fees. This comes out to $600+ a month, which is some serious scratch for a club membership, but if you're on vacation for a week and want to play a lot of tennis, $150 isn't all that bad for really nice facilities. It would cost a lot more than that to stay/play at a resort hotel.

dthomas 07-23-2010 09:50 PM

Pismo Beach red clay courts
 
Yes, they did bring in some red clay from southern California, and they are trying to bring the courts back to their original form. If you live in the area, the yearly membership is very inexpensive. I have played on them several times this summer, and they are improving the surface with the red clay. The courts are located on the north side of Pismo Beach off 101 overlooking the ocean. It is quite the view!

West Coast Ace 07-25-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 4891190)
I checked out that site too, and it looks like short term memberships are available. A weekly individual is $150. Not sure if there are sign-up fees. This comes out to $600+ a month, which is some serious scratch for a club membership, but if you're on vacation for a week and want to play a lot of tennis, $150 isn't all that bad for really nice facilities. It would cost a lot more than that to stay/play at a resort hotel.

Are you sure (did you call them?) that's how it works or just your take from reading their website? Makes sense. I was hoping to just pay them a decent amount to hit with one of their pros on their red clay for an hr or 2.

Delano 07-28-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 4895040)
Are you sure (did you call them?) that's how it works or just your take from reading their website? Makes sense. I was hoping to just pay them a decent amount to hit with one of their pros on their red clay for an hr or 2.

haven't called them, was just guessing.

West Coast Ace 12-30-2012 02:58 PM

Bump.

I sat next to someone on a plane who is a member at Malibu RC; said they took out the red clay court. Said it was very poorly constructed; no one liked playing on it, so given the cost they removed it. Didn't say if it would be replaced.

JW10S 12-30-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 7087532)
Bump.

I sat next to someone on a plane who is a member at Malibu RC; said they took out the red clay court. Said it was very poorly constructed; no one liked playing on it, so given the cost they removed it. Didn't say if it would be replaced.

Yes, the MRC did take out their clay court and replace it with the original hard court, and they never had a grass court but they've always said 'plans are in place' for that (have said that for years). Larry Ellison of Oracle owns the club and they do have plans to expand the clubhouse and build 2 new red clay courts in addition to the courts they already have and as always 'plans are in place' for a grass court. Right now they just have hardcourts and 1 Aussie Open Plexicushion court. I don't expect the remodel and new courts to be finished in 2013. I was told it was and 18 month plan. Ellison has a house nearby that has from what I hear a perfect red clay court.

jaggy 12-31-2012 05:51 AM

What about La Costa? i seem to recall they had more than hard courts years ago, no idea now.

GS 12-31-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7088650)
What about La Costa? i seem to recall they had more than hard courts years ago, no idea now.

La Costa has 13 hard courts and 4 red clay ones. They tore out their grass courts a few years ago.

West Coast Ace 12-31-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 7087877)
Yes, the MRC did take out their clay court and replace it with the original hard court, ...

Thanks for the update. Please update this thread if there is any more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS (Post 7088666)
La Costa has 13 hard courts and 4 red clay ones. They tore out their grass courts a few years ago.

Thanks. Might have to do a trip to LaCosta to knock the red off the bucket list.

Chotobaka 12-31-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 7087877)
Yes, the MRC did take out their clay court and replace it with the original hard court, and they never had a grass court but they've always said 'plans are in place' for that (have said that for years). Larry Ellison of Oracle owns the club and they do have plans to expand the clubhouse and build 2 new red clay courts in addition to the courts they already have and as always 'plans are in place' for a grass court. Right now they just have hardcourts and 1 Aussie Open Plexicushion court. I don't expect the remodel and new courts to be finished in 2013. I was told it was and 18 month plan. Ellison has a house nearby that has from what I hear a perfect red clay court.

I ran into a pro from MRC at a USPTA function last year and when I asked what was going on with the promised grass court he just laughed and said it is never going to happen no matter what the club claims. This has evidently been a longstanding black hole.

Say Chi Sin Lo 12-31-2012 09:07 PM

So, I take it that Norcal is a barren place for clay courts? :(

GS 01-01-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7089888)
So, I take it that Norcal is a barren place for clay courts? :(

There's the Flora Vista Inn in Aptos, a bed and breakfast place, with 2 clay courts. And there's a claycourt at the Indian Springs Resort in Calistoga, but it's always in so-so shape. All 3 are Har-Tru.

Chotobaka 01-01-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7089888)
So, I take it that Norcal is a barren place for clay courts? :(

I seem to recall more than one place in/near Monterey with clay courts, but small places with only one or two per facility. Sorry, but I do not remember the names or exact locations.

barringer97 01-02-2013 12:59 PM

Public in Bay Area? I can't think of any.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse