Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   power pads? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=340387)

austintennis2005 07-27-2010 05:42 AM

power pads?

does anyone out there use power pads in the throat of their racquet a la federer? if so what effect do you notice?

and also how do you make them?

thanks.

fantom 07-27-2010 06:00 AM

Never tried them. You can cut pieces of leather into little squares to make them.

ls206 07-27-2010 06:52 AM

I used them once to see if they would get rid of the "ping!" noise. They did not.

Didn't notice too much difference, maybe slightly dampened..

I cut bits of an old leather grip and rolled them.

theace21 07-27-2010 06:54 AM

Everyone used to use them on wood rackets on the 4 main strings. Don't really think they made any difference. The theory was the it reduce the angle, and was easier on the string.

Cutting up on old leather or replacement grip would work...

drakulie 07-27-2010 07:23 AM

They dampen the feel a bit.

As someone else noted, you could just get an old leather belt, and cut out tiny pieces.

Irvin 07-27-2010 07:35 AM

I used to use them all the time. They soften up the string bed a bit but I never noticed any dampening effect. I went to a leather shop and bought some scrap leather about 3/16" thick. I drew some lines with a ruler and cut out strips then took my cutters and cut them into the side I wanted. Does not take long to cut up 100s that way.

Irvin

austintennis2005 07-27-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 4899545)
They dampen the feel a bit.

As someone else noted, you could just get an old leather belt, and cut out tiny pieces.

thanks drak for the feedback...i guess i could use an old leather grip as well... sounds like they dont make much of a difference but i guess its worth a try. i guess they would add a few grams of weight to the throat as well.

does anyone know if sampras used them or just fed?

drakulie 07-27-2010 10:36 AM

^^^austin, Sampras did use them, but for how long and if he used them regularly, I'm not sure.

Safin also used them.

Irvin 07-27-2010 12:08 PM

You could use an old belt or leather grip but I would think they would be dried out. The cost is nothing why not just use thick soft new leather?

Irvin

drakulie 07-27-2010 12:49 PM

^^^agree. Also, grand slam stringers sells them.

schenkelini 07-27-2010 05:15 PM

I see no point in modern rackets. In the woodie days it was necessary, not any more.

Irvin 07-28-2010 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schenkelini (Post 4900949)
I see no point in modern rackets. In the woodie days it was necessary, not any more.

Power pads provide an extra cushion between the string and the frame and increase the radius of the string from one main string to the next. Is it possible that power pads could reduce poly sheer? What is the harm in trying?

If I did put power pads in the top of the frame to reduce sheer I would try to use a thinner piece of leather to prevent the string from rising up too high and hitting the court.

Irvin

Virtua Tennis 07-28-2010 09:38 PM

When you string with nat gut youre suppose to power pad the strings on top and on the bottom of the bridge.

What it does is reduces the pressure on the string so your grommets can't break it. I use pads sometimes on polys cause they cut into the cheap plastic grommets of some racquets.

struggle 07-28-2010 09:51 PM

mostly, powerpads have old school applications, but i'm sure
there are some that will tout the use of them even today.

for most of us, they are silly, even as a discussion.

edit: not to be an ***, i have used them before (late1980's).

Steve Huff 07-29-2010 10:59 AM

Navratilova used them in the top of her Yonex. Maybe this is where Babolat got their "woofer system" idea.

jmnk 07-30-2010 09:54 PM

I use them all the time just because. But other than this
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 4902071)
Power pads provide an extra cushion between the string and the frame and increase the radius of the string from one main string to the next.
Irvin

they do absolutely nothing else.

brownbearfalling 07-30-2010 11:36 PM

If you use them at the throat, and you are cutting them from a leather grip, I would recommend 3 layers. you can do 3 separate layers or you can use one long strip and roll it.

use more layers if you want to experiment on how it changes the feel of you strings.

MethodTennis 08-04-2010 03:48 AM

can we get some pics of power pads i dont really know what they are.

Irvin 08-04-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnd5000 (Post 4918311)
can we get some pics of power pads i dont really know what they are.

I cut a length off the big piece and then cut individual pads as I want. The leather is thinner than I thought it is about 1/8" thick.

You can see them on the bottom of Sampras' and Federer's rackets in pictures in this link.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106510

The pictures are on the first page but down a bit

Irvin

Irvin 08-04-2010 04:33 AM

A long time ago when I first started stringing I bought some power pads thinking they would be leather. When I got them I was surprised to find they were hard plastic.

Seems like all these do is increase the radius of the string so the string does not come through the frame make a two 90 degree turns and go back.

Irvin