Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What's the ave time to string on drop weight? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=340622)

borisboris 07-28-2010 01:02 PM

What's the ave time to string on drop weight?

Just bought the Gamma Progression FC--my old drop weight from the early eighties is done. It takes my about an hour to string w/ a poly.

Ash_Smith 07-28-2010 01:08 PM

As i'm sure many other will state also, don't worry about how long it takes concentrate on doing it right! Unless you're a tournament stringer where speed and quality matter!

Right, that said I average around 20-25 minutes depending on the racquet and string on my machine so i would think I'd be around 30-35 on a dropweight - haven't used one for years though!

Ash

jgrushing 07-28-2010 01:16 PM

I am pretty much always under 30 minutes with racquets I'm familiar with on my Klippermate. However, I don't use poly often. When I do, that slows me down a bit.

Irvin 07-28-2010 01:59 PM

I borrowed a friends Alpha Pioneer II and strung on a drop weight for the first this last weekend. It took me 32 minutes. I am very familiar with stringing rackets just not on a drop weight. I am sure I could improve on my time but I don't think I care to.

Irvin

dancraig 07-28-2010 10:45 PM

I did a few hundred racquets on a drop weight many years ago. I don't think my average time ever got below 30-40 minutes.

struggle 07-28-2010 11:09 PM

half hour is cooking, be happy with 40 minutes.

under that, you shouldn't have asked the question anyhow.

MarrratSafin 07-28-2010 11:38 PM

takes me around 45 mins, more for poly in 18x20 frames. I'm just a rookie stringer though!:lol:

jmjmkim 07-28-2010 11:40 PM

40 min for me. Towards the end, on the crosses, the poly is like barbed wire and the finger really gets a work out. I have to use a plier to pull each weave. Also, the 40 min. is due to the fact that all my rackets are Price O-Ports or Speed Ports which tends to slow me down some.

GPB 07-29-2010 05:11 AM

I've only been stringing for a year, but it typically takes me about 60min for a string job with multi or synthetic gut crosses and 90min for poly or natural gut crosses. It doesn't really matter what's in the mains, unless it's natural gut, in which case I'll be a bit more careful...

I usually have a movie or tv show on, and take my time making sure everything is just right. I'm not exactly sure how I could go much faster and still have a good, consistent stringjob.

Apparently, I have much to learn :)

jmverdugo 07-29-2010 05:36 AM

Usually I make 30 min in cruising mode, watching TV and talking with my wife. But I can reduce the time, sometimes I have too many for the next day, I have done one in 20 min (which is the fastes I have ever made), but normally on a rush it will take me 25min.

JackB1 07-29-2010 05:41 AM

you guys are fast!

I have only strung about 7-8 racquets so far and I can do the mains in 30 mins...probably 20 if I try and rush. But the crosses take me 45-60 mins for a total of 80-90 mins. Every time I string I get faster and my weaving is finally getting there, but I will be very happy once I can break the 1 hour mark :)

The_Question 07-29-2010 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash_Smith (Post 4903481)
I average around 20-25 minutes depending on the racquet and string on my machine

You know, the fastest stringer in Hola-bird can do 12 mins, and he won some speedy stringing award...so you're saying that you're almost as fast as him...um...

athiker 07-29-2010 06:15 AM

My last racquet the other day I finally got down to about an hour. I just got my Klippermate in late winter and had never strung before. The first time took well over 2 hours...looking up string patterns, finding out how long to cut the string for mains and crosses, making sure the mounting was right, watching knot videos, double and triple checking everything, etc.

I haven't strung that many times but I've strung 4 different racquets so each time I have to look up stuff again. I'm confident when I start to do the same racquet multiple times my time will drop significantly since I have my string patterns and lengths written down and think I have the knots down now. I can't really see getting down to 30 mins start to finish (that's just for me b/c there will always be a good amount of time between string jobs for me...if it was my job that would be different), but I think 40-45 is doable, and that would be fine with me.

Ash_Smith 07-29-2010 06:16 AM

@The_Question

I don't know what Hola-Bird is i'm afraid? But yes, if between 8 and 13 difference minutes counts as 'almost' then I average almost as fast as him! Not sure why that's hard to believe?

There are plenty of tour level/tournament stringers who string around the 12-14 minute mark (often doing 20-30 racquets a day) - I think the record is around 7 minutes (at least that I have seen). Once you get the rhythm and the ability to weave quickly and efficiently it isn't that hard to knock minutes off your time and still do a high quality job - plus the machine I have is a tour level machine so it makes the process pretty effortless in terms of mechanics.

Anyway as we all know - time is irrelevent - quality in important.

Ash

JackB1 07-29-2010 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athiker (Post 4905094)
My last racquet the other day I finally got down to about an hour. I just got my Klippermate in late winter and had never strung before. The first time took well over 2 hours...looking up string patterns, finding out how long to cut the string for mains and crosses, making sure the mounting was right, watching knot videos, double and triple checking everything, etc.

So how many attempts until you got down to an hour?

jmverdugo 07-29-2010 08:45 AM

FYI:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 4898151)
Fastest racquet time at TW:

07:07- Prince Original Graphite w/Wilson Stamina

athiker 07-29-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 4905102)
So how many attempts until you got down to an hour?

It was my 6th string job. Most of the savings were from already having the string pattern and string lengths written down and also not feeling I needed to triple check everything before getting started. I still had to look at the knot videos, but I have them bookmarked and it only took a glance. I used the pro knot this time that Drakulie showed...really liked that one...snugged up nicely. I also had to use a starting knot b/c I don't have a starting clamp (yet).

I was stringing with multifeel again so my flying clamps were already adjusted and set. I have the locking nut tightened down well now, as suggested here, so I don't have to touch it anymore during the stringing...big time saver. Before I would gradually lift the drop weight microscopically watching to see if the string might slip!...I just move along now...never had a slip. I also string the crosses 1 ahead now, thanks to this board, and find it really does make it quicker. I can actually do a half decent weave until the last few crosses.

I also have my mounting routine down now, really just everything seemed to come together. I couldn't even find my stringing instruction booklet, I just started and did it. I easily cut a half an hour from just my last time. It may have also helped that my family and kids were out of town. ;)

pingu 07-29-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash_Smith (Post 4905100)
I don't know what Hola-Bird is i'm afraid?

Ash

In case you curious, it's just another sports shop in Maryland, U.S. (********sports) :)

pingu 07-29-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borisboris (Post 4903470)
Just bought the Gamma Progression FC--my old drop weight from the early eighties is done. It takes my about an hour to string w/ a poly.

An hour with poly is not that bad.
I think the key you want to concentrate on is consistent rather than time :)

Cheers,

Parker512 07-29-2010 10:45 AM

Hola Bird is a online tennis store and other sports kinda like TW but not as extensive