Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Starcraft 2 players club (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=340798)

soyizgood 07-29-2010 05:31 PM

Starcraft 2 players club

I sold out. Actually plunked $60 of my hard-earned money on this. Nevermind I sucked at the original. I saw too many alpha and beta vidreps on youtube to resist. Installing the game as we speak. Anyone else test out the game? How is it? Who knows, we might even form a team here.

It seems the Protoss have all the good units. If they were so strong how did they lose Aiur to the Zerg? The Zerg could have conquered their sector but Kerrigan held back for some reason. Terrans as usual fighting themselves.

Member list
soyizgood (superflysoy, 312)
NickC
zapvor
GetBetterer
hansolo
OKUSA
RyanRF
fundrazer
dave333
Juges8932
Hot Sauce (depylon, 476)
RoddickRook (wrangler, 499)
FlamEnemY
Darko
coyfish (coyfish, 377)
stapler
diredesire (diredesire, 892)
calvinchang
Icedorb217
Legend of Borg

NickC 07-29-2010 05:34 PM

I'll get around to picking it up sooner rather than later. I don't give a hoot about the story mode, I just want to get a few reps in with Terran and a good feel for their new units (and change my tactics to deal with the loss of several units like the firebat and medic) before I take it to Battle.net and start owning everyone in sight.

soyizgood 07-29-2010 05:52 PM

The game comes with a 7 hour playing trial you can give to a friend. I'll probably spend this weekend trying to get familiar with the Terran units. Maybe dabble with Protoss, but I almost refuse to play Zerg.

zapvor 07-29-2010 06:58 PM

i just started playing zerg recently. every race has their pros and cons. its what makes the game so great

soyizgood 07-29-2010 07:00 PM

I can't even run the game. I keep getting BSOD. The only hiccup I can guess is it's having problems with my video card. Strange since I heard of people using the nVidia GeForce GT 240 without problems. :confused: I downloaded the latest directx patches and the latest video driver. ARGH! My card is 512MB of DDR5 memory for crying out loud.

I emailed Blizzard. I guess I can tweak settings under dxdiag and the hardware acceleration. Hope that works or else I'll need to buy another video card. Hope not since I just spent $90 on this one.

Jaewonnie 07-29-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyizgood (Post 4906633)
I can't even run the game. I keep getting BSOD. The only hiccup I can guess is it's having problems with my video card. Strange since I heard of people using the nVidia GeForce GT 240 without problems. :confused: I downloaded the latest directx patches and the latest video driver. ARGH!

are the graphics that good? Lol my PC has a Geforce 6400 :lol:

zapvor 07-29-2010 07:04 PM

damn ok i cant run it then

fundrazer 07-29-2010 07:18 PM

I think I would have been able to run it, but my laptops gfx card bit the dust. Don't think I'm getting a new computer any time soon either. I loved Starcraft and Warcraft so SC2 was very high on my want to play list, good refreshing change from all the cookie cutter fps games out.

Oh soy, if you've been playing on bnet, what division were you placed into. A lot of guys from another forum I frequent are diamond and are actually playing former wc3 pros. It's pretty amusing.

soyizgood 07-29-2010 07:19 PM

According to one link, you're out of luck if you have the following cards:

Quote:

Blizzard lists the most common cards that will not be able to run StarCraft II. They are NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 6200, 7150, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9300 and ATI Radeon Xpress 200, 1150, 1250, X1050, 8500-9600, X300-600.
My card is stronger than those listed, so wtf?!?!

Heck, I even see this advertised:
MSI GeForce GT 240 1GB w/ Starcraft II Trial $60 at Newegg

I took a snapshot of the BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Blizzard's site says that means I need to update some drivers.

soyizgood 07-29-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC (Post 4906471)
I'll get around to picking it up sooner rather than later. I don't give a hoot about the story mode, I just want to get a few reps in with Terran and a good feel for their new units (and change my tactics to deal with the loss of several units like the firebat and medic) before I take it to Battle.net and start owning everyone in sight.

The reaper replaces the firebat. From what I've seen, the medivac isn't that impressive. Though it's likely less micro to heal the units. The medivac basically combines the medic and drop ship.

FLA10s 07-29-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyizgood (Post 4906721)
The reaper replaces the firebat. From what I've seen, the medivac isn't that impressive. Though it's likely less micro to heal the units. The medivac basically combines the medic and drop ship.

Wow that was so nerdy i almost passed out...

jk, i was hooked on the first game untill i discovered diablo 2 and that game took over my life for a while. this game deff looks worth a try.

btw what took so long for blizzard to finally come out with a second game?

soyizgood 07-29-2010 08:05 PM

I figured it out. Starcraft 2 doesn't like my PCI sound card. I guess that card will finally R.I.P. though I liked that card. And that card wasn't even that old. $30 SIIG PCI soundwave 7.1 card.

Mansewerz 07-29-2010 08:06 PM

I'm surprised my PC could run City of heroes. This game must be taxing for you guys

soyizgood 07-29-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansewerz (Post 4906809)
I'm surprised my PC could run City of heroes. This game must be taxing for you guys

Took 3 hours for me to get SC 2 up and running. The install took me about 45 minutes. I was tweaking my directx and video card acceleration to deal with the BSODs. Researched online to confirm my video card could run the game. Then took an educated guess that my old sound card was crashing it (it didn't crash it during the installation though). Now it's running off the integrated sound card. I'm just messing with the tutorials. The game runs fine on my dual-core Athlon II 2.8GHz at least in the tutorial stages.

Mansewerz 07-29-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyizgood (Post 4906862)
Took 3 hours for me to get SC 2 up and running. The install took me about 45 minutes. I was tweaking my directx and video card acceleration to deal with the BSODs. Researched online to confirm my video card could run the game. Then took an educated guess that my old sound card was crashing it (it didn't crash it during the installation though). Now it's running off the integrated sound card. I'm just messing with the tutorials. The game runs fine on my dual-core Athlon II 2.8GHz at least in the tutorial stages.

BSODs? What are those?

GetBetterer 07-29-2010 09:15 PM

Phase 1 & 2 player. I've had it for 2 days now. ^^ Sign me up!

soyizgood 07-29-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansewerz (Post 4906910)
BSODs? What are those?

BSOD = blue screen of death

soyizgood 07-29-2010 10:22 PM

Looks like I need a lot of practice. I can't find the right mix of units. I'm way too defensive as well. Just need to watch more SC 2 videos and figure out how to use these units.

ls206 07-29-2010 11:43 PM

I've never invested much time in starcraft but may pick it up to play with my housemate who also sucks at the game!

FlamEnemY 07-30-2010 04:13 AM

Ok, I have an interesting question:

I currently can't afford the game, even though I'd gladly buy it. A friend of mine is in the same position, so what happens if we buy one copy together? Is it against the ten holy commandments of Blizzard?