Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Looking for ambitious tennis partner(s) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=345822)

peoplespeace 08-30-2010 03:51 PM

Looking for ambitious tennis partner(s)

Since beginning 2008 I have been travelling around the world (Argentina, Brasil, Costa Rica, South Africa, Mozambique, SE Asia, Japan, France, Sweden and Denmark (my home country) playing and watching tournaments as well as experiancing amazing cultures. As a youngster I played very little tennis (im 41 now) and I guess that my technique was around 2.5 early 08. I enrolled in an academy in Argentina with the declared aim of being able to qualify for the 1st round of a future within one year (much wiser now!!). I only stayed one month at the academy and learned nothing, at the end of the month I was bumped down to the group of beginners. I took lessons with several pros at other academies but learned nothing (as many of u will know most pros dont even attempt at teaching u anything that will take u to the next level fast even if u have the talent).

So I took charge of my one learning (video taping myself, reading books, online resources, reflecting (alot!)) and I would say that I am now a 5.0/5.5 and my plan is to work hard (and enjoy myself) with my tennis during the next year with the declared aim of being able to qualify to the 1st round of futures by mid 2011 (yes I said it and I mean it!).

So if u are an ambitious player (any age) and the same level (or slightly above or below) who has the same plans as myself but donesnt desire of have the funds to join a top notch academy, then im inviting u to join me anywhere in the world where the weather is nice and the facilities are in place and decent cost of living. I imaging ideally that we would be a group of 3 to 5 people/players renting a house/apartment near the place where we would train. We would play and drill some 4 hrs a day between ourselves as well a hire a player at future level (ie atp ranked around 500-1000) some 5 to 10 hrs a week to give us all experiance playing at the leve that we are aiming to reach (!! I kid u not). Monthly costs would prob be around 2000-3000 usd/months all exp included.

Our adventure would start this october and run a minimum of 3 months to 6 month. SO, if u are interested let me know. Comments, suggestions and advise are also very welcome ;)

Desiiliciouss 09-02-2010 06:33 AM

All I can say is - awesome! At the age of 41 with clear vision and goals - best of luck to you. I would love to be in your position when not having to worry about financial obligations.

I played tennis 18 years ago in high school and recently got back into it at upper 3.5 level and cannot believe how much I had missed the game. Love playing tennis but always a challenge finding a player at similar level, passion, and drive around this area.

spacediver 09-02-2010 10:14 AM

sounds like a wonderful idea, but I have to say I'm a bit skeptical of the claim you make about going from a 2.5 to a 5.5 in 2 years.

Do you have any footage of your game that you could share with us?

Bud 09-02-2010 03:22 PM

San Diego would be a perfect place for that :)

Sounds like a fun and interesting plan

GRANITECHIEF 09-03-2010 03:15 PM

You might consider stopping by Santa Barbara for a session of workouts. I am also around your same age and level and there are plenty of D1 and ex D1/Futures players around here to train with, as well as plenty of open tourneys nearby.

goober 09-07-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacediver (Post 5008909)
sounds like a wonderful idea, but I have to say I'm a bit skeptical of the claim you make about going from a 2.5 to a 5.5 in 2 years.

Do you have any footage of your game that you could share with us?

Well doesn't sound like he is from the US so he doesn't probably understand the rating system. No problem... but yah 2 years and basically self taught without any competitve experience is actually closer to 4.0/4.5 at best.

The only way he is making it to the first round of a main draw futures event is if he gets a WC by buying his way in or knowing the TD and getting one. To get it the regular way he would have to beat three 5.5-6.5 players in their 20s. Nothing wrong with having goals though:)

tennis_balla 09-11-2010 12:47 AM

Videos of yourself playing would be a good idea

thejackal 09-11-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRANITECHIEF (Post 5013153)
You might consider stopping by Santa Barbara for a session of workouts. I am also around your same age and level and there are plenty of D1 and ex D1/Futures players around here to train with, as well as plenty of open tourneys nearby.

I'll be in irvine for a month starting early december. any good open tournies in a 150mile radius that time of year? I play 4.5+ league and opens in canada.

Devilito 09-11-2010 06:56 AM

are we being trolled?

goober 09-11-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilito (Post 5043383)
are we being trolled?

Probably but just for comparison-

The player that finished 2009 #1 ranked nationally in the USTA 40 year old division has a 5.5 rating. He is a former ATP player that played in the Olympics and Davis Cup for his country. But I am sure this guy could be as good as him with 2 years of self training. :)

SusanDK 09-11-2010 11:57 PM

Since you're from Denmark, I was just wondering if you've ever considered looking into German Bundesliga tennis? I understand it is very competitive, with a lot of former pros playing.

Ambivalent 09-12-2010 04:17 PM

This reaks of joke and ****.

larlarbd 09-12-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplespeace (Post 4999122)
Since beginning 2008 I have been travelling around the world (Argentina, Brasil, Costa Rica, South Africa, Mozambique, SE Asia, Japan, France, Sweden and Denmark (my home country) playing and watching tournaments as well as experiancing amazing cultures. As a youngster I played very little tennis (im 41 now) and I guess that my technique was around 2.5 early 08. I enrolled in an academy in Argentina with the declared aim of being able to qualify for the 1st round of a future within one year (much wiser now!!). I only stayed one month at the academy and learned nothing, at the end of the month I was bumped down to the group of beginners. I took lessons with several pros at other academies but learned nothing (as many of u will know most pros dont even attempt at teaching u anything that will take u to the next level fast even if u have the talent).

So I took charge of my one learning (video taping myself, reading books, online resources, reflecting (alot!)) and I would say that I am now a 5.0/5.5 and my plan is to work hard (and enjoy myself) with my tennis during the next year with the declared aim of being able to qualify to the 1st round of futures by mid 2011 (yes I said it and I mean it!).

So if u are an ambitious player (any age) and the same level (or slightly above or below) who has the same plans as myself but donesnt desire of have the funds to join a top notch academy, then im inviting u to join me anywhere in the world where the weather is nice and the facilities are in place and decent cost of living. I imaging ideally that we would be a group of 3 to 5 people/players renting a house/apartment near the place where we would train. We would play and drill some 4 hrs a day between ourselves as well a hire a player at future level (ie atp ranked around 500-1000) some 5 to 10 hrs a week to give us all experiance playing at the leve that we are aiming to reach (!! I kid u not). Monthly costs would prob be around 2000-3000 usd/months all exp included.

Our adventure would start this october and run a minimum of 3 months to 6 month. SO, if u are interested let me know. Comments, suggestions and advise are also very welcome ;)

If that's True - that's self beleif right there , I salute you sir. I'm in Canada but I was looking for something similar next year - but I'm no where near 5.5. I still respect your cause. Good Luck.

Failed 09-13-2010 02:05 AM

I would like to join you but as a student I don't have the money to join your quest, <- From Finland

Devilito 09-13-2010 08:14 PM

If you’re a millionaire playboy or something like that with money to burn, set me up on the dole and I’ll come along. I’m closer to your age than these kids and in your level range skill wise. Ready to leave tomorrow if needed. Where we heading first? Just email me the itinerary.

peoplespeace 09-14-2010 03:59 PM

@ develito......Nah im not a milionaire playboy, so sry cannot sponsor u :(
@ failed.........well before having students we need to have the "main group", however cannot see how u would save money by being a student as everybody would pay the same share of rent of apart/house and otherwise have the same daily expenses, ie food, membership of club, paying for the future level player that we would "attach" to our group (my idea is that the player with the highest level in the group would get more playing time with the future level player and the player with the lowest level the least time with the future level player, for obvious reasons, but everybody would contribute the same to this guys "salary", some 1-2k usd/month, depending on the country whare we would base ourselves).

With a group of 3-5 in a amazing country like Argentina this could prob. be done for as little a 1500 usd/month all exp. included!

@ Bud and Granitechief...... tx alot for the sugestions to do this in San Diego or Santa Barbara. Sounds awesome with all the great players and tournaments. My only concern would be that it would be difficult to get enough playing time with future level players within a reasonable budget and aspect is pivotal to achieving the planned progress within a year.

@SusanDK......Well I assume that the German system work much like the Danish and winter is coming up etc ;)

Thank u to the words of encouragement that means alot :) and to the sceptics, without u guys I guess my journey wouldnt be quite the same so thank u for doing ur part ;) @ spacediver....great thead on whip physics, btw.

tennis_balla 09-14-2010 07:22 PM

This just gets better and better...

Seriously though, I'd think it would be beneficial for you to post a video of yourself playing. Otherwise you're just another TW poster talking about wild dreams. If you say there are skeptics, well there always will be no matter what you do, but posting a video will at least let people understand better your level if they're interested in joining you.

spacediver 09-14-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplespeace (Post 5057260)
...paying for the future level player that we would "attach" to our group

I may be a bit off base here, but I think a 5.5 level player is probably a future level player. How are you basing your 5.0/5.5 ranking?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here; but if you are serious about this idea (and I believe you are and have honest intentions), then you need to consider the possibility that you are describing your rating inaccurately. I do consider your idea fantastic btw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplespeace (Post 5057260)
@ spacediver....great thead on whip physics, btw.

glad you liked :)

peoplespeace 09-15-2010 04:27 AM

as for my self-rating im basing it on various things in randonm order: The description of the skills of the various levels in self-rating program, having watched some 6-8 futures over the past two yrs and played regularly with players who lose in the first round or qualis, having played no 506 in the world at the time in the 3rd round of an invitational (lost 6-0,6-0, but that was last year, ie looooong time ago), having progressed enough since early 08 to be able be beat my former self 6-1,6-1 (on avarage) twice over, if u know what I mean. The players in my club who beat me on average 6-2, 6-2two yrs ago, I know beat 6-2,6-2, having compared myself to the TW video posters that people agree are a strong 4.0 or a 5.5, having usually beaten a guy in Santa Monica last april who on the message board of the club rated himself a former 4.5 (not sure HE was correct though! ;)

I dont agree that a 5.5 is a future level player as these are from 300-800 in the world (main draw), which would leave the remaing levels for the top 300 players in the world which would be absurd.

goober 09-15-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 5057682)
This just gets better and better...

Seriously though, I'd think it would be beneficial for you to post a video of yourself playing. Otherwise you're just another TW poster talking about wild dreams. If you say there are skeptics, well there always will be no matter what you do, but posting a video will at least let people understand better your level if they're interested in joining you.

In general video is not very good for discerning 3.5-4.5 levels where most of the TW posters play at. Video is however good at displaying beginners and low level players <3.0 and it is very good and displaying high level players 5.5+. So I agree, if this guy is anywhere close to the level he says he is playing at post a video and show all the skeptics they are wrong. Unedited matchplay video is the best.