Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Need recommendations - Best tennis instructors in Northern NJ (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=346266)

njsigman 09-02-2010 05:55 AM

Need recommendations - Best tennis instructors in Northern NJ
 
Hi, can someone provide some recommendations on the best tennis instructors in Northern NJ. I have been to several clubs for private lessons and the instructors are usually average at best. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

waves2ya 09-04-2010 04:21 AM

Bob Bynum.

He's working at a private school now; not even sure if he is teaching public and is... selective.

Very difficult to find good instruction; reminds me of an old tai chi saying...

"easy to teach, difficult to correct"

Also - Scott Wlodychak at Fairfield Tennis; he's good too...

njsigman 09-09-2010 08:50 AM

Thanks for that referral. Will look him up!!

BagelMe 09-09-2010 02:15 PM

I live in bergen county and have gone through many coaches since I was 7(my dad started training me at the age of 5). I would have to say tatsumi and arturo are the best coaches around.

njsigman 09-09-2010 04:01 PM

Hi bagelme, I live in Bergen County as well. Which club are tatsumi and arturo at? Thanks.

forehandshanker 09-09-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsigman (Post 5008095)
Hi, can someone provide some recommendations on the best tennis instructors in Northern NJ. I have been to several clubs for private lessons and the instructors are usually average at best. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

njsigman,
I'm thinking of looking for an instructor for private coaching.

What do you mean by "average at best" instructors? What do you wish they would emphasize? What was good about the instructors? Do they teach stuff more than stroke technique such as tactics, footwork, point construction, etc.?

Cheers,
Alan

StanW 09-09-2010 06:05 PM

Removed 10char

njsigman 09-10-2010 03:26 AM

Thanks for the referral StanW...

Forehandshanker, what I really want in a coach/instructor is someone who is willing to partner with me to make me a better player. I routinely get someone who does the "standard lesson", i.e. warm up from the service line, then hit balls to the forehand, then to the backhand, hit some serves, etc. Same standard stuff, no real game plan at making me a better player...

BagelMe 09-10-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsigman (Post 5037898)
Hi bagelme, I live in Bergen County as well. Which club are tatsumi and arturo at? Thanks.

Tatsumi teaches in the club in bogota. Hes really strict and selective. If you sign up with him, he makes you take lessons 5 times a week at a fair price.

Arturo is now the part owner of a club opening this monday called matchpoint in orangeburg. He's a good guy and cares alot about his students.

But if you have to work on your footwork, then tatsumi is the way to go. Lol, I went to his summer camp in van saun park and he made us run and drill so much I nearly threw up.

njsigman 09-10-2010 11:00 AM

Thanks for getting back to me, BagelMe. Tatsumi sounds a bit rigid. Based on my schedule there is no way I can get there 5x a week. Will check out Arturo as well...

xrxpapi12 09-10-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagelMe (Post 5039987)
Tatsumi teaches in the club in bogota. Hes really strict and selective. If you sign up with him, he makes you take lessons 5 times a week at a fair price.

Arturo is now the part owner of a club opening this monday called matchpoint in orangeburg. He's a good guy and cares alot about his students.

But if you have to work on your footwork, then tatsumi is the way to go. Lol, I went to his summer camp in van saun park and he made us run and drill so much I nearly threw up.


So did you have greatly improved footwork after that?

BagelMe 09-12-2010 02:38 PM

^^
Well, results may vary, but honestly I think my footwork and speed improved a lot since he was pushing me so hard. One thing for sure is that my legs got a lot stronger resulting in better groundies.

The good thing about taking lessons with him is that he has a lot of really great students who you can become friends with and play against whenever.

mars76 09-13-2010 09:48 AM

Is there a thread which lists decent coaches region wise ?

I am looking for good coaches in DC Region..

thanks

Solek 09-13-2010 10:01 AM

Coach In NYC
 
I take weekly lessons now and have been doing so for the past two years but still cant get my serve down. I need someone i can take one or two lessons off of to set me straight. Anyone good in the NYC area? Please help!

ollinger 09-13-2010 07:41 PM

If you can't get your serve right, Colin Dibley, the former biggest server in the world (148 mph with a wood racquet) is in northern New Jersey, specifically at the West Orange tennis club, an indoor cement facility.

polakosaur 09-13-2010 07:48 PM

I'm always open to a new hitting/playing partner in northern/central new jersey if anyone is interested. High level only please. IM if interested.

Snowey 09-29-2010 11:21 AM

Know Arturo's work well
 
Arturo Richiez is an excellent pro with a very wonderful attitude. I know because he took my first time playing 12 year old son and by high school he was on the tennis team as a freshman, captain of the tennis team in high school and made one of the all Bergen teams. Arturo was junior champion in the Dominican Republic. His knowledge is extraordinary and he treats his clients very well. He is at the Match Point Tennis Club at 39 Ramland Road South in Orangeburg. The new center is having an open house this weekend on the 2nd and the 3rd beginning at 11am. The ad was in the newspaper. Go meet and talk with him. You won't be disappointed. Sorry, I do not know the other guy recommended to you but good luck with your decision.

Snowey 09-29-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mars76 (Post 5052375)
Is there a thread which lists decent coaches region wise ?

I am looking for good coaches in DC Region..

thanks

Did you check the USTA list for that area? Might be a good place to start and then do a post on specific people.

Snowey 09-29-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsigman (Post 5040922)
Thanks for getting back to me, BagelMe. Tatsumi sounds a bit rigid. Based on my schedule there is no way I can get there 5x a week. Will check out Arturo as well...

Posted a message about Arturo but it didn't include quoting your post. Know his work well, check it out. He will tailor his work to exactly what you need and want as a goal. My son is the proof of how good a coach Arturo is. Read my other post and go meet him. You will not be disappointed.

BigbangerNYC 08-10-2012 08:46 AM

Jonathan Le at Pacquenac Tennis Club is the best instructor.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse