Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   cheap polys vs. expensive polys (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=349)

Jay Welvaert 02-23-2004 06:27 PM

cheap polys vs. expensive polys

Hi, I was wondering if there are any playing differences between like gosen polylon and luxilons line like big banger original? In terms of control, playability, spin potential, feel, and stuff like that?

Thanks, Jay

christo 02-23-2004 08:56 PM

I switched from Lux Ace to Kirsch Comp. it's not as crisp but still plays great so I'm happy

Shaolin 02-23-2004 09:46 PM

I use Gosen polylon 17 mains with NXT 17 crosses, and life is good with that.

louis netman 02-23-2004 11:14 PM

poly tradeoff

There's definitely a cost tradeoff.... Lux definitely has more "feel" and playability than say, Polylon, which is OK...you have to decide if it's eleven bucks better...

Deuce 02-24-2004 02:17 AM

I've got an all Polylon job now, and a couple of weeks ago, I had perhaps my best hitting day ever. I was hitting everything (well, almost). I know for an absolute fact that if I had Luxilon, or natural gut, or whatever high priced string in my racquet on that day, I would not have played any better. The same can be accurately said of any other day. That's the bottom line to me.

It's the player.

python 02-24-2004 05:45 AM

There's a substantial difference in feel between ALU Power and Gosen Polylon. Just about anyone who has tried both will surely agree with that.

Is the ALU Power worth the extra ducats? Only you can decide that for yourself.

borisboris 02-24-2004 09:29 AM

ALU = overrated -- it works for some but overall there is too much hype -- the price isn't justified other than giving a try once. It's similar to the Babolot racquets - alot of initial hype then flattens out.

Big D 02-24-2004 11:47 AM

poylon hits pretty well and it's cheap. There's a lot of difference between syn gut and nat gut, but is it worth the $20 savings. ALU is different, but I wouldn't say better.

topspin 02-24-2004 01:19 PM

I have a friend who strings with me, a solid 4.5 player. He was breaking synthetics very quickly so I strung up some poly for him (hybrid). He broke that fast too, said he liked the poly feel but that's about it, wasn't overly impressed. Last year I strung up some Luxilon ALU for him and he was extremely impressed and immediately told me to order more. And it made a big difference in his game, I never beat him since :( So everyone has a different experience out there. I just would never say I couldn't play better with another string because hey you just never know unless you try it. My 2 cents.

Deuce 02-25-2004 12:31 AM

When you're hitting EVERYTHING, then you KNOW you won't play any better with more expensive string.

Rabbit 02-25-2004 05:38 AM

IMO, strings make a big difference. Once you find a frame you can play with, the strings and tension either make or break the frame. It's been my experience that I play a ton better with Luxilon TIMO than any other string. I agree that is the player, but if you give a player two rackets identical rackets, one strung with a bad string choice and one strung like he likes it, the player will choose the racket strung like he likes it. There have been many cases of folks demoing frames that were strung improperly or with a string/tension they didn't like and as a result they didn't like the racket. It probably wasn't the frame, it was the string/tension.

I know that I have found the ideal set up for me. The C10 and TIMO 17 at 54 pounds (although when the V-Engine MidPlus comes out I will have to give it a run) is the ideal set up for me. Likewise, when I played with the Vilas, natural gut at 58 pounds was the perfect setup for it. I tried a couple of multis and natural gut was by far the better choice in the Vilas.

I know that I play better with that string/tension than any other setup I have tried. So, in my experience, it seems that having the proper string/tension is what makes all the difference in the world. The hardest part of changing frames is getting the string/tension combination right. The number of frames that you would ever consider buying is far less than the number of string choices/tensions that you can play with. Boris Becker once said that his racket merely held his strings. This implies that the strings make or break a racket. IMO, this is the gospel. A good string choice will lift your game through improved consistency and confidence. A bad string choice will send you into the land of demoing.

topspin 02-25-2004 02:41 PM

Yes Rabbit, good post. That's why you really got to try a string to be able to judge how you would play with it.

Deuce, sorry but the only player I've seen hit everything was Roger Federer at Wimbledon 2003. But hey you don't have to try every string out there to be confident out there on the court. Sounds like you found something that gives you that confidence and that's good, you can't try them all right, I know I've tried, but they just keep coming out with new ones.

Plawan 02-25-2004 03:09 PM

I don't feel any significant difference of strings with the similar main materials, but newer string job feel much better than old one, so cheaper polys allow me to change string more often than Lux. line.

topspin 02-25-2004 04:55 PM

oh for sure nothing like a fresh string job, only problem with fresh string jobs is that most strings stay fresh only for the first set or so; this all depends on your level of play and how hard you hit that ball and the amount of spin you use

Rabbit 02-26-2004 03:51 AM

I don't know that similar always equates to equal. I've tried to find a good substitute for TIMO and haven't had any luck. I've tried all the new Kirschbaums and still....nothing. :?

Gaines Hillix 02-26-2004 05:42 AM

I tried just about everything with my most demanding string breaker. He goes through a set of ALU Power in about 6 weeks of regular play. He goes through gut and syn gut in about 3 weeks. I tried lots of other durability strings, but he didn't like them as well as the ALU Power and is willing to pay the extra cost, so it's worth it for him.

Hit 'em clean 02-26-2004 10:46 AM

Strings can make a difference, however, this varies greatly depending on what you're talking about. Strings types can effect feel, power, spin, and how your physical arm feels. Tension of string has the greatest effect on these. It's difficult to judge strings sometimes because a strings often play better at different tensions then perhaps the normal say 60lbs you've always strung at. Gage of the string also plays a role. Typically I've found that I look to different strings when I'm concerned with durability and feel at impact. As far as cheap vs expensive a lot of times I gravitate towards even cheap synthetic gut because the little extra I might notice in spin etc is so minimal that it's not worth paying 3 times as much for it.

Bottom line I think too many people believe a racquet or string will magically make them play better or add an element to their game they don't have. In each case the new element usually means you sacrifice something else (power for control, etc). The best racquets and string are those that compliment your swing style, swing speed, game style, prefernce for feel and spin the most. If it complements you and how you play then you'll have more confidence and hence play better. To improve your game you just need to work that aspect. Don't let a low price of string make you think that it's unworthy or that you'll play better with something more expensive.

GP 02-26-2004 11:01 PM

Well, it's been a while since I've used Gosen Polylon, and I still have a half a reel left of it. Now using a lot of TiMo Luxilon.

First off, although both strings are referred to as "poly" strings, they are made of very different stuff. Polylon is made of polyester, which is what used to be the only plastic referred to as a "poly". Luxilon TiMO is made up mainly of Polyether (or zyex, or Polyether ether ketone, or PEEK), which is a much different material, as well as some other material (presumably Ti and MO to give it more wear resistance - I'm just guessing here - TiMO wears better than the regular Big Banger).

Polyether is a much tougher and more elastic plastic than polyester. It is known for not losing its elasticity and is also used as a synthetic replacement string for gut strings in musical instruments (just like tennis racquets!).

Both Polylon and TiMO have excellent wear resistance, especially when used with a softer nylon cross-string in a hybrid. Both are relatively stiff strings and will feel very stiff at higher tensions.

Polylon has this very brief (maybe 1-2 hours or less of use) period of time after stringing where it actually feels somewhat elastic and powerful. After that, it goes dead, Dead, DEAD. Very little power after that.

TiMo retains its elasticity and power for a much longer period of time. It resembles gut strings in this respect, although it is not as forgiving or as powerful as a top quality gut string.

Stringing the two strings is also different. Polylon is much stiffer, and feels almost like stringing aluminum wire. Make a bend in Polylon, and the bend stays in the string forever. Polyester is a more brittle material as well, and so you have to be careful not to keep bending any part of the Polylon string too much or it will crack and break.

Polylon, is of course, dirt cheap whereas TiMO is priced at premium synthetic string levels.

So, bottom line is that if durability and price are the only considerations, then Polylon wins hands down. If you rather play with something that has a crisper feel and decent power AND also has great durability, TiMO is not hugely more expensive, and so is well worth it.

jc2 03-01-2004 03:36 PM

Is Wilson Enduro Tour Polyether?

GP 03-03-2004 10:31 AM

Probably not primarily polyether. TW's description of it is that it's a softer polyester string made up of 28 polymers and additives. My guess is that it's got other plastics in it besides polyester to help soften the string, but that it's primarily polyester.