Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Strings A Stringer Must Have In Stock? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=350506)

GucciRogue 09-27-2010 10:12 PM

Strings A Stringer Must Have In Stock?

What are the strings you always have in stock? I usually just have 2. What are your go to strings to suggest to your customers? and How much do you charge for your labor and string? THANK YOU i was just curious.

Strings I always have in stock

Prince Synthetic w Duraflex 16g

Technifiber Black Code 16g

petercoffey 09-27-2010 11:15 PM

Syn Gut, NXT, Topspin Cyber Flash and pro hurricane...I have others, but these are my top 4...all 16s... I do most of my stringing for local high school teams, so string cost + 10

armsty 09-27-2010 11:21 PM

At the moment (Just did an order from Solinco here in AUS) I am carrying reels of Pro Supex Maxim Touch, Solinco Pro Stacked, Tour Bite and Barb Wire and Forten Comp Nylon. I also have sets of various strings.

In the past I've carried reels of Topspin Cyberblue and Tecnifiber Syn gut but the customers who used these have moved onto other strings.

COPEY 09-27-2010 11:27 PM

Which Solinco string did you order, armsty?

armsty 09-27-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 5085146)
Which Solinco string did you order, armsty?

Read the post mate.

I have 3 reels as listed and 2 or 4 sets of each of their other strings.

Centered 09-28-2010 12:29 AM

If I were a stringer, I'd stock these for sure:

Liberty 16 – for the cheapskates
Dynamite 16 (really a 15L) – for durability with softness
Dynamite 17 – This is what I'd suggest to the majority of players

From there, I'd very likely have these:

Dynamite 17 or 18 Soft – This is what I'd suggest for people with tender elbows.
MonoGut 17 – for the poly people
NRG-2 16 – for players who like a fairly stiff and durable string

Gut would be a special order, or a "bring your own pack", and would be an extra charge.

Ash_Smith 09-28-2010 01:13 AM

I would suggest any new stringer keep a full reel of half decent syn.gut (eg Prince Duraflex, RAB Texflex, HEad PPS), a full reel of resonable poly (eg Weiss Silver, Signum PPP, MSV) and a half reel of a multi (eg RAB Sensorfibre, Tec NRG etc).

That should sort you out for most regular club players, if anyone want's anything specific you can order an individual set.

Pricewise, set you labour charge and your mark-up on string (if you want). I charge a little more for labour than some of my competitors but that's because I do a better job! I mark up my string based on the 'set' price. That is if I cut from a reel i'll charge the cost per individual set to the client - that's my mark up sorted. You could just charge cost price if you want, it all depends on what your market is and what people are willing to pay.

Ash

COPEY 09-28-2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armsty (Post 5085138)
At the moment (Just did an order from Solinco here in AUS) I am carrying reels of Pro Supex Maxim Touch, Solinco Pro Stacked, Tour Bite and Barb Wire...

Quote:

Originally Posted by armsty (Post 5085153)
Read the post mate.

I did read it, I just misunderstood it with the respect to the way it was worded.

Just ordered suggests something you don't currently have on hand...

I am carrying implies that it's physically in your possession...

I took it as you ordered yet another type of Solinco string in addition to what you currently had in stock, but I'm with ya now. ;-)

armsty 09-28-2010 02:51 AM

Ah, well I ordered on Thursday night and got it Monday Morning :)

COPEY 09-28-2010 03:20 AM

Hehe gotcha - love Tour Bite, son uses Revolution, but I've yet to try Barb Wire.

Anyway, the strings that seem to get the most demand in my area are:

Mantis Power Synthetic
Gosen OG-Sheep Micro
Mantis Comfort Synthetic (has a very comfortable feel...but probably pretty stiff lol)
Babolat Syn Gut (got two customers who swear by this stuff...but hey, I stock what people buy, not what "I" like)

Pro Supex Maxim Touch

Weiscannon Silver String
Topspin Cyber Blue
Kirschbaum Pro Line II
Solinco Tour Bite

I also have reels of:
Genesis Spin X
Pro Supex Big Ace,
Poly Star Energy
Gosen Polylon (a mistake, but a few high schoolers like it)
Mantis Comfort Poly

Like Ash Smith, I don't mark-up the string per se; I use the price of a set which serves as my bonus (of sorts) since I only charge $10 for labor regardless of string type.

mikeler 09-28-2010 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 5085293)
Hehe gotcha - love Tour Bite, son uses Revolution, but I've yet to try Barb Wire.

Anyway, the strings that seem to get the most demand in my area are:

Mantis Power Synthetic
Gosen OG-Sheep Micro
Mantis Comfort Synthetic (has a very comfortable feel...but probably pretty stiff lol)
Babolat Syn Gut (got two customers who swear by this stuff...but hey, I stock what people buy, not what "I" like)

Pro Supex Maxim Touch

Weiscannon Silver String
Topspin Cyber Blue
Kirschbaum Pro Line II
Solinco Tour Bite

I also have reels of:
Genesis Spin X
Pro Supex Big Ace,
Poly Star Energy
Gosen Polylon (a mistake, but a few high schoolers like it)
Mantis Comfort Poly

Like Ash Smith, I don't mark-up the string per se; I use the price of a set which serves as my bonus (of sorts) since I only charge $10 for labor regardless of string type.

Off topic I know, but how would you compare the Mantis Comfort Synthetic with the Maxim Touch in terms of softness. No stiffness rating discussion, just feel :O?

COPEY 09-28-2010 05:01 AM

Hey mikeler, I know you're a big proponent of MT, and I know why; it's great stuff! I don't know if I can discuss this without throwing some numbers out though lol.

Seriously, I have MT in one of my racquets and Gosen in the other (was curious about the relative difference between the two in terms of feel/comfort/playability), but from what I remember when I had one strung up with Comfort is that it's every bit as soft as MT...maybe a little softer. It's really a nice string. It's certainly not durable by any means, but if you're not a string breaker or you string for yourself, it's a great string to consider. It's pretty popular around here since there are quite a few retired "elder statesmen" that play tennis at the base.

TennisCJC 09-29-2010 06:42 AM

I keep reels of these: NRG2 16G, Signum Pro Tornado 17G, Signum Pro Hyperion 17G, and miscellaneous individual sets of things I want to sample such as Black Code, and Spiky Shark. I need a decent syn gut reel and may get Prince 16G duraflex of something similar. I had been using an old syn gut reel I had but just used the last bit. I charge $10 over the string cost.

Jeffy005 09-29-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 5087779)
I keep reels of these: NRG2 16G, Signum Pro Tornado 17G, Signum Pro Hyperion 17G, and miscellaneous individual sets of things I want to sample such as Black Code, and Spiky Shark. I need a decent syn gut reel and may get Prince 16G duraflex of something similar. I had been using an old syn gut reel I had but just used the last bit. I charge $10 over the string cost.

$10 for stringing? wow.... where do u live man?....... i'd be happy to get my racquet restring by you....

drakulie 09-29-2010 06:59 AM

I keep a reel of the following:

Gosen OG Micro
Technifibre Synthetic
Wilson Sensation
Maxim Touch
Nylon (forten)
Technifibre NRG2
Prince Synthetic w/ Duraflex

Pro Supex Big Ace
Pro Supex Big Ace Micro
Genesis Black Magic
Genesis Typhoon
Lux Big Banger Alu Power
Pro Line 2

I also keep some sets of NXT Tour 18, Babolat VS, Wilson Champions Choice, Lux Rough, RPM Blast, Timo, and a few others.

gotwheels 09-29-2010 07:14 AM

Ash, I am always looking for an alternative to Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex, but keep going back to it as my SG (along with Prince SG Original) for its quality, playability (crisp, durable, reasonable tension maintenance). How do RAB Texflex and Head PPS compare to the Prince SG w/D in these characteristics? Would a club player be able to distinguish either from the Prince in a blind test?

For others - have you found a synthetic gut that is a clone of the Prince SG w/ Duraflex?

Thanks

rich s 09-29-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 5087808)
I keep a reel of the following:

Gosen OG Micro
Technifibre Synthetic
Wilson Sensation
Maxim Touch
Nylon (forten)
Technifibre NRG2
Prince Synthetic w/ Duraflex

Pro Supex Big Ace
Pro Supex Big Ace Micro
Genesis Black Magic
Genesis Typhoon
Lux Big Banger Alu Power
Pro Line 2

I also keep some sets of NXT Tour 18, Babolat VS, Wilson Champions Choice, Lux Rough, RPM Blast, Timo, and a few others.

Drak-
Out of curiosity.... what gages of each reel do you stock? If you currently stock multiple gages and were only to stock a single gage which gage would you stock?

thanks-
rich

drakulie 09-29-2010 08:13 AM

rich, for the synthetics I stock both 16 and 17 gauge. For the poly strings, I typically stock 17, although I will at times carry sets of the 16. For instance, I carry Super Smash Honey in 16 because that is what my wife plays with. I'll stock some BHT 16 because most people prefer or request that gauge.

If I had a choice to only stock one gauge, it would be the 17. Typically it is much livelier, and not as abrasive.

rich s 09-29-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 5087974)
rich, for the synthetics I stock both 16 and 17 gauge. For the poly strings, I typically stock 17, although I will at times carry sets of the 16. For instance, I carry Super Smash Honey in 16 because that is what my wife plays with. I'll stock some BHT 16 because most people prefer or request that gauge.

If I had a choice to only stock one gauge, it would be the 17. Typically it is much livelier, and not as abrasive.

thanks for the insite...

Ash_Smith 09-29-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotwheels (Post 5087845)
Ash, I am always looking for an alternative to Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex, but keep going back to it as my SG (along with Prince SG Original) for its quality, playability (crisp, durable, reasonable tension maintenance). How do RAB Texflex and Head PPS compare to the Prince SG w/D in these characteristics? Would a club player be able to distinguish either from the Prince in a blind test?

For others - have you found a synthetic gut that is a clone of the Prince SG w/ Duraflex?

Thanks

RAB Texflex I doubt they'd be able to tell any difference, if anything I prefer it and generally get through reels and reels of the stuff - the price I get it for makes it about 30 cheaper per reel than PSG, which helps! Head PPS is more similar to (on a par with) Tecnifibre Syn Gut that PSG, it's a solid core synthetic which has a pearlescent coacing for easier stringing.

Go for the Texflex if you can get it! You or your customers wont regret it!

Ash