Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Starting my stringing business, looking for thoughts on my flyer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352335)

G Fizzz 10-10-2010 09:01 PM

Starting my stringing business, looking for thoughts on my flyer

Just a side job to make some spending cash

Need to Restring your racket?
There are now low cost alternatives for those professional prices!
Garrett Arredondo and Milton Dalida are now offering their stringing services to the public at a lower price than anywhere else in town! Cost is $10 ($8 for college and high school players) plus the cost of any string of your choice.

Some of the strings in stock*:

Prince Lightning XX, 17 g, black, powerful synthetic gut - $8
Prince Syn. Gut w/duraflex, 16 g, black, white, gold; durable synthetic - $6
Prince Syn. Gut w/duraflex, 17 g, gold, white;
more playable, spin friendly than 16g - $6
Luxilon Alu Big Banger Power, 16L g, silver;
top choice of the ATP/ WTA pros - $20
Luxilon Alu Big Banger Power Rough,16L g, silver;
more spin-friendly version Alu Power - $20
Wilson Sensation,16 g, natural;
arm-friendly multifilament - $10

*This list is not limited, special orders are welcome and this list will grow in the next few months. You name the string and it will become available!

airman88 10-10-2010 09:21 PM

I wouldn't say you are an alternative to a professional. This looks like it is a 2 year old stringing on a fisher price. Just say you have experience, and the price. People know how much theya re paying.

dgdawg 10-11-2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Fizzz (Post 5111397)
Just a side job to make some spending cash

Need to Restring your racket?
There are now low cost alternatives for those professional prices!
Garrett Arredondo and Milton Dalida are now offering their stringing services to the public at a lower price than anywhere else in town! Cost is $10 ($8 for college and high school players) plus the cost of any string of your choice.

Some of the strings in stock*:

Prince Lightning XX, 17 g, black, powerful synthetic gut - $8
Prince Syn. Gut w/duraflex, 16 g, black, white, gold; durable synthetic - $6
Prince Syn. Gut w/duraflex, 17 g, gold, white;
more playable, spin friendly than 16g - $6
Luxilon Alu Big Banger Power, 16L g, silver;
top choice of the ATP/ WTA pros - $20
Luxilon Alu Big Banger Power Rough,16L g, silver;
more spin-friendly version Alu Power - $20
Wilson Sensation,16 g, natural;
arm-friendly multifilament - $10

*This list is not limited, special orders are welcome and this list will grow in the next few months. You name the string and it will become available!

I agree with airman88.
Without certification or a "pro shop" quality machine, you're not adding much credibility. I would back off the comparison and just say: quality at a reasonable price.

Just my opinion

Ash_Smith 10-11-2010 05:43 AM

OP - are you the same guy as on the other almost identical thread or is that a coincidence!!! :)

Ash

Parker512 10-11-2010 03:13 PM

what a price up.

dgdawg 10-11-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker512 (Post 5112770)
what a price up.

ha ha ha.....What?

Parker512 10-11-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgdawg (Post 5112780)
ha ha ha.....What?

Dude price up $1 or $2 but not $4-$5. Luxillion for what then Labor your out of your mind.

Djlpenguin 10-11-2010 05:43 PM

i hate to agree with parker but that is quite a mark up. when i strin, i just round it to the nearest whole dollar, like 3.95 turns into 4. but 5 dollars is pretty big. then again, 10 for labor isnt that big, but still, some people will charge 10 for labor and charge you for string, nothing more.

dgdawg 10-11-2010 06:27 PM

Price up??? What the h*ll is that.
Most ppl in the english speaking world call that "mark up".
If dude's charging $10 labor, $4 string mark up is acceptable.
I charge $20 labor and no string mark up.
$20 labor whether you bring your own string or I provide it.

Radicalized 10-11-2010 08:57 PM

Reminder to all: Parker512 is 13 y.o. and has no real experience.

Nothing against the OP, but Ash is right on the similarity to other pages. There seems to be a small collection of new "stringing businesses" popping up. I'm relatively new to TT, but I wonder how often this happens.

As I noted in another post, you have to be careful with this, "There are now low cost alternatives for those professional prices!" kind of stuff. It is sort of like saying, "alternatives to professionals." Most of the pro stringers on here describe their prices as what I think are reasonable. I don't know your market, but I do hope you have adequate experience to be calling yourself an "alternative." Aside from general experience, they have certifications that address quality and proper techniques.

Also, if the stringing prices in your area aren't realistically "outrageous," I don't favor anyone undercutting the market rate. If you get a decent number of customers, you'll have to produce at a decent rate. Hopefully, you have the skills to do that without loss of quality.

True players will have questions on experience and quality issues. Aside from the stringing, they are putting an expensive piece of hardware in your hands. They'll probably also notice the "markup" on the string.

dgdawg 10-12-2010 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radicalized (Post 5113312)
Reminder to all: Parker512 is 13 y.o. and has no real experience.

Nothing against the OP, but Ash is right on the similarity to other pages. There seems to be a small collection of new "stringing businesses" popping up. I'm relatively new to TT, but I wonder how often this happens.

As I noted in another post, you have to be careful with this, "There are now low cost alternatives for those professional prices!" kind of stuff. It is sort of like saying, "alternatives to professionals." Most of the pro stringers on here describe their prices as what I think are reasonable. I don't know your market, but I do hope you have adequate experience to be calling yourself an "alternative." Aside from general experience, they have certifications that address quality and proper techniques.

Also, if the stringing prices in your area aren't realistically "outrageous," I don't favor anyone undercutting the market rate. If you get a decent number of customers, you'll have to produce at a decent rate. Hopefully, you have the skills to do that without loss of quality.

True players will have questions on experience and quality issues. Aside from the stringing, they are putting an expensive piece of hardware in your hands. They'll probably also notice the "markup" on the string.

Nice comments Rad.....You need to be careful when you compare yourself to a professional.

I think the best policy is not to compare yourself, but list your attributes. Explain why a player should go to you, not why "you think" you're better than the pro shop. AND, if your pricing structure isn't "on par" with the market rate in your area, I believe it diminishes your credibility.

In my case, when I meet a player and hand them a card, the first thing I ask is "do you have a stringer you normally use". I still hand them the card, and depending on what they say, I tell them (if it's the pro shop 20miles away) "they're really good at what they do, probably the best around" and "I'm here in a pinch if you need an emergency job".

Part of that is also because, I'm friends with those people and my objective is not to take business from them, but offer relatively the same service without having to travel 20 miles.

If it's a local stringer, (there are 2 that I know of, that string for others) I list my attributes, (certified, Star 5, thousands of frames, etc....) and say "I'm here in a pinch".

IMO, there's nothing worse than saying "I'm better than xxxx because xxxx"

One stringer in my area is a 13yr kid on a Klippermate. Real nice kid. His mother was telling one of my regulars that "my kid is just as good, he (me) uses that crap string (SPPP, I have about 12/15 others as well) and my kid will string it for $10"
I couldn't believe she said that AND, my regular was pretty turned off by that. This kids mother, basically, shot her kids foot off.

I offer: Frame inspection, frame cleaning, tubing/grommet replacement (if necessary) free replacement over wrap, quality equipment (star 5) experience (a few thousand frames)

Conclusion: I've polled my customers, they all say "I wish your price was cheaper" but they also say, it's a decent price for what I offer.
My service is "QVC" " quality/ value/ convenience........