Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pro Kennex Graphite Ascent 90? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=353620)

kennydredrum 10-19-2010 10:44 PM

Pro Kennex Graphite Ascent 90?

I recently bought a Pro Kennex Graphite Ascent 90 from local thrift store. I searched online but couldn't find any information about it. It is turquoise in color with a very similar paint job as the Head Graphite Pro (USA version). It is made of graphite/fiberglass and has a silver full cover.

Some measured specs:
12.5oz
8 point head light
beam width probably 17mm
string pattern 16x19

I wonder if anyone ever heard about this racket? Thanks!

leroy_sunset 12-30-2012 08:59 PM

I also just picked up one of these sticks, $5 at Goodwill. Seems like it will be right up my alley. It's a bit more teal than the picture lets on.

Hannah19 12-31-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leroy_sunset (Post 7088310)
I also just picked up one of these sticks, $5 at Goodwill. Seems like it will be right up my alley. It's a bit more teal than the picture lets on.

Very HEAD-like appearance from the mid 80's. They made a ton of models in that period, also for large retail chains. Maybe it's from one of those chains.

leroy_sunset 12-31-2012 09:21 AM

Wait, so are you saying Head might have made this and slapped a PK paintjob on it?

Mister drool 12-31-2012 09:32 AM

Probably more the other way around. i have felt that, for example, the redondo mid, is as close as youl get these days to a p600, even in direct competition with the prestige mid. Less power potential for the redondo vs P600 for sure, but with the right string setup in there, and your good to go.

Not that unusual for some companies to share ideas and tecnitians man power regarding the birth of a certain type of racquet (or golf clubs, or paddels, or skiis,, etc..)

leroy_sunset 12-31-2012 09:54 AM

Fair enough. Stringing pattern available here, only lists 1 piece job: http://www.sptennis.com/patterns/PatternOther2.html

leroy_sunset 12-31-2012 03:46 PM

Ya, that string pattern listed in the last link was not really right. Here is the one that worked for me:

Here's the result, with a new overgrip. I might touch the paint up in the future as well. This teal is a much more accurate color representation.

Hannah19 12-31-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leroy_sunset (Post 7089016)
Wait, so are you saying Head might have made this and slapped a PK paintjob on it?

No, Pro Kennex was a trend follower, so they looked at the large brands for style and make up and would copy.

leroy_sunset 01-02-2013 06:25 PM

Hit with it today. Pretty meh. It wasn't as headlight as advertised, so I found myself late on my backhands. If I got the racquet back way early, then I was rewarded. Decent spin potential. Fairly stable, although off-center shots were very unforgiving.

It just didn't have the same feel of old graphite sticks. However, it did have the high-pitched "ping" when hitting the ball. Worth $5? Maybe. Regular player? Unlikely. I'll give it another chance tomorrow.

leroy_sunset 01-11-2013 10:41 PM

Nope, no interest. The spin was good on the forehand side, but I just had nothing from the backhand. After I shanked like 6 balls with it, I got my HGE out and started pounding forehands again.

Who knows, maybe someone will want it on craigslist for $10?

struggle 01-12-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah19 (Post 7089687)
No, Pro Kennex was a trend follower, so they looked at the large brands for style and make up and would copy.

at the same time, didn't PK make lots of frames for lots of brands/"manufacturers"?

kinda like Giant Bicycles used to be.

Hannah19 01-12-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7114577)
at the same time, didn't PK make lots of frames for lots of brands/"manufacturers"?

kinda like Giant Bicycles used to be.

Yes, Kunnan made for several brand names such as Wimbledon and Rucanor, just to name a few.