Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Yonex Super RD Tour 95 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=354268)

Cesare 10-25-2010 05:26 AM

Yonex Super RD Tour 95

Just bought the racquet, good conditions. Can't wait to play with it. Racquet feels not too much heavy, despite its declared weight. beautiful paint-job, first time for me to own a Yonex. it is a good frame?

Rabbit 10-25-2010 06:16 AM

One of Yonex's best. The 90 square inch version cured my tennis elbow. It weighed in at around 14+ ounces and was a beast.

The RD Tour is my absolute favorite cosmetic of all time. The trinagular beam and the "window" at 12 o'clock showing the braided graphite makes this racquet beautiful.

Great find.

Cesare 10-25-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 5143518)
One of Yonex's best. The 90 square inch version cured my tennis elbow. It weighed in at around 14+ ounces and was a beast.

The RD Tour is my absolute favorite cosmetic of all time. The trinagular beam and the "window" at 12 o'clock showing the braided graphite makes this racquet beautiful.

Great find.

Rabbit, thank you so much. do you think that the frame should be strung with a multi (or natural gut) or a modern co-poly?

Dino Lagaffe 10-25-2010 09:45 AM

Hi Cesare,

it's a very nice racquet. I'd start out with a nice multi, but don't remember the frame to be extremely string sensitive. Something that worked really well in a similar racquet, the RD-7, was a Bab Nat Gut - Lux BB combo. I love old Yonexes, they don't really come more solid than this.

tandayu 10-25-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesare (Post 5143449)
Just bought the racquet, good conditions. Can't wait to play with it. Racquet feels not too much heavy, despite its declared weight. beautiful paint-job, first time for me to own a Yonex. it is a good frame?

Yours is the larger head version? I used those in early 90s, headlight, generates easy spin, powerful frame but not harsh for elbow

The srd90 is the midsize more popular version supposedly used by the pros

Virginia 10-25-2010 11:23 AM

Hmm, that reminds me - I got a 95 recently - must take it out for a spin tomorrow. I agree about the paint job - stunning!

zumzool 10-25-2010 04:08 PM

this racquet is awesome. I love the flex and the solid feel. I do wish it had a little more power.

The biggest problem is the cheap throat grommets that break apart easily.... I had to order replacements from Canada.

Cesare 10-25-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 5143921)
Hi Cesare,

it's a very nice racquet. I'd start out with a nice multi, but don't remember the frame to be extremely string sensitive. Something that worked really well in a similar racquet, the RD-7, was a Bab Nat Gut - Lux BB combo. I love old Yonexes, they don't really come more solid than this.

The great Dino, how are you doin'? you know, in this period i'm very happy with my old Volkl C10 Comp mid. underrated racquet, and probably the best Volkl mid ever, at least for my game. in this one, i have the x-one biphase 17, and it works so great, but i think i'm going to follow your string suggestions for my new frame.

Cesare 10-25-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tandayu (Post 5144018)
Yours is the larger head version? I used those in early 90s, headlight, generates easy spin, powerful frame but not harsh for elbow

The srd90 is the midsize more popular version supposedly used by the pros

yes, i remember Krajicek playin' with the 90" version. my 95" version looks really like a modern 98" yonex headsize

hrstrat57 10-25-2010 07:05 PM

I have one, rock solid frame....really, one of those frames that kinda swings itself.

Thought about putting it in my bag but I could never find another one. I am now solidly committed to Head 18x20 frames so search for a mate is over.

Super RD 95 is solid off the ground, serves nicely and volleys ok.

Enjoy!

Cesare 10-25-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 5144177)
Hmm, that reminds me - I got a 95 recently - must take it out for a spin tomorrow. I agree about the paint job - stunning!

truly a masterpiece! one of the best i've ever seen, along with the rd 7 and the rdx 500, not to mention about the Rd ti 70, that Ferrari red(sorry, i'm italian) was very hot!

Virginia 10-25-2010 10:02 PM

I think the 90 version used to be Hewitt's stick, didn't it? Maybe still is?

N23 10-26-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 5143518)

Great find.

haha... "window". Love it. Back in 95ish that was the pimp. Now almost all racquets, show the braid. Would love for someone to NOT paint a racquet and leave the braid showing. That would sell.

Dino Lagaffe 10-26-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesare (Post 5145046)
The great Dino, how are you doin'? you know, in this period i'm very happy with my old Volkl C10 Comp mid. underrated racquet, and probably the best Volkl mid ever, at least for my game. in this one, i have the x-one biphase 17, and it works so great, but i think i'm going to follow your string suggestions for my new frame.

Great, thanks.

Amen to your assessment of the C10 Comp mid, it's indeed a great stick! I hybrided mine, using nat gut/multi. Can't remember which strings exactly, it's been a few years since I played it. That's the downside of having hundreds of racquets and playing sparingly...

Dino Lagaffe 11-02-2010 01:14 PM

Cesare, have you had a chance to string the SRD 95 up yet? Which string and tension did you go for? How did it play?

Cesare 11-02-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 5159579)
Cesare, have you had a chance to string the SRD 95 up yet? Which string and tension did you go for? How did it play?

Dino,yes. i've strung the srd 95 two times.First, with my usual tecnifibre set up: black code 17 at 22,5 kg mains, x-one biphase 17 at 24,5 crosses. it doesn't work well, then i've soon cut it off. Second time, i went with the tecnifibre Nrg2 17 full bed, 24 mains, 23 crosses. Overall a great string, Imho. the racquet now hits very solid groundstrokes, with depth and accuracy. i also like very much the serve and volley with this stick. backhands are just like heaven. But in this very moment nothing can take me away from my 3 volkl c 10 comp mids. i'm just so in love with that german masterpiece..

Cesare 11-03-2010 05:12 AM

Dino, would you please post a picture, if it's possible, of your Volkl c7 comp mid?taking a look to your Rdc Log, i notice that you own one. I've never seen that frame.Thank you so much.

Dino Lagaffe 11-03-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesare (Post 5160608)
Dino, would you please post a picture, if it's possible, of your Volkl c7 comp mid?taking a look to your Rdc Log, i notice that you own one. I've never seen that frame.Thank you so much.

I will, but it may take a week or so...

Cesare 11-03-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 5161279)
I will, but it may take a week or so...

Thanks, Dino. It would be great, take your time, no problem!

Dino Lagaffe 11-09-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesare (Post 5160608)

Mission accomplished:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=356220