Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How do you keep the last main tight when stringing in a dropweight? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=355091)

THESEXPISTOL 10-31-2010 04:32 PM

How do you keep the last main tight when stringing in a dropweight?

I mean.. If i'm stringing the mains at let's say 22kgs i will change the tension to 24kgs on the last two mains of each side. But even when i do that the last main is very loose. I keep the knots tight.

lionel_101 10-31-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 5156135)

I mean.. If i'm stringing the mains at let's say 22kgs i will change the tension to 24kgs on the last two mains of each side. But even when i do that the last main is very loose. I keep the knots tight.

The last mains on both sides of the racquet will feel looser then those in the middle of the racquet, no matter what you do or what kind of stringing machine you have.

Edit ....

I assumed the OP knows how to tie a proper tie off knot and how to cinch it up. Still, no matter how hard you try to cinch it up, the last main string will feel looser compared to those in the middle of the racquet.

technoob10 10-31-2010 06:05 PM

you can try using a Cam action clamp and an awl, drakulie posted a video on how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDwAnjSYcxQ

coachrick 10-31-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

It's not the knot :) , it's the slack between the knot and the clamp that must be addressed. The rocking/pulling motion, done very carefully, is the way to cinch the string.

I'd be WAY careful using an awl. Most grommets aren't designed to hold two strings and a sharp piece of metal ;) .

SoBad 10-31-2010 08:17 PM

Press the string against the frame with your thumb as you start the knot, to minimise slack.

ryanhoku 10-31-2010 08:34 PM

[quote=coachrick;5156447]It's not the knot :) , it's the slack between the knot and the clamp that must be addressed. The rocking/pulling motion, done very carefully, is the way to cinch the string.

I agree with the above statement completely. I also used to have a problem with the final mains being rather loose until I got better at tying off the knot to cinch the string tighter. The following video really helped me out. At about the 30 second mark he shows how to cinch the knot which tightens the last main. I owe the video author a big thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mr10sStr.../1/G_IzoGUSbmg

Rod

Irvin 11-01-2010 02:13 AM

The last main is going to have less tension because of two reason. First because of the drawback when the tension head is removed and second because of the untensioned string between the knot and the clamp. If you are using two piece stringing there is not much you can do about either but if you are stringing one piece there is a lot you can do. Never tie off a main string.

If you use the short side to run the top cross the mains strings will hold the clamp in place better and you will have less drawback when the tension head is removed. If you are using a drop weight you will more than likely be using floating clamps and the twisting action causes more problems. Also if you tie off the top cross you will have a shorter distance between the clamp and the knot so you will have less drawback.

To tie off the top cross it is easier if you have a starting clamp. Use the short side to run the first cross and hold it with a starting clamp on the outside of the frame. Now use the long side string to run the second cross and use the clamp that was holding the short side to clamp the second cross. Tension the top cross again and remove the starting clmap then use the clamp from the long side to hole the top cross. Tie off the top cross and continue to string your crosses.

If you have a racket where the mains end in the throat no problem. Use an ATW pattern. String all but the two outside mains using the short side to run the second cross, and the long side to run the third cross. Make sure you skip over the grommet holes for the two outside mains. String the crosses all the way down to the outside main grommet holes. Then run the outside main up, top cross over, and outside main down. Weave the remaining crosses and tiw off.

The outside mains will always feel looser because there is nothing outside them to deflect the crosses to hold the outside mains in.

Irvin

struggle 11-01-2010 02:15 PM

also, there is only one other main next to the last main, as opposed to it
being pinched between two mains (the cross weaving makes the mains tighter).
granted it is near the edge of the frame, but isn't weaved between two mains, thus it feels looser and will move toward the frame more easily than the other strings move (mains).

i hope that made sense..

Irvin 11-01-2010 02:19 PM

That is what I tried to say.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 5156699)
The outside mains will always feel looser because there is nothing outside them to deflect the crosses to hold the outside mains in...

I do not worry about the outside mains moving because I can confidently explain why they move to my customers.

Irvin

struggle 11-01-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 5157937)
That is what I tried to say.

I do not worry about the outside mains moving because I can confidently explain why they move to my customers.

Irvin

didn't catch that and yeah, i don't worry about it either as it's easily explainable especially in physical setting.

topanlego 11-02-2010 11:24 AM

On some racquets you can string the outside main first and the string the 2nd last main. That way, any tension loss will be on the 2nd main in so they won't notice.

Irvin 11-02-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

'thesexpistol' I think some of us are confused. I assumed since you had a dropweight you had flying clamps and the twisting action causes you to lose tension on the outside main along with the normal drawback. Why are you losing tension on the outside main?

Irvin

THESEXPISTOL 11-02-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 5159500)
'thesexpistol' I think some of us are confused. I assumed since you had a dropweight you had flying clamps and the twisting action causes you to lose tension on the outside main along with the normal drawback. Why are you losing tension on the outside main?

Irvin

Hi Irvin,
My dropweight has fixed clamps. I'm increasing tension in the outside mains not losening

Irvin 11-02-2010 02:12 PM

^^ Then see post #7

Irvin

THESEXPISTOL 11-02-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 5159801)
^^ Then see post #7

Irvin

Thank you a lot. I will try ATW next time.

dgdawg 11-02-2010 04:32 PM

I didn't read all these posts, but another big reason the outside M's & X's are more loose is because there is no resistance from an opposing M or X.
THIS...is in addition to the knot tying technique and the slack in the string.