Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Prince Power Pro 90 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=355221)

technoob10 11-01-2010 07:47 PM

Prince Power Pro 90

I hit with this stick today and my shots were pretty off. It felt wobbly when I hit the ball and there was hardly any pop. I was wondering if any of you guys that use this stick did any modifications to it like lead or something. So far i only put a leather grip on it, strung it up with the 361nation string in the M and gosen og micro in the crosses at 60/62.

Thanks

kul 11-05-2010 05:36 AM

I rediscovered the ppp90 about a year ago, and it's since become my primary stick (only stick really; I have several). I also regripped with leather; otherwise, it's stock (no lead). I like the old school weight and headlight balance, and the 14 mains are great for high rpms (and really fast string jobs)

However, i think the real notable characteristic on the power pro is the flex. I'm coming from the old Wilson 6.1 classic, and both groundstrokes and volleys had given me fits as I adjusted to the super flexy power pro. (elbow problems forced me to give up my 6.1).
I use MSV focus hex or similar in the mains and nylon in the crosses (mid 50s)

No doubt about it, the power pro is *not* powerful, but I love its sweet sweet feel. And so does my elbow.

However, if it makes you feel better, I've let a number of friends give it a test drive, and not a single person has even remotely enjoyed hitting with it.

coachrick 11-05-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kul (Post 5164622)
I rediscovered the ppp90 about a year ago, and it's since become my primary stick (only stick really; I have several). I also regripped with leather; otherwise, it's stock (no lead). I like the old school weight and headlight balance, and the 14 mains are great for high rpms (and really fast string jobs)

However, i think the real notable characteristic on the power pro is the flex. I'm coming from the old Wilson 6.1 classic, and both groundstrokes and volleys had given me fits as I adjusted to the super flexy power pro. (elbow problems forced me to give up my 6.1).
I use MSV focus hex or similar in the mains and nylon in the crosses (mid 50s)

No doubt about it, the power pro is *not* powerful, but I love its sweet sweet feel. And so does my elbow.

However, if it makes you feel better, I've let a number of friends give it a test drive, and not a single person has even remotely enjoyed hitting with it.

Howdy neighbor! We sold a ton of the Power Pro model, usually because of price. The Graphite Pro was also a good seller at a higher price point.

Never cared for the grommets in the Power Pro...even new, they discolored and split, especially in the corners--of course. I think Prince even used cheaper trim tape on the PPP--started unsticking while hanging on the peg!

The string pattern made for a speedy string job, that's for sure! :)

MichaelChang 11-05-2010 09:21 AM

Have 2 of these, yes very flex. hit them from time to time, with the PK Copper Ace which is also super flex. They are powerless rackets. They are good in tuning your footwork and your form, and very friendly to your arm, but not for your serious match play.

mad dog1 11-05-2010 10:02 AM

OP, most of the vintage flexy mids are low powered so i string all mine pretty low in tension. w/ syn gut i usually string around 48-54 depending on the type of machine. i stay in the low end of the spectrum w/ a CP and on the high end w/ a crank. when strung in the 60s, the sweet spot becomes tiny and you need great technique and a ton of racquet head speed to generate any power. maybe try stringing it lower and see if you like it better. don't know how it'll work w/ the power pro since i don't have any experience w/ this stick.

retrowagen 11-05-2010 10:20 AM

IIRC, this was Prince's cheapest full-composite (meaning, including throat bridge) frame for the North American and European markets from the late 80's. It was engineered down to a price, and very, very flexy... it was designed for recreational players. I remember hitting with them when new, and the floppy feel really turned me off.

There's "Good Flex" and "Bad Flex" among tennis racquets, and the Power Pro was one model I thought exemplified "Bad Flex," where its vibration shedding characteristic was that of low frequency (which is the good, non-buzzy, quick dissipation of the hit), but high amplitude (which is the rather unpleasant big initial recoil shock). The energy of the hit always dissipates in a compromise between amplitude and frequency, and they are usually inversely proportionate between each other and are, in broadest consideration, tied to the stiffness of the frame.

kul 11-05-2010 11:52 AM

And howdy to you too, Coachrick!

Guess there's not a whole lotta love for the Power Pro, eh?
I used these in highschool, and i'm certain the price point was a big factor in my decision to purchase. (don't recall any grommet issues). I do remember cracking a few though (mostly due to a bad teenage temper).
Apparently, i played with them long enough to groove some strokes or something, because they are really comfortable to me now. I seem to recall a nice review in Tennis magazine too, but that could be my imagination.

I can't say I've ever thought about rackets being "recreational" or not. I played with a lot of lower priced Pro Kennex rackets too. In fact the most expensive rackets i've ever played are the Wilson 6.1 classics, and that's only because they were free when i played in college. To each his own.

technoob10 11-05-2010 06:06 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm gonna try restringing it in the 50s with full poly or full synthetic, hopefully it'll give me more pop.

mad dog1 11-05-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by technoob10 (Post 5166011)
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm gonna try restringing it in the 50s with full poly or full synthetic, hopefully it'll give me more pop.

if you go full poly, i would recommend 45-50 if it's being strung w/ a crank machine. 40-45 w/ a constant pull. i might even go lower say 35-40 w/ a CP.

if you go full syn gut, i would recommend 50-55 on a crank and 45-50 w/ a constant pull.

kul 11-16-2010 08:30 PM

Any luck with your new setup technoob10?

sshah3 02-13-2011 09:09 AM

Since we're talking about the Prince Power Pro 90, does anyone know the specs for this racquet? I just picked one up at a yard sale and I was curious to know. It looks like it came out of the Prince Graphite mold. Thanks to anyone that might be able to give me the specs.

kul 02-14-2011 08:25 AM

Not sure if this is right, but i came across these specs via some googling about a year ago:

Prince Power Pro 90
Weight - 355/12.4
Flexibility – 53
Swingweight – 330
String – 14/18

TheLambsheadrep 09-03-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kul (Post 5421056)
Not sure if this is right, but i came across these specs via some googling about a year ago:

Prince Power Pro 90
Weight - 355/12.4
Flexibility 53
Swingweight 330
String 14/18

See, I just got one of these at PIA sports and those stock specs sound pretty good to me. Is the flex really that much of a factor to negate the other good specs and make the stick go from players racquet to the likes of a tweener?