Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 Review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=359562)

XFactorer 12-05-2010 12:03 AM

Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 Review

Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125

Sometimes I try new strings and I just cut them out because they’re not my cup of tea. Other times I just play with them because they don’t bother me. With the Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 (PTGP125), I had a slightly above-average mild-interest.

One the little graph where the axes determined soft/hard and durability/response, Yonex placed the the string in the hard/durability quadrant. With that being predetermined, I opted to string the PTGP125 at 55 pounds, down from my normal 60 pounds that I use for everything else in my Yonex RDiS 200 (not the lite one). Before we go anything further, I am obligated to disclose that I am under a contract with Yonex -- I buy everything they put out and giggle about it while my wallet quickly empties.

The stringing process for me usual starts with a quick flex of the tangled 40 feet. My sophisticated manual tests indicated that the string was not as firm as I had originally thought, but I still stuck with the 55 pounds. Other strings that seem stiffer include, but are not limited to, 361 Nation, Kirschbaum SuperSmash, Gosen Polylon Ice. Designated “soft polys” on my list are Topspin Concept Pure and Cyber Blue, PolyStar Energy.

Stringing the racquet really was the standard laborious 16 mains, 19 dreadful crosses, which is true for any poly that I have to string. Coil memory was about the same as a Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power. Tying off knots did seem to be a little less easy only because the string would kink on itself. I use the “double loop, pull through technique,” if any of you also refer to it as that.

In one word, performance of the string was “amusing.”

Groundstrokes felt muted with a pop. I can’t tell if the pop came from the lower tension of the string itself. I’m used to the energetic pop from a PolyStar Energy or the controlled pop from a Topspin Concept Pure. The Poly Tour Pro 125 had the power, but lacked a touchy sort of feeling. It had more of the hitting-with-a-board feeling which some people enjoy. I didn’t particularly enjoy nor hate the sensation of the ball flying off the string bed. To each his own.

Volleying is my Achille’s heel. Well, one of my many Achille’s heels. The pop from the string bed did not help my game any. I remember floating a lot of balls long, but, on the positive side, I actually did get a racquet on the ball and got the ball over the net. So no complaining from me. But I can’t add much more to this area.

Serving with the strings seemed pretty bland. Nothing stood out, nothing irked me except my bum shoulder. But that isn’t a string issue.

Having played a week with the string, the tension remains just fine. Nothing feels to be loosening up nor do I have the “dead” feeling as I do around the one-week mark with PolyStar Energy. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the string is the color which Yonex rightfully calls Optic Yellow. Indoors the string is bright and noticeable. But in outdoor lighting, the color pops vibrantly. Stencil on a Yonex logo and I feel like it’s cosmetically delightful.

At $9 a pop, I really can't complain about this string. The performance is nothing to scoff at but also nothing special. Yes, the dullness of the power is something I have not encountered. And, yes, I’m intrigued. I do plan on trying some more out in the future with different hybrid set ups (plan on trying PTGP125 mains with Cyber Blue crosses, Concept Pure Crosses, maybe 361 Nation crosses. Also Cyber Blue, PolyStart Energy mains with PTGP125 crosses).

As TW says after every racquet review, “we recommend you demo this one.”

XFactorer 12-05-2010 12:08 AM

This one's for you, Buckethead (and TW Community).

Supplementary info:

I'm a 4.0 player at heart but USTA bumped me to 4.5.
Playing style - Baseliner trying to learn to volley.
Semi-western grip, stronger on BH side.

Buckethead 12-05-2010 06:23 AM

Thanks Xfactorer.
What about the spin production?

XFactorer 12-05-2010 01:06 PM

I don't believe strings have much of an affect on spin, thus I don't say "Oh, I can spin things in with this string!" because I can "spin" things in with any string. My view is that spin comes from the user and not the string.

1st Seed 12-05-2010 01:54 PM

I have a few packs in storage im gonna use as a cross with Tonic mains in my Redondo Mid.Like X said 8 bones a pack for sure worth a try Yonex really pumps out quality IMO.On the packing X did you notice they mentioned it was still surpressing to the joints?.How soft did it play?You also mentioned a muted feel did it play like a dampned string bed, ala Rip control?I hoping its plays like a softer Alu P 125.WHat are you stringing on?How stretchy was it during stringing?
Eh thanks for that review now im itchin to test.There must be no mistaken this string when you see it.Really glows.All my Maria lovers will know instantly at my club.AH Maria!
Take Care.

XFactorer 12-05-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st Seed (Post 5239388)
I have a few packs in storage im gonna use as a cross with Tonic mains in my Redondo Mid.Like X said 8 bones a pack for sure worth a try Yonex really pumps out quality IMO.On the packing X did you notice they mentioned it was still surpressing to the joints?.How soft did it play?You also mentioned a muted feel did it play like a dampned string bed, ala Rip control?I hoping its plays like a softer Alu P 125.WHat are you stringing on?How stretchy was it during stringing?
Eh thanks for that review now im itchin to test.There must be no mistaken this string when you see it.Really glows.All my Maria lovers will know instantly at my club.AH Maria!
Take Care.

Not that stretchy. Strung on a Game X-6 or something like that (not my stringer) with crank.

Played soft enough for my tastes, probably just slightly more stiff than a nice fresh bed of ALU Power, but not significantly more. I've actually never played ALU Power in my 200, but it was my go-to string in my RQiS 1 Tour. I'd done M2 Pro in the 200 but I don't remember really how that played compared to the PTGP125.

It's by no means a soft poly. But it didn't really feel like a board like some polys can (Kirschbaum, Gosen strings that I mentioned in my review). I don't have tennis elbow right now because of it.

Preston 12-06-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFactorer (Post 5239400)
Not that stretchy. Strung on a Game X-6 or something like that (not my stringer) with crank.

Played soft enough for my tastes, probably just slightly more stiff than a nice fresh bed of ALU Power, but not significantly more. I've actually never played ALU Power in my 200, but it was my go-to string in my RQiS 1 Tour. I'd done M2 Pro in the 200 but I don't remember really how that played compared to the PTGP125.

It's by no means a soft poly. But it didn't really feel like a board like some polys can (Kirschbaum, Gosen strings that I mentioned in my review). I don't have tennis elbow right now because of it.

Thanks for the review. You make the string sound just okay, so I probably won't try it.

You strung it on the Gamma X-ST. :)

XFactorer 12-06-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston (Post 5240928)
Thanks for the review. You make the string sound just okay, so I probably won't try it.

You strung it on the Gamma X-ST. :)

The string is what is it. It's just "OK." But it's OK-enough that I want to try more.

coolblue123 12-07-2010 10:57 AM

I hope Poly 125 is not the same as Tough Brid (TB). Playing with TB was like hitting with a washboard! The only feel in them strings were the pain in my elbow.

XFactorer 12-07-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolblue123 (Post 5243155)
I hope Poly 125 is not the same as Tough Brid (TB). Playing with TB was like hitting with a washboard! The only feel in them strings were the pain in my elbow.

Most likely not. It's on the softer side of hard... if that means anything to you.

Tennis_Crazed 12-08-2010 09:04 AM

Hows the durability on the string? I've had lots of issues with Yonex strings breaking very quickly. If you could compare durability against something more well known. Thanks

XFactorer 12-10-2010 12:29 AM

I didn't break it in my 1 week with the string. It wasn't even close to breaking, either. Notched, yes, but not significantly.

Torres 06-15-2012 01:43 PM

Yonex Poly Tour Pro (RSI):

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com...our_pro_1.html

Price is very good. Color is amazing.

mikeler 06-15-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6635414)
Yonex Poly Tour Pro (RSI):

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com...our_pro_1.html

Price is very good. Color is amazing.

A friend of mine just had his Exo Tour strung up with it this morning. I bounced a few balls off it and thought it was a multi. He said it was full poly strung at 45. I know the Exo Tour is the holy grail of arm friendly rackets so maybe that had something to do with it.

finalfantasy7 06-15-2012 05:09 PM

good read, wated to know about this string, on stringforum its got very good all rounds stats

what other string would you compare this to?

Torres 06-16-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6635764)
A friend of mine just had his Exo Tour strung up with it this morning. I bounced a few balls off it and thought it was a multi. He said it was full poly strung at 45. I know the Exo Tour is the holy grail of arm friendly rackets so maybe that had something to do with it.

RSI say that the 16 gauge has a stiffness rating of 216 at their standard 60lbs testing tension. That stiffness is 10% less than 17 gauge BHBR which I consider to be a pretty comfortable, springy poly, particularly in 17 gauge. At your friend's 45lbs for the Yonex, stiffness is going to be even lower, so it all sounds good from an arm point of view.

I've just ordered a reel (love the crazy color), along with a reel of Genesis Black Magic. Have ordered completely 'blind' without playing with either of them, but in reel form, they seem too good value to pass up.

TenFanLA 06-22-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6637169)
RSI say that the 16 gauge has a stiffness rating of 216 at their standard 60lbs testing tension. That stiffness is 10% less than 17 gauge BHBR which I consider to be a pretty comfortable, springy poly, particularly in 17 gauge. At your friend's 45lbs for the Yonex, stiffness is going to be even lower, so it all sounds good from an arm point of view.

I've just ordered a reel (love the crazy color), along with a reel of Genesis Black Magic. Have ordered completely 'blind' without playing with either of them, but in reel form, they seem too good value to pass up.

Have you hit with this yet? It has shot up to the top of the overall chart on stringforum.net which is hit and miss. Also how do you get a reel in US?

chaddles 06-24-2012 02:31 AM

The Pro & the HS are 2 of the best strings released in the last couple of years. The feel for a poly is brilliant, and just does everything really well. Gave it a good run today in a BLX Blade 98 and forgot the great comfort & nice power it gives, especially when you really rip into a top spin down the line shot.

The main difference I found between the HS & Pro was the HS was a slightly firmer feeling string but played pretty similar.

syke 06-24-2012 02:41 AM

Yes the Pro is soft and great for the arm. Tension maintenance is pretty good as well. The highlight of this string is the bright yellow color, simply awesome.

My favourite string in this price range is still the Yonex PolyTour Spin. Beats all the different MSV CoF strings I have tried, with the exception of the smooth coating and possibly tension maintenance.

YesTennis 06-24-2012 05:16 AM

Do you think it's soft enough to use full bed or would it be best to hybrid? I'm looking to use a soft poly/co-poly for the first time, but don't want to develop elbow problems.