Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Opinions please (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=360269)

TennisCanada1 12-11-2010 07:40 AM

Opinions please

Ntrp or any comments welcome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlTmSc2TquQ

Larrysümmers 12-11-2010 07:47 AM

it is really hard to tell. i mean you were just hitting. NTRP is determined by your results at a certain level. i mean ive seen guys who patty cake the ball play at 5.0 and ive seen people who have strokes like fed but play at the 3.5. so it is really hard to tell

TennisCanada1 12-11-2010 07:48 AM

Oh I see, il get a video of points too

Larrysümmers 12-11-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCanada1 (Post 5250112)
Oh I see, il get a video of points too

well i mean its not that, a better understanding would be whats your national/sectional ranking, that would be a better tool to use than the video.

LeeD 12-11-2010 08:01 AM

Obviously you are a top level trained athlete in good shape and molded.
Would like to see some more variety on forehands, more pure flat winner shots once in a while. Seems most of your forehands "float" in, whether you hit them high over the net or low. Maybe once every 7 or so, really flatten it out, end the rally with a clean powerful winner, so the next rally can start with a new ball, showing your ability to put the ball away on your demand.
Volleys are kind of mechanical, forehand being more solid, backhand needing more longer followthru every time since it can't be punched hard like a forehand volley, it needs a longer stroke with full shoulder turn.
Serves are your style, just fine, with decent explosion and rackethead speed, nice high elbow finish, consistent, deliberate setup, all good.
Good overheads, mostly 3/4 speed, need to show backhand overheads?
Very good player probably playing higher singles in lower divisions.
Seems you're smarter than the average bear.

dozu 12-11-2010 08:10 AM

you certainly have the tools to compete at the 4.5 level.... strokes are all fundamentally sound.

the biggest thing I see is you are stiff with your ground strokes... you seem to use the arm muscle make the racket drop, and the forward swing see your arm being a little stiff also.

watch the pros, e.g. Fed, how they use gravity to let the racket drop happen with a noodle like relaxed arm, which they can then whip thru with the core rotation.

the loose arm is not only for better power (free racket acceleration from mother nature - gravity), but also consistency, because it's always easier to give a little nudge to something that is already moving by itself (gravity driven racket/arm drop), then to use the muscle to move something that is stiff and static.

I hope that makes sense... but if you can pay attention to this during your practice, you will understand what relaxation feels like.

interestingly, this stiffness actually makes your volley better than your groundies..... but with improvement you should feel the difference between a loose arm for groundies, vs. stiff (or less loose) arm for volleys

Limpinhitter 12-11-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCanada1 (Post 5250095)
Ntrp or any comments welcome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlTmSc2TquQ

I'm impressed with how steady you and your hitting partner are. You were keeping those cross court rallies going very well. Footwork is good but seems a little heavy. You could be a little lighter on your feet. From your hitting alone, I'd say you're at least a 4.5. But, you could be higher or lower depending on how well your shots hold up in match play. Your serve is good. 2 things I would add to your serve are: (1) more shoulder turn in the trophy pose (get your back turned more to the target), and (2) wait until you are ready for your upswing to transfer your weight into the court. By transferring your weight AS you swing up at the ball, the weight transfer adds body mass and power to your shot.

USERNAME 12-11-2010 11:39 AM

Need to flow more especially on the fh side. Your robbing yourself of power by having those hitches. Try to move through the ball more on the fh as well, you backed up alot.

pushing_wins 12-11-2010 12:04 PM

davisville / mayfair 5.5-6.0

Stiver 12-11-2010 07:23 PM

You guys are incredibly consistent.

5263 12-12-2010 05:23 AM

Could be a very good 4.5 or a weak 4.0 depending on how you compete.

You looked well trained and coached, but like you have not done it too long. You seem like a guy who has not played his best tennis yet, which I think is good!
You should be a fit for the right level team.

canuckfan 12-12-2010 01:03 PM

Easily 4.5, possibly up to 5.0-5.5 depending on matchplay execution, mental toughness, and the ability to win big points that is hard to define. And, it looks like you are still improving.

Anything less than 4.5 is quite ridiculous. 4.0's and 3.5's look nothing like this. People throwing those numbers around simply don't know what they're looking at.

Ownstroy 12-12-2010 01:20 PM

wow-this is like watching myself in high school...we have very similar strokes...all extremely similar except serve. i hit with a lot more spin, heavy kicker and heavy slice.

your game looks good man, show us some match play so we can see some 2nd serves and how you perform under pressure...you have a ton of potential, D2 probably, wouldn't say D1 here in the US though.

try to work hard on the backhand volley...it looks like something that could be picked on...other than that and working even more on footwork-you're doing great!

CrispyFritters 12-14-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckfan (Post 5251896)
Easily 4.5, possibly up to 5.0-5.5 depending on matchplay execution, mental toughness, and the ability to win big points that is hard to define. And, it looks like you are still improving.

Anything less than 4.5 is quite ridiculous. 4.0's and 3.5's look nothing like this. People throwing those numbers around simply don't know what they're looking at.

I agree with canuck. Easily 4.5+

CrispyFritters 12-14-2010 03:43 PM

Also wanted add. I think you'll have no problem getting a scholarship. Good luck and kudos on wanting to be a student athlete.

enishi1357 12-15-2010 12:52 AM

very good. u are good as u are but i would suggest being less stiff if u wanna reach world pros level. then again who knows

TennisCanada1 01-12-2011 04:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
Heres a video of matchplay against a player that is ranked number 3 in all of Canada.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A82IwJVeBOI
I lost 6-4. The video recorder battery died so this is some of the set.

spacediver 01-12-2011 04:58 PM

match play video says you're born in 2993 :p

TennisCanada1 01-12-2011 05:08 PM

I know, my coach made a typo haha.

TennisTech 01-12-2011 05:11 PM

Just as I suspected from the first video, I was going to say you'll have a hard time hitting balls back when it's hit hard and fast and it looked like that in the 2nd video of you playing the match.

Really need to smooth out that hitch and if you do, your footwork is pretty good so you'll improve a lot.
I can't say about the NTRP... I think you're 6.0 since I've seen a lot of older players in the 40-50's say that they are 5.5 but are no where near your level.