Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My strokes on camera (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=360883)

tennis_balla 12-17-2010 12:47 PM

My strokes on camera

So I haven't video taped myself in a while and thought it was about time. Surprised I still recognized myself :p
Its a tough call, considering Top 200 players are rated 4.0 on TW Forums so I'm putting myself no higher then 2.5 though I'm hoping to make that 3.0 milestone soon and start making some money on the Futures circuit :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_840isSsI

Update:

Added a short serving video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3oXjiBv5J4

Djokovicfan4life 12-17-2010 12:54 PM

Great consistency.

You look a little "straight up" on your forehand, and you don't always get your weight into it. Are you using a continental grip for the backhand? I ask because your topspin backswing almost looks like you're going to slice, not that that's a bad thing.

arche3 12-17-2010 01:04 PM

Id say 3.5 at most. Lol. backhand is nice. I love the way you hit that. I approve of your tennis video. I can't say ntrp because your form is great. No issues from me just looking. So you could be as high as a pro or as low as 4.0. Depends on match play. Im the same way. I look good playing but sometimes my games don't score the same. I remember one juniors match when everyone was watching.. I think it was a country club in irvine california. I looked freakin amazi.g. I crushed everything. But I got double bagels from some kid with ugly strokes. Peope were like wtf? I pretty much was utterly crushed mentally after that for a long time.

danno123 12-17-2010 01:07 PM

Wow. Very nice strokes.

Your strokes are just like mine only I hit a lot more balls into the net . . . and out . . . and a whole lot slower. :)

dozu 12-17-2010 01:07 PM

great stuff

your partner aint bad either.

LeeD 12-17-2010 01:12 PM

Another ringer in our midst.
Hope you do good in Q's and Opens.
Don't let your forehand let you down.

tes 12-17-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 5261600)
So I haven't video taped myself in a while and thought it was about time. Surprised I still recognized myself :p
Its a tough call, considering Top 200 players are rated 4.0 on TW Forums so I'm putting myself no higher then 2.5 though I'm hoping to make that 3.0 milestone soon and start making some money on the Futures circuit :mrgreen:

I detect an occaisonal inconsistant seperation of the fingers of your left hand when you hit through your backhand. Sometimes the index finger lifts ever so slightly more than the others. Work on correcting this and you are sure to be a solid 3.5 within 2 years.

Sheeesh...wish I could hit like that.

forthegame 12-17-2010 03:16 PM

Bravo!

Consistency++++

I can only dream.

aimr75 12-17-2010 03:30 PM

Great strokes balla, thanks for posting

joesucks 12-17-2010 04:05 PM

dude, you are awesome!

Dreamer 12-17-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 5261600)

I remember you. Great job, All the problems I saw before are not there anymore. Very stable. Your technique is several times better.
Always great to see progress.

I think you need to develop the backhand a bit more. It should be more focused on shoulder and legs. It's almost there, but right now it has a bit too much arm for my liking. The looser arm and stronger use of shoulder/leg to drive the shot will give you more top spin potential.

edit: oh and footwork needs to be sped up a bit. I understand it's a low intensity rally, but even though try to keep up your speed. Slow can become a habit. A lot of the issues can be fixed if you give yourself more time. Both in preparation and recovery.

Dreamer 12-17-2010 04:34 PM

^Sorry. Actually I don't remember you. It was another person.

Well geez. No wonder you're so much better haha.

tennis_balla 12-17-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer (Post 5261971)
I remember you. Great job, All the problems I saw before are not there anymore. Very stable. Your technique is several times better.
Always great to see progress.

I think you need to develop the backhand a bit more. It should be more focused on shoulder and legs. It's almost there, but right now it has a bit too much arm for my liking. The looser arm and stronger use of shoulder/leg to drive the shot will give you more top spin potential.

edit: oh and footwork needs to be sped up a bit. I understand it's a low intensity rally, but even though try to keep up your speed. Slow can become a habit. A lot of the issues can be fixed if you give yourself more time. Both in preparation and recovery.

I think you're mistaking me with someone else. I've never asked for help on here nor have I been working on anything in my game. I actually haven't been playing much, maybe 2-3x a week when I'm lucky because of coaching mainly and the last time I posted a video of myself here was over 2 years ago. :confused:

Edit:

haha yea I was wondering, no problem. ;)

SStrikerR 12-17-2010 04:49 PM

Your strokes look great, nice spin and pace. All you really need to work on is footwork. Once you get to where the ball is, you stop moving pretty much, If you took some little steps you could get a little better positioning, which would help you hit more accurately, by reducing awkward shots.

jdubbs 12-17-2010 05:18 PM

I'd like to see some match play, but at this point I would put you at 4.5 to 5.5. Really nice strokes, I'm not sure how much advice you need!

PeterFig 12-17-2010 05:40 PM

Just lovely! :)

Very nice strokes. They are smooth and uncomplicated. That's a great thing.
Thanks for posting. Gives me some inspiration!

WildVolley 12-17-2010 06:59 PM

3.5 at best. My little sister could beat you and she doesn't play tennis.

Tennis Balla, you clearly don't know how to play this game. You're supposed to show a five second clip taken by someone shaking a camera phone up and down. In that clip, you'll hit a backhand into the net and another ball long. People will rate you a 3.0 at best and then you can feign outrage at their idiocy.

When you show a clip in which you are hitting more consistently than Nadal warming up, it makes it hard for us to honestly claim it looks like you don't know how to play tennis.

Do you play college tennis?

Consolation 12-17-2010 07:21 PM

If you play like you hit, I suspect you'd settle as a mid 5.0. You're consistency alone is enough to get you by pretty much any true 4.5. But...you're too inconsistent with your preparation and footwork to be beyond that. I suspect you probably play 5.0/open events and win matches here and there, but never end up winning. You have great strokes and a nice natural swing, but even on 1-2 step shots you're often late and off balance. Your reaction and first step is good, but then you're lazy. That suggests you've been there before, but for whatever reason lack motivation now. You look like a lot of former high level college players I hit with that have moved on and are in limbo land. They have the strokes and muscle memory to be much better than they are, but have lost the motivation to do what it takes to play to their ability.

If you were drunk, really tired, etc, during the video, you could easily be a competitive 5.5+ with those strokes, but honestly, I've never seen someone whose lazy/slow in casual hitting actually be consistently aggressive with their balance and movement when playing for real.

tennis_balla 12-17-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 5262183)
3.5 at best. My little sister could beat you and she doesn't play tennis.

Tennis Balla, you clearly don't know how to play this game. You're supposed to show a five second clip taken by someone shaking a camera phone up and down. In that clip, you'll hit a backhand into the net and another ball long. People will rate you a 3.0 at best and then you can feign outrage at their idiocy.

When you show a clip in which you are hitting more consistently than Nadal warming up, it makes it hard for us to honestly claim it looks like you don't know how to play tennis.

Do you play college tennis?

Yea sorry I don't yet understand the concept of editing my clips to show only the good parts. Will try harder next time.

I'm too old for college, turned 30 in September :shock:

MNPlayer 12-17-2010 07:31 PM

Very nice strokes. Your practice partner also seems very consistent, it would actually be interesting to see you handle more short balls. He's hitting so consistently deep.