Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Winter Tennis...what to wear? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=361749)

Colebob 12-26-2010 08:34 PM

Winter Tennis...what to wear?

Hi all,
What do you wear on top for winter tennis? I play indoors (Seattle) but it is sometimes still a little cold and I have old joints :-).

T-shirt and Sweatshirt?

Long sleeve T shirt?

Long sleeve T shirt with short sleeve T shirt on top?

Some sort of Under Armour?

Thanks!

Colebob

djNEiGht 12-26-2010 09:40 PM

Top-some sort of base layer most of the time and your typical sport sweat wicking shirt

Bottom-if I ride to the courts I'll keep my cycling shorts on other wise my baseball Lycra undies with out the sliding guard/pad type and ur standard shorts

When it gets cold I put on and wear over the above

Top-sweater,wind breaker or a long sleeve tshirt or some arm warmers
Bottom-break/tear away warm ups or some other type of jogging pants

I like that I have layers to peel off when I'm warmed up. Jogging gear seems to be best since it's not baggy like basketball gear but I wear what ever is clean.

Speed Kat 12-29-2010 09:39 AM

two tshirts.. can t play with long sleeves althogh have seen so many ppl do it.. just doesnt feel comfortable

samurai13 12-29-2010 09:47 AM

Classy sweater

BobFL 12-29-2010 09:50 AM

Just get UA Coldgear stuff. There is nothing better imho...

i suck at tennis 12-29-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobFL (Post 5281565)
Just get UA Coldgear stuff. There is nothing better imho...

+1... I wear a UA Coldgear crew under a regular tshirt and this keeps me plenty warm and dry at the same time, which is very important when playing in cold weather outdoors. If I'm going to be playing in temps below 40 I've got a lightweight UA fleece that I'll wear on top of this combo for added warmth. If I get too toasty with those three layers I'll shed the tshirt and just use the UA crew and fleece.

Hominator 12-29-2010 10:23 AM

I would overheat wearing UA Coldgear while playing indoors. Try wearing layers instead. Maybe a t-shirt with a long-sleeve t-shirt on top, shorts, with running pants over them. Take layers off accordingly.

i suck at tennis 12-29-2010 10:37 AM

Guess I failed to notice the INDOORS part! You definitely wouldn't need UA Coldgear for that

Colebob 12-29-2010 12:05 PM

Thanks all. Good advice. I usually go with a normal cotton T Shirt with a sweatshirt on top...but the sweatshirt is bulky and sometimes too hot...yet the T Shirt is not enough. I do have some UA stuff that I use for golf...maybe I will give that a try? Are there any Tennis specific stuff...like a long sleeve T shirt, but high tech fabric that also keeps dry?

Thanks!

Carolina Racquet 12-29-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colebob (Post 5281817)
Thanks all. Good advice. I usually go with a normal cotton T Shirt with a sweatshirt on top...but the sweatshirt is bulky and sometimes too hot...yet the T Shirt is not enough. I do have some UA stuff that I use for golf...maybe I will give that a try? Are there any Tennis specific stuff...like a long sleeve T shirt, but high tech fabric that also keeps dry?

Thanks!

When I play indoors in the winter I find a lighter weight long-sleeve tech fabric works extremely well. I purchased a number of New Balance long sleeves at a warehouse club that have fit the bill for under $15 a shirt. I wouldn't limit it to "tennis specific" clothes because you'll have fewer choices and higher prices. 99% of tennis clothes (outside of warm-ups) are made for warm weather play.

I'm not a big fan of cotton shirts now, especially when you're dealing with cold weather (either playing outdoors or indoors) because they hold in your sweat and it makes me colder when I stop playing. My 2 cents..

Touch of Grey 12-29-2010 07:42 PM

I like an under armour long sleeve, then a regular t shirt. and then short/sweats and you should be fine

BobFL 12-29-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colebob (Post 5281817)

Thanks!

I can tell you one thing for sure - do not use cotton stuff. Use anything with long sleeves and made of drfit-ish material. Coldgear line is outstanding and UA does offer some heavy-duty cg but they also have some lighter built cg apparel. You should go with the latter...

Colebob 12-30-2010 08:53 AM

Thanks again. Playing tonight...off to Sports Authority at lunch to find some UA Cold Gear. Good timing too...it is 24 degrees out now...which isn't normal in Seattle and the indoor facility where I play is not heated very well at all....

Thanks,

Colebob

TBrady 12-30-2010 09:02 AM

I used to think I couldn't play with a long sleeve shirt or can't move as fast with pants on. I used to get colds and the flu every season.

Now I wear a short sleeve tshirt then a long sleeve shirt over that, a toboggen, and sweat pants. All cotton stuff. This works for me down to 30 degrees. I don't attempt colder temps.

Tyrus 12-30-2010 09:09 AM

What i do:

2 layers

One thin dry fit t shirt under layer.

cotton long sleeve tee over.

If its too warm i can easily lose the top layer, but i agree a sweatshirt is too bulky

If its too cold for the t shirt the long sleeve tee might feel warm, but its a much more pleasant experience.

Alchemy-Z 12-30-2010 09:26 AM

We don't have indoor courts so for the winter season

Hat or toboggan cap if its below 25
Layer 1 Reebok dry fit T shirt
Layer 2 Under armour long sleeve
Layer 3 Short sleeved Nike Dri-fit Crew
Layer 4 Adidas Climate fitted jacket
Wrist bands (on both arms)

Hands:
Latex gloves (hold in all the heat and sweat so you hands never get cold. (old hockey trick)
Racket ball leather glove right hand (hitting hand)
Mechanic glove for my left hand

Boxer Briefs
Cotton long johns
Joe Boxer sweat pants
Nike Dri-fit socks (ankle cut)
second pair of padded hiking socks
Shoes.

I get funny looks but I come from a Hockey background so having agility in a ton of clothing and pads doesn't seem to bother me at all. and I stay warm the whole time and watch my opponents freeze.

also the ball I keep in my jacket pocket warms up pretty fast and makes for one heck of a kicker on my second serve when the rest of the time the balls are quickly going dead in the cold.

andykim5 12-30-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colebob (Post 5283479)
Thanks again. Playing tonight...off to Sports Authority at lunch to find some UA Cold Gear. Good timing too...it is 24 degrees out now...which isn't normal in Seattle and the indoor facility where I play is not heated very well at all....

Thanks,

Colebob

Hey, if you don't me asking, where do you play at? I'm near Seattle, I play at the Ballys in Tacoma across from TCC.

When I play singles, I usually wear a longsleeve shirt with a shortsleeve shirt under. I have this University of Washington UA shirt that works perfectly. And shorts. I can't stand playing in anything other than shorts.

Doubles... Thats trickier. I have this thinner track jacket that has worked for me in the past. It fits tight and isn't as bulky as a sweater but its thicker than just a longsleeve shirt.

Colebob 12-31-2010 12:09 PM

Thanks again all. I tried my Under Armour long sleeve cold gear yesterday with a normal T shirt on top...it was great.

AndyKim...I play in Woodinville...

Thanks,

Colebob

innoVAShaun 01-01-2011 12:52 AM

Don't forget to add the Nike Dri-Fit Radar cap: