Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What do you do for a "Ritual" before serving? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3618)

twocents 04-21-2004 06:50 AM

What do you do for a "Ritual" before serving?

After a long point i tend to lose focus on my serve especially if I made a dumb mistake on the last shot. Any tips to refocus on getting that first serve in? I tried bouncing the ball five times, taking deep breaths, seeing the perfect serve image and using the steps that are supposed to cure the problem but it still doesn't work. :x :x

Max G. 04-21-2004 05:07 PM

I just focus on relaxing my arms. Staying loose, extremely loose. And trying for a safe kick first serve, not a bomb.

dozu 04-22-2004 05:14 AM

I bounce the ball a few times, and visualize where I will serve and where to volley, usually 2 options: serve down the middle and volley behind him, or serve wide out and put away with angle.

@wright 04-22-2004 05:54 AM

I bounce the ball four times and muster up some anger.

perfmode 04-22-2004 06:16 AM

I'm like Jason Kidd. I blow a kiss at the service box... People are starting to think I'm gay.

babar 04-22-2004 09:21 AM

Mentally kick myself for netting the last ball!!!!!!

dennis1188 04-23-2004 10:57 PM

IMO 95% of the time, I focus only on the toss, especially the ball release and then the racket impact point (commit the motion to muscle memory). Remember not to drop the shoulder after the toss. I hv six positions along the baseline (three each to serve the Add and Deuce). I only look across at the box very briefly to 'set the spot'.

Kirko 04-24-2004 10:13 PM

The seams of the ball they always have to be between my fore finger & middle finger ; give me the sensation that the ball "rolls off" of them .

Cigo 04-25-2004 07:03 AM

I relax and get as comfortable as possible.

normnmiles 04-25-2004 07:16 AM

I get into my service position and look over at my opponent and make sure they are ready to receive the serve. Then I pick a spot and serve. I try not to think of a lot of things during my pre-serve routine and try to stay focused at getting the serve in.

AndyC 04-25-2004 07:23 AM

I bounce the ball and hit it two or three times before serving.. however I have the racket in the grip I'll be using to hit the serve and I'll also be brushing the ball using the wrist action I'm going to need to produce the spin I need.. sorta priming the wrist and mind.

However u can telegraph what type of serve u're going to try of course if u do this... as can be done with picking a spot on the court u're going to serve to using your eyes :). This was pointed out to me by my brother (this just last year after having been playing me for 20 years.. no wonder he always read my serve so well).

cenzo 04-25-2004 10:43 AM

I do what the pros do. I go to the towel for a wipe down of my face. This allows me to gather myself, take a deep breath and decide what type of serve I want to hit and where I want to hit it. Then I step up to the line (not really thinking about anything), very calm, look at my opponent and go for it.

champ2087 04-25-2004 11:41 AM

I dont take alot of time between serves, but i usually think about how i want the next point played, then serve based on my decision.

Tim Tennis 04-26-2004 04:51 AM

I will usually just dangle my arms by my side and shake them slightly keeping them as loose and limber as possible. Right before I start my service motion I will exhale and them inhale as I start to load for the serve and exhale as I explode into the ball. My friends say they can tell how hard I am going to hit the ball by how loud I exhale right before I start my service motion.

You got to love the game.

jings 04-26-2004 06:16 PM

Settle down, same routine but visualising works for me. Always Pete, and usually one of his specials up the T. Or if I'm a little mad coz i lost an easy one I do the Dirty Harry ...

"I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinkin', 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Now, to tell you the truth, I've forgot myself in all this excitement. But being as this is the .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

... then let him have it. Try it! I don't always get it word perfect but makes you feel better anyway.

Robert Jones 05-03-2004 09:15 PM

Usually I don't think much about it unless my serve is off.

Then I concentrate on getting a better toss. Thats what usually gets off when I do too much auto pilot serving. Slowly my toss gets off, i get sloppy and make body adjustments rather than just catching the bad toss and re-tossing it.