Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What to do with Old Tennis Shoes?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=362006)

Bud 12-29-2010 03:03 PM

What to do with Old Tennis Shoes??
 
I've now got numerous pairs of tennis shoes that have small holes in the outsoles but have life left in them. I feel kinda weird donating them to charity as they may see the small holes and simply toss them.

So, I may simply leave them near the trash bin in the alley where, perhaps, someone homeless individual will take them for use or resale :confused:

What do other TT'ers do with their old tennis shoes?

kimguroo 12-29-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5282143)
I've now got numerous pairs of tennis shoes that have small holes in the outsoles but have life left in them. I feel kinda weird donating them to charity as they may see the small holes and simply toss them.

So, I may simply leave them near the trash bin in the alley where, perhaps, someone homeless individual will take them for use or resale :confused:

What do other TT'ers do with their old tennis shoes?

I use it for yard works (mow grass etc) ^_^ or quick visit to supermarket, home depot or post office.
don't have many old shoes but if I have too much of it, I will drop it to nike shoes recycle box at factory stores.

banter 12-29-2010 04:06 PM

I'd gut them and explore the inner workings of a tenis shoe. Once I'm satisfied, with the untouched old shoes, I would donate them to charity or recycle them.

samurai13 12-29-2010 05:27 PM

I put them in the shoe recycling bin in my local nike store

li0scc0 12-29-2010 05:42 PM

Garbage can.
Goodwill has stated they do not want worn out shoes (holes, tears, etc.). Hence, I put them in the trash. I have a pair going in the trash on the 3rd of January. They have hoels and tears, but my next pair doesn't arrive until the 3rd.

Carolina Racquet 12-29-2010 06:12 PM

+1 for the Nike Recycling... They use the old shoe material to build running tracks and other rubberized surfaces.

Ronaldo 12-29-2010 06:17 PM

Tie the laces together and hang them across your cable lines, if you have them. Classy move

http://www.gangwar.com/blog/uploaded.../lg-762690.jpg

kcmiser 12-29-2010 06:45 PM

I cut the rubber off the soles and make patches for my current shoes. I wear through the toe area before the rest of the shoe breaks down, so I patch that area to prevent it giving out before the rest of the shoe. Incidentally, super glue is the only thing I've found that will hold the patch on reliably. Saves a ton of money for us toe-draggers.

Ronaldo 12-30-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmiser (Post 5282497)
I cut the rubber off the soles and make patches for my current shoes. I wear through the toe area before the rest of the shoe breaks down, so I patch that area to prevent it giving out before the rest of the shoe. Incidentally, super glue is the only thing I've found that will hold the patch on reliably. Saves a ton of money for us toe-draggers.

Cheaper than the old school Eternal Toe, http://www.tractorsupply.com/workwea...pair-737750599

Speed Kat 12-30-2010 12:21 AM

i keep stashing them in the top part of my cupboards! eventually when i run out of space then i'll have to do a major clean out.. once theyve been out of commision for really long then I dont mind throwing stuff.. but if they have been involved in all the court action until few days ago or recently then I feel wierd throwing them away like if they had eyes the shoes would give me that look like "ohh so were to worn out for you huh and then menacingly look at the bright orange new nike box lying on the bed". I feel like i'm cheating on my gear that has served me so well.. just be a hoarder! you can always throw stuff tomorrow but once its gone ain't no coming back for them!

PureAlph4 12-30-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Kat (Post 5282856)
i keep stashing them in the top part of my cupboards! eventually when i run out of space then i'll have to do a major clean out.. once theyve been out of commision for really long then I dont mind throwing stuff.. but if they have been involved in all the court action until few days ago or recently then I feel wierd throwing them away like if they had eyes the shoes would give me that look like "ohh so were to worn out for you huh and then menacingly look at the bright orange new nike box lying on the bed". I feel like i'm cheating on my gear that has served me so well.. just be a hoarder! you can always throw stuff tomorrow but once its gone ain't no coming back for them!

Lol! Brilliant, and so true. :mrgreen:

Capt. Willie 12-30-2010 12:53 PM

They become my lawn mowing/yard work shoes.

Fedace 12-30-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5282143)
I've now got numerous pairs of tennis shoes that have small holes in the outsoles but have life left in them. I feel kinda weird donating them to charity as they may see the small holes and simply toss them.

So, I may simply leave them near the trash bin in the alley where, perhaps, someone homeless individual will take them for use or resale :confused:

What do other TT'ers do with their old tennis shoes?

I clean them up and use it to spank people with.

Bud 12-30-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 5282450)
Tie the laces together and hang them across your cable lines, if you have them. Classy move

http://www.gangwar.com/blog/uploaded.../lg-762690.jpg

Lol! The tied shoes across the power lines trick :)

Wonder who the hell was the first to do that... and why?!

Kevin T 12-30-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5282143)
I've now got numerous pairs of tennis shoes that have small holes in the outsoles but have life left in them. I feel kinda weird donating them to charity as they may see the small holes and simply toss them.

So, I may simply leave them near the trash bin in the alley where, perhaps, someone homeless individual will take them for use or resale :confused:

What do other TT'ers do with their old tennis shoes?

Depends on where you live in San Diego. When in SD, I'm in the Ocean Beach/Point Loma area. The homeless are better than recycling. You can leave anything outside and it's gone in a few hours...cans, bottles, shoes, clothes, furniture, whatever. I've never once visited a recycling center living in OB. :)

Ronaldo 12-30-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5284233)
Lol! The tied shoes across the power lines trick :)

Wonder who the hell was the first to do that... and why?!

Anyone that wore those old rubber sole tennis shoes or Converse All Stars that wore out in a month or less. See shoes hanging on a line as often as someone hanging clothes outside to dry. Progress, shoefiti

N23 12-30-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 5284268)
Depends on where you live in San Diego. When in SD, I'm in the Ocean Beach/Point Loma area. The homeless are better than recycling. You can leave anything outside and it's gone in a few hours...cans, bottles, shoes, clothes, furniture, whatever. I've never once visited a recycling center living in OB. :)

+1. Best way to feel like you're helping. Even if it is this way.

Ronaldo 12-30-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N23 (Post 5284358)
+1. Best way to feel like you're helping. Even if it is this way.

Our tennis clubs used to keep a collection box for old shoes in their lobbies but haven't seen one lately. These are private clubs and most of the shoes were not worn through. The shoes were/are donated. Used playgrounds with ground rubber instead of mulch and tracks created with recycled shoe soles. no wonder shoefiti is fading fast.

Bud 12-30-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 5284268)
Depends on where you live in San Diego. When in SD, I'm in the Ocean Beach/Point Loma area. The homeless are better than recycling. You can leave anything outside and it's gone in a few hours...cans, bottles, shoes, clothes, furniture, whatever. I've never once visited a recycling center living in OB. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by N23 (Post 5284358)
+1. Best way to feel like you're helping. Even if it is this way.

Yeah, I guess I'll go ahead and leave them in the alley. The homeless have a whole underground economy of bartering, buying, selling etc. I'm sure they'll end up keeping someone's feet warm and protected.

Hopefully, they don't end up hanging from the adjacent power lines :mrgreen:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse