Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OMG: Tennis shoes are stiff! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=362023)

tball 12-29-2010 06:38 PM

OMG: Tennis shoes are stiff!

Up until I found this forum, I never used the "special" tennis shoes before. I always played in some adidas (not specifically made for tennis). Last year it was "Forest Hills" (or something like this -- I never paid close attention). Then later in the year, I saw Nike Air Court Del Mar on sale, and got them (they were cheap). They were trully cheap. I played in them for a month, and went back to adidas. This year, I made myself a Christmas present -- "the proper" tennis shoes. They are Nike Breathe 2K10. Now I opened them, and put them on.

Now I am in shock. All I can say is: "OMG!". Are you guys seriously playing in those shoes?
They are so incredibly stiff, they feel almost orthopedic. There is also no cushioning in the forefoot whatsoever. It is supposed to be like this? Did I get some kind of defective pair?
Should I have ordered Barricades from Adidas? Are they different in feel from Nike?

I cannot believe the difference: my old Forest Hills are like socks with extra-soft soles. All I feel is the softness. Nikes feel like prosthetic boots. Will the break in and become soft with time? I can still send them back while they are new...

JoelDali 12-29-2010 06:41 PM

Are the insoles missing?

B2K10 are a pretty comfortable shoe out of the box.

tball 12-29-2010 06:52 PM

No insoles are in place.

T21D 12-29-2010 07:10 PM

It's pretty much a sucky shoe. I have slightly wide foot and it's still loose. I have to double on the sock. However, I found it too much on the flexy side. The right choice would have been the Barricade.

Uvijek Argen 12-29-2010 07:35 PM

tball, Definitely exchange them. Even with breaking period that shoe wont get any softer. 2K10 is the same midsole-outsole from the Vapor 6. And that is a horrible shoe.
Its obvious that you are like me (looking for a good confy-support shoe).
So far my best experience is with Asics Gel Resolution. Not just comfortable,but its the only shoe that never got hot and burn my feet inside during summer.

I personally will try once the Fila Alfa 2 cause I know fila does good shoes in general. But if things don't go well, Asics Gel Resolution will be my come back shoe.

So....highly recommend it.

mtommer 12-29-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 5282484)
Now I am in shock. All I can say is: "OMG!". Are you guys seriously playing in those shoes?
They are so incredibly stiff, they feel almost orthopedic. There is also no cushioning in the forefoot whatsoever.

Please don't take offense but it almost sounds to me like you're used to fairly cheap shoes that feel more like "pillows". This isn't effective cushioning at an athletic level. Stand on a wooden beam and then stand on an air mattress. Which has more support? I know that's an extreme example but well built athletic shoes are going to have firm support as firm is what supports in the first place. It's like wrapping an ankle with a tape job as opposed to putting on a sock. The sock is comfy but it provides no support. The cushioning for athletic shoes needs to come into play when your 100+ lbs of body weight is all being thrust about. It doesn't need to be geared towards cushioning when you're just standing around. The stiffness of the shoe overall will loosen up a bit as you use it.

frunk 12-29-2010 08:20 PM

I always thought the 2k10's were comfy? As for the OP: don't get Barricade 6's. They're AMAZING shoes, but you'll freak out since they're like cardboard when you first get them.

I think it's fair to say that CourtBallistec 2.3's are extremely padded shoes, no? Try some of those.

The_Question 12-29-2010 08:35 PM

Actually, the Breathe 2K10 is pretty soft. You might want to look into Nike Air Court Mo III or Adidas Barricade Team. Both have no break-in time in my experience...

Power Player 12-30-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uvijek Argen (Post 5282544)
tball, Definitely exchange them. Even with breaking period that shoe wont get any softer. 2K10 is the same midsole-outsole from the Vapor 6. And that is a horrible shoe.
Its obvious that you are like me (looking for a good confy-support shoe).
So far my best experience is with Asics Gel Resolution. Not just comfortable,but its the only shoe that never got hot and burn my feet inside during summer.

I personally will try once the Fila Alfa 2 cause I know fila does good shoes in general. But if things don't go well, Asics Gel Resolution will be my come back shoe.

So....highly recommend it.

UA, where are you buying your shoes? Just wondered if you were buying local. I hear that the asics are real comfy, but my foot is a little wide, so i have to be picky or i pay the price.

Uvijek Argen 12-30-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 5283215)
UA, where are you buying your shoes? Just wondered if you were buying local. I hear that the asics are real comfy, but my foot is a little wide, so i have to be picky or i pay the price.

Hey PP, I buy them most of the time here in the internet, but you should go and try them first in TP at international drive. I know they have them and you could see if they fit you well. I think they are more in the narrow side,but give them a go.
I was interested for the first time in trying some Yonex shoes and buy them here in TW(but $109.00 and no warranty..yikes!!), but passed by TP and tried them. Funny thing, they feel like somebody stick a Olive Garden bread from the heel thru the arch!!

Power Player 12-31-2010 08:24 AM

I can honestly say I have never owned a tennis shoe that has fit me right and felt light.

Barricade II - fit well, but leather sides tore and felt very heavy

Nike Breathe Cage 2 - narrow, but were very light and were noticeably easier to play in then barricades.

Nike CB 1.3 - narrow, had to go a size bigger so a little long, excellent shoe..not as light as the breathe cage 2 though.

My ultimate shoe would fit like a barricade and play like a BC2. I wonder if that exists.