Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   University of Wisconsin- La Crosse (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=362339)

dantesinferno18 01-01-2011 09:07 PM

University of Wisconsin- La Crosse

Can anyone tell me about their tennis and the school. I got a tennis letter from them and I applied there and everything I just want to know a little more about it. Also do they have a good business program?

Jonny S&V 01-01-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesinferno18 (Post 5288889)
Can anyone tell me about their tennis and the school. I got a tennis letter from them and I applied there and everything I just want to know a little more about it. Also do they have a good business program?

Idk about their academics, but from looking at their schedule, they play a lot of teams that either I play against or I know guys on the opposing teams, and they seem pretty solid. What's your national ranking/TR rating?

dantesinferno18 01-01-2011 09:29 PM

Idk my national ranking, I don't play national tournaments. I'm top 50 in my section(i I've no points to defend so my ranking is only gona go up) I played 1 singles fo my HS team my junior year and I'm gona this year, went to the state tournament last year. So I'm good but I'm not gona be an AMAZING college player.

If you are fimiliar with st. Marys I lost to their 2 singles in 2 tie- breaks so I'd be high on their singles line up if I went there if that helps

Jonny S&V 01-01-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesinferno18 (Post 5288926)
Idk my national ranking, I don't play national tournaments. I'm top 50 in my section(i I've no points to defend so my ranking is only gona go up) I played 1 singles fo my HS team my junior year and I'm gona this year, went to the state tournament last year. So I'm good but I'm not gona be an AMAZING college player.

If you are fimiliar with st. Marys I lost to their 2 singles in 2 tie- breaks so I'd be high on their singles line up if I went there if that helps

Hmm, I'm guessing that St. Mary's #2 would have a lot of trouble getting into the top 6 at La Crosse, but then I've never seen him play and am merely crunching results from players that I have seen that he's played... I would look into their academics first, and then see if they have what you want. That's why you are going to college.

DownTheLine 01-01-2011 09:52 PM

Was it a card? Hand written letter? Folder full of info?

dantesinferno18 01-01-2011 10:21 PM

I got a recruit letter telling me all about their tennis, and another sheet to fill out with my info, coaches, stuff like that to send back to their coach

duusoo 01-02-2011 05:49 AM

In recent years they have had to fund raise to keep the program. It isn't in very good shape. Always has had a few good players, mostly from within Wisconsin. I think I would look elsewhere, it's not a solid place for tennis.

gully 01-02-2011 07:39 AM

Coach and players did a great job to raise funds to keep the program afloat for the foreseeable future, but they'll need to continue to raise funds to do so. One drawback is the indoor facility, where they play home matches on a basketball-style (super-fast) surface. The school is solid (and inexpensive) for business and health sciences.

duusoo 01-02-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gully (Post 5289470)
Coach and players did a great job to raise funds to keep the program afloat for the foreseeable future, but they'll need to continue to raise funds to do so. One drawback is the indoor facility, where they play home matches on a basketball-style (super-fast) surface. The school is solid (and inexpensive) for business and health sciences.

It's still a program that has major limits. There was an indoor in the city, but it closed and has been converted to a Church. The fund raising will come around again. Look at UW Green Bay, they are a D1 program, but hardly with D1 talent. They virtually have no courts, use a private indoor club, and the outdoor courts are unusable, but a step above UWL, and you may get a scholarship!

DownTheLine 01-02-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesinferno18 (Post 5288984)
I got a recruit letter telling me all about their tennis, and another sheet to fill out with my info, coaches, stuff like that to send back to their coach

Don't get TOO excited, those go out to a lot of kids. Also like everyone else have said it doesn't look like it's in great shape.

None the less congrats

dantesinferno18 01-02-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTheLine (Post 5289899)
Don't get TOO excited, those go out to a lot of kids. Also like everyone else have said it doesn't look like it's in great shape.

None the less congrats

Who the he!! Are you???

DownTheLine 01-02-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesinferno18 (Post 5290183)
Who the he!! Are you???

..Did I say something?

bluetrain4 01-03-2011 08:25 AM

Why not check out St. Mary's? Not a great tennis school, but in a good conference. You know you can make the team. Then again, it's probably much more expensive than UW-Lacrosse.

dantesinferno18 01-03-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 5291808)
Why not check out St. Mary's? Not a great tennis school, but in a good conference. You know you can make the team. Then again, it's probably much more expensive than UW-Lacrosse.

Yea I got in at St. Marys they gave me $15,000 off but it's still more than la
crosse. Also i think lacrosse is a better school academic wise

statetennis09 01-03-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny S&V (Post 5288909)
Idk about their academics, but from looking at their schedule, they play a lot of teams that either I play against or I know guys on the opposing teams, and they seem pretty solid. What's your national ranking/TR rating?

Just wondering, what school do you play for? I currently play for a D3 team in wisconsin, but not La Crosse.

dantesinferno18 01-03-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statetennis09 (Post 5292433)
Just wondering, what school do you play for? I currently play for a D3 team in wisconsin, but not La Crosse.

im still in high school, you play for eau claire right i think we ran into eachother a while back (on here not in person)

duusoo 01-04-2011 05:46 PM

I am from Wisconsin. Whitewater, EauClaire, Oshkosh, are all better programs than LaCrosse, and for that matter are probably better academically. UW Eau Claire is considered 2nd in the State to Madison. Green Bay, for the life of me is a mystery that they are D1. Whitewater if they had the D1 stuff, would easily be much better than Green Bay. I would say look elsewhere within the State. Many better programs, and you won't need to fund raise to keep the program. Ultimately, it will be gone (men's).

dantesinferno18 01-04-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duusoo (Post 5295628)
I am from Wisconsin. Whitewater, EauClaire, Oshkosh, are all better programs than LaCrosse, and for that matter are probably better academically. UW Eau Claire is considered 2nd in the State to Madison. Green Bay, for the life of me is a mystery that they are D1. Whitewater if they had the D1 stuff, would easily be much better than Green Bay. I would say look elsewhere within the State. Many better programs, and you won't need to fund raise to keep the program. Ultimately, it will be gone (men's).

I was talking to my uncle and he said academically la crosse is second beat next to Madison, I'm not making my college choice based on tennis it is just a bonus if I can play tennis for the school
I go too

goran_ace 01-04-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesinferno18 (Post 5296025)
I was talking to my uncle and he said academically la crosse is second beat next to Madison, I'm not making my college choice based on tennis it is just a bonus if I can play tennis for the school
I go too

If you're top 50 in the MW section in your first year of 18s and are looking to stay in WI or MN you could probably find a roster spot on any team you want in those two states, and you'd probably start as a freshman/sophomore at any of them except U of Wisc, U of Minn, Marquette, and maybe Gustavus.

duusoo 01-05-2011 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 5296180)
If you're top 50 in the MW section in your first year of 18s and are looking to stay in WI or MN you could probably find a roster spot on any team you want in those two states, and you'd probably start as a freshman/sophomore at any of them except U of Wisc, U of Minn, Marquette, and maybe Gustavus.

I would say that is fairly correct. Possibly play at Marquette of U. of MN. with that ranking. I would look at UWGB, as they don't get players with that level of ranking, and you would for certain get a full scholarship. The coach is only part time, and won't put much time and effort into recruitment.