Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How should friends handle this? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=362905)

Cindysphinx 01-06-2011 10:58 AM

How should friends handle this?

I'm wondering how you folks would handle this situation.

Four friends (Amy, Bea, Cathy and Dora) are taking a five-day vacation. Bea, Cathy and Dora will be traveling on the same itinerary -- same flights. This means they will share a cab to the hotel, at a total cost of $60 one way.

Amy is going to make it a longer vacation to visit family in the area. She will fly separately both ways and will rent a car to get around. She will meet up with the others for the hotel portion of the vacation. Once she meets the others, there will be no need for anyone to have a car -- it will be parked (for free) at the hotel.

Here's the question: If Amy gives Bea, Cathy and Dora a ride from the hotel back to the airport (thereby saving them $60), should Amy receive $60 from the others? If they do not offer, should she ask? Should Amy just consider it a favor and let it go? Is there a better/different solution?

jhick 01-06-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5300334)
Should Amy just consider it a favor and let it go?

This.

10char

sureshs 01-06-2011 11:12 AM

How much is the distance?

theyhatethecans 01-06-2011 11:17 AM

My first post!

If she is cool, she probably won't mind picking you up and won't mention anything about money. Any time to be able to get together with friends has much greater value than money. If the 3 who are getting the cab ride are cool, you would all chip in and buy her dinner one night.

ProgressoR 01-06-2011 11:26 AM

Amy has the car. If she wants to put herself out to pick up the friends then its for no charge. If the friends want to save money and put pressure on her to pick them up and she doesnt want to, they should not push it. If she doesnt offer they shouldnt ask.

If this is causing them some consternation, then how will they share a holiday together. If Amy is the one thinking about it, then she should probably offer. If they have luggage she probably cant fit it all in the car anyway.

CoachingMastery 01-06-2011 11:38 AM

It reminds me of a common adage:

Remember favors received, forget favors given.

theyhatethecans 01-06-2011 11:45 AM

exactly...

BobFL 01-06-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Here's the question: If Amy gives Bea, Cathy and Dora a ride from the hotel back to the airport (thereby saving them $60), should Amy receive $60 from the others? If they do not offer, should she ask? Should Amy just consider it a favor and let it go? Is there a better/different solution?

Geez, no of course not! Is she a friend or a taxi-driver providing a service?

Anyways, Cindy you should definitely write a novel and put Joanne Rowling to shame. There is so much more drama in your threads than in Harry Potter....

Cindysphinx 01-06-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 5300368)
How much is the distance?

Distance is about 16 miles/34 minutes one-way (between hotel and airport) according to Mapquest.

Amy will then probably hit the road to go to her next destination. This destination is in the general direction of the airport (meaning she won't have to double back), but of course dropping the others off at the airport will delay Amy and will require her to leave the freeway.

VaththalKuzhambu 01-06-2011 12:13 PM

B, C and D ought to give ($60/4=)$15 each to A.

LameTennisPlayer 01-06-2011 12:19 PM

I suggest a mud wrestle... the winner is void of paying, the rest have to split.

VaththalKuzhambu 01-06-2011 12:23 PM

I did not read this carefully before my previous post. A dinner and couple drinks should suffice.

Quote:

She will fly separately both ways and will rent a car to get around. She will meet up with the others for the hotel portion of the vacation. Once she meets the others, there will be no need for anyone to have a car -- it will be parked (for free) at the hotel.

sureshs 01-06-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LameTennisPlayer (Post 5300575)
I suggest a mud wrestle... the winner is void of paying, the rest have to split.

With the women ripping each other's clothes apart?

sureshs 01-06-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5300537)
Distance is about 16 miles/34 minutes one-way (between hotel and airport) according to Mapquest.

Amy will then probably hit the road to go to her next destination. This destination is in the general direction of the airport (meaning she won't have to double back), but of course dropping the others off at the airport will delay Amy and will require her to leave the freeway.

Then she should just treat it like a favor rendered. Of course, she should expect thank yous and reciprocation later if she needed a favor.

jmverdugo 01-06-2011 12:40 PM

I am guessing they are not that good friends, I would just say: you are taking us to the airport! B!!t(h!!

Just kidding, the best solution would be to just ask, hey frienda can you give us a ride to the airport? thanks! JMO

Pocky 01-06-2011 12:55 PM

I'm guessing you're Amy

hb_hound 01-06-2011 12:55 PM

This would never be an issue with four men. Why would she not give them a ride or expect compensation for said ride?

Cindysphinx 01-06-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb_hound (Post 5300658)
This would never be an issue with four men. Why would she not give them a ride or expect compensation for said ride?

It's not gender. It's more personality.

And I'm not revealing which person I am. I will, however, give my opinion when the votes are tallied.

And of course I will bump this thread and tell you how it all worked out!

LameTennisPlayer 01-06-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 5300603)
With the women ripping each other's clothes apart?

Who wears clothes in a mud wrestle anyway? It's usually a prerequisite of entry- clothesless...

hb_hound 01-06-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5300664)
It's not gender. It's more personality.

And I'm not revealing which person I am. I will, however, give my opinion when the votes are tallied.

And of course I will bump this thread and tell you how it all worked out!

It is a gender thing, watching four women trying to split a check at lunch, for example, is quite comical. There are detailed discussions on who ate what and how the appetizers should be split. Men on the other hand just throw money in a pile on the table and the waitress usually makes out rather well on the tip.
I am curious to see the outcome.