Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Who won this point (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=363112)

aceX 01-08-2011 12:33 PM

Who won this point

I hit a stroke that was in. Opponent framed the ball. The ball managed to just get over the net - bounced once on my side. Without me touching the ball it went back over the net and double bounced on my opponents side.

Netspirit 01-08-2011 12:34 PM

He won it.

aceX 01-08-2011 12:37 PM

Oh okay, how come?

AznHylite 01-08-2011 12:39 PM

That's because the ball managed to touch your side of the court first. If the ball bounces on your side, it's your ball to hit now. Because it managed to go back to the your opponent's side, the point becomes his. I hope that makes sense! :???:

theZig 01-08-2011 12:40 PM

you have to hit the ball into his court, it's not about where the ball lands the second time. from a technical standpoint, his shot bounced twice and therefore he won. you were allowed in that situation (and to my knowledge, only in this situation) to reach over the net and hit it.

aceX 01-08-2011 12:46 PM

I was thinking, though:

Opponent hits a ball thats going out, so I don't hit it. Why didn't I hit the ball? Because its going out anyway.

Ball bounces on my side but is going back over anyway. Why didn't I hit the ball? Because its going in anyway.

[d]ragon 01-08-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theZig (Post 5306310)
you have to hit the ball into his court, it's not about where the ball lands the second time. from a technical standpoint, his shot bounced twice and therefore he won. you were allowed in that situation (and to my knowledge, only in this situation) to reach over the net and hit it.

Yes. If a ball bounces on your side but bounces backwards to your opponents side due to spin or wind, you can reach over and hit the ball before it bounces twice and without touching the net. It happened to Roddick one match and apparently he didn't know that

aceX 01-08-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theZig (Post 5306310)
it's not about where the ball lands

Wow :shock: I thought it was all about the ball lands.

theZig 01-08-2011 12:49 PM

but you weren't the one who hit the ball in. if the ball had hit the net, or close to the net instead of actually clearing the net after the bounce you'd have no qualms, i'm sure. its the fact that after his shot landed in your court, it bounced twice. the point therefore was over. doesn't have to "bounce twice in your court", just has to hit the ball in your court. after that, if it bounces twice, the point is awarded to him.

theZig 01-08-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceX (Post 5306327)
Wow :shock: I thought it was all about the ball lands.

way to take something out of context, lol

aceX 01-08-2011 12:51 PM

So I could catch the ball on my racquet and then walk to the net and drop it on my opponents side?

theZig 01-08-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceX (Post 5306338)
So I could catch the ball on my racquet and then walk to the net and drop it on my opponents side?

what? where does anything in the thread lead to that

aceX 01-08-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theZig (Post 5306331)
but you weren't the one who hit the ball in. if the ball had hit the net, or close to the net instead of actually clearing the net after the bounce you'd have no qualms, i'm sure. its the fact that after his shot landed in your court, it bounced twice. the point therefore was over. doesn't have to "bounce twice in your court", just has to hit the ball in your court. after that, if it bounces twice, the point is awarded to him.

Isn't the only reason we have a racquet so we can get the ball back onto the opponents side?

aceX 01-08-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theZig (Post 5306343)
what? where does anything in the thread lead to that

Sorry a bit of a random thought.

So the racquet must make contact with the ball. Is it specified how long that contact can or cannot be?

theZig 01-08-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceX (Post 5306345)
Isn't the only reason we have a racquet so we can get the ball back onto the opponents side?

right. so "you" can. you didn't hit the ball that bounced back on the opponent's side. think of it this way, when a winner is hit the ball bounces in your court, and then bounces again either on a wall or out of the court, right? does the winner not count because the second bounce bounced out of the court? of course not. the rule is simple, after the ball bounced in your court, if it bounces again, regardless of where, your opponent gets the point. you have to hit it before it bounces twice, back into his court. key point being, you have to hit it.

aceX 01-08-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theZig (Post 5306351)
right. so "you" can. you didn't hit the ball that bounced back on the opponent's side. think of it this way, when a winner is hit the ball bounces in your court, and then bounces again either on a wall or out of the court, right? does the winner not count because the second bounce bounced out of the court? of course not. the rule is simple, after the ball bounced in your court, if it bounces again, regardless of where, your opponent gets the point. you have to hit it before it bounces twice, back into his court. key point being, you have to hit it.

What if I swing at the ball and although I miss it, the wind generated from my swing pushes the ball back over? "I" still got the ball back

theZig 01-08-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceX (Post 5306356)
What if I swing at the ball and although I miss it, the wind generated from my swing pushes the ball back over? "I" still got the ball back

are you honestly asking this?

T1000 01-08-2011 01:03 PM

This thread should be deleted, it's as bad as some in the pro player discussion section.

jester911 01-08-2011 01:07 PM

You must make contact with the racket on the ball to win the point after it bounces in on your side of the court.

If backspin carries it back to the other side of the net from you this is the only case where can reach over the net and hit the ball but it must make contact with your racket.

It is really hard to believe this is a serious thread.

PeterPanda 01-08-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T1000 (Post 5306365)
This thread should be deleted, it's as bad as some in the pro player discussion section.

I second that oppinion TW!