Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   2011 TW Weight Loss club (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=363319)

Fee 01-10-2011 11:02 AM

2011 TW Weight Loss club

I brought up this idea after reading some of the posts in the Gastric Bypass thread. Before I post my fitness/weight loss goals for all the world to see, I would like to see who else is interested in posting theirs. Perhaps we can help each other out as the year progresses in this thread. Anyone else? Bueller?

Cindysphinx 01-10-2011 11:36 AM

Mmmm, I don't really have a weight loss goal, other than to avoid pigging out such that I need to worry about losing weight.

I certainly have dietary goals. And I wouldn't mind noting my weight now and noting it again at the end so that I could see if it had changed.

For the record, when I say I would "note my weight," I do not mean that I would give you people an actual number. No way. The opening weight would be "0", and the subsequent weight would be plus or minus a number. :)

atatu 01-10-2011 11:46 AM

I would be in for this. I'm about 10 pounds over my summertime playing weight at the moment and I've been pretty lazy the last few months. I did pick up a TRX over the holidays and have been using it regularly, but it's not enough. I know I really need to sign up for a fitness bootcamp, but with my kids schedules, the only time I have is from 6am-7am which is not fun....

r2473 01-10-2011 11:57 AM

I started my "diet" the second week of November. I'm 6' 1" and started out @ ~250lbs. This weight is pretty unnatural and unusual for me. I got this heavy basically on purpose. Doing a weightlifting / bulking thing. This morning I weighted 227lbs.

My goal weight is 195-200lbs. I hope to reach that by July 1.

My plan is a combination of diet and exercise. I follow what I call a High/Medium/Low (H/L/M) model. So I vary my calories and exercise each day. Hopefully you understand what I mean.

For example, yesterday I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a can of chicken for lunch, and chicken and rice for dinner. No snacks. This is a "low calorie" day. I combined that with 2 hours of tennis singles in the morning and interval running in the evening.

Today I will up the calories, but still remain in deficit. For exercise I did a bit of deadlifting and ran for 30 minutes at pace.

Tomorrow I will probably up my calories to "full maintenance" (or above) and probably do some easy weights and an easy run.

Wednesday will probably be another "low calorie / high exercise" day. But, I will see how I feel.

The cycle will continue pretty much as I've written above. Sunday will probably be another "low calorie / high exercise" day.

My goal is to lose 2lbs. / week for the next ~2 months. Until I get down to ~215lbs. Then more like 1lb-1.5lbs. / week......and I have to work harder for less weight loss.

Itagaki 01-10-2011 01:07 PM

Damn r, that seems really complicated. Good luck

Im not really planning to lose weight compared to where i am right now, but eventually i'd like to be at this same weight with less body fat

sureshs 01-10-2011 01:27 PM

I need to lose 20 lbs

OldButGame 01-10-2011 01:40 PM

Our fulltime outdoor season here starts 'bout April 1'st and i wanna drop 10-15 lbs by then,..should be able to if i really get my *** in gear,...

r2473 01-10-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itagaki (Post 5311255)
Damn r, that seems really complicated. Good luck

I must have just explained it badly. It's a fairly standard "zig-zag" diet plan.

I did a body composition test before I started in November. I'll post that with my ending body compositon when I finish the diet. Then we'll know if I lost fat weight or "other" weight.

Maybe I'll even post pics. I took some at the start and then again this weekend. I'll take pics periodically to keep a visual record. It is actually kind of interesting to see.

SuperDuy 01-10-2011 08:39 PM

I need to gain 30 pounds, thats my goal. Not possible but Il try.

kevoT 01-10-2011 09:05 PM

I started in mid november at 88kg and managed to get down to 81kg (179lbs), but because of christmas I went back up to 85kg.

When finding this out I decided to go superman on my training (cardio) and am now back down to 83kg. My goal is 75kg.

So far it has been beneficial to my knees and movement! I was fast already but it was much more wear and tear style of running. Not as tired as well :)

SFrazeur 01-10-2011 09:19 PM

For me weight loss is not a good indicator. I've lost probably 12 pounds body fat, but I've gained a lot of muscle mass. I weigh a couple pounds more than before I stared getting in shape.

-SF

Fee 01-11-2011 10:06 AM

Realistically, I am about 30 pounds overweight, maybe 35, but at this point, my goal is to lose 10 pounds to start off. As I'm sitting here feeling the ache and stiffness in my lower back, that first ten pounds feels like Everest. I really need to get in for a back x-ray but in the meantime, I will continue to do my various home workout DVD's in the middle of the day once my back has loosened up a bit.

I won't actually be weighing myself because I believe our home scale is inaccurate. I will measure my weight loss by which clothes start to fit me again and the way I look in the mirror.

J_R_B 01-11-2011 10:31 AM

I just spent the winter on a bulkiing diet with a heavy lifting exercise cycle. My weight is currently (or was as of 1/3/11) 205, up from 187-190 at the end of the playing season.

The lifting cycle will continue through the end of this month. At that point, I will transition into a more cardio/plyo focused exercise plan from Feb-Apr to prepare for the start of the USTA season.

My diet is already transitioning back to a slow cut. I am currently at a 200 calorie deficit which will increase to a 500 calorie deficit by the end of the month, and I hope to lose about 5lbs a month at a 500 calorie deficit through April back to the 185-190 range (although hopefully with more muscle this summer).

I don't think the zig-zag diet really helps as much as just making sure your average daily intake over the month is at your target regardless of when you get it. The complicated zig-zag diet is effective for bodybuilders who need to lose that last tricky bit of bf from 7%-5% for shows. For the rest of us, I think a regular deficit diet will get you where you want to go as well as the zig-zag diet. Unless, of course, zig-zagging helps you stay on target overall. If that is the case, then go for it.

r2473 01-11-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_R_B (Post 5313030)
I don't think the zig-zag diet really helps as much as just making sure your average daily intake over the month is at your target regardless of when you get it. Unless, of course, zig-zagging helps you stay on target overall. If that is the case, then go for it.

Zig-zagging does 3 main things for me:

1) It seems to keep my metabolism higher. If I just do regular, steady dieting, it seems like my body adjusts and simply burns less instead of burning reserves.

2) I do like not having to stay strict and like being able to eat "bad" foods fairly often.

3) I don't feel weak and low energy on my diet because I am not in deficit for extended periods. This is both a physical and mental benefit.

I also don't like being too structured. My zig-zag is just a loose outline of a diet. On any given day, I really just go by feel.

r2473 01-11-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 5312092)
For me weight loss is not a good indicator. I've lost probably 12 pounds body fat, but I've gained a lot of muscle mass. I weigh a couple pounds more than before I stared getting in shape.

-SF

Good point here. Your body composition changes are more important than simple scale weight. That is why I did my body comp test before I started, so I could accurately monitor my progress / results.

matt.flynn60 01-11-2011 11:04 AM

I want to loose another 15 lb and get down to 205.
I changed by eating habits back in October and I've dropped 10 lb since.
I can really tell a difference in my quickness so that has kept me motivated.

Cindysphinx 01-11-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 5311089)
I would be in for this. I'm about 10 pounds over my summertime playing weight at the moment and I've been pretty lazy the last few months. I did pick up a TRX over the holidays and have been using it regularly, but it's not enough. I know I really need to sign up for a fitness bootcamp, but with my kids schedules, the only time I have is from 6am-7am which is not fun....

Your bootcamp is 6 to 7? We start at 5:30. Lightweights! :)

SuperFly 01-11-2011 12:42 PM

Yeah, I could stand for a some fat loss. I have a bit of a spare tire in front (not a gut, but it's still there :oops:)

Anyone got good fat burning exercises that isn't long, boring cardio?

J_R_B 01-11-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFly (Post 5313349)
Yeah, I could stand for a some fat loss. I have a bit of a spare tire in front (not a gut, but it's still there :oops:)

Anyone got good fat burning exercises that isn't long, boring cardio?

Change your diet first. Eating at a caloric deficit is by far the biggest key to fat loss.

As far as exercise, I think the best is high intensity interval training (HIIT). This can be done with any exercise where you alternate short bursts of full exertion within a longer low-intensity cardio workout. For example, with running, I will jog laps at the gym and sprint the straightaways on 2 of every 4 laps. This will cut down significantly on the amount of time you have to spend on the cardio (i.e. 20 mins of interval sprints is worth at least 45 of just plain jogging). If you don't like running, you can do any exercise the same way alternating low and high intensity. The other benefit for tennis players is that tennis itself is a series of high intensity intervals with a lot of rest time in between, so this type of cardio training is very closely related to the flow of the game itself (much more close than just jogging 4 miles or something).

OldButGame 01-11-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevoT (Post 5312086)
I started in mid november at 88kg and managed to get down to 81kg (179lbs), but because of christmas I went back up to 85kg.

When finding this out I decided to go superman on my training (cardio) and am now back down to 83kg. My goal is 75kg.

So far it has been beneficial to my knees and movement! I was fast already but it was much more wear and tear style of running. Not as tired as well :)

Yeah,..I hear that!!!...Christmas (or my irresponsible eating i should say) hit me hard too!!!!....LOOK OUT FOR THE EGGNOGG!!!!!!!!:shock::razz: